SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

New Liveaboard

15K views 14 replies 14 participants last post by  LoboPops 
#1 ·
Hi all,
Love this site. This is all new to me but I don't care. I have two children 15 and 10 and a husband who has been transferred to San Diego. We currently live in the OC and hate it. I need the name of a good boat broker who can get us a suitable boat and liveaboard slip. I know I am asking for the impossible, but I'm embracing the journey.Anyone out there have some good information about liveaboard homeschooling and raising kids on boats let me know. I'm looking for any practical advice preferably with a positive outlook.:)
Thanks to all, Ocean Mom

#2 ·
I know more about being the parent of a teenager than I do about being a Liveaboard, of which I am both.

Make sure each of your kids has his or her own space to call and care for as their own or they're going to go nuts -- and drive you nuts, too. (I'm probably not telling you anything you don't already know.)

I am a new Liveaboard, a mid-40's single male on a 29 foot sloop in Newport, Oregon, altogether different from your situation. My boat is big enough for me alone, although I wish I would have gone a few feet longer and wider. I am learning as I go: the first lesson I learned was about space management and purging possessions. Be ready for that.

Other than that, I am going to back off and let the more experienced Liveaboards respond to your question -- and, if you don't mind, learn from their advice myself as well.

Good luck.

TonyInNewportOregon

#3 ·
Ocean,

I'm not a liveaboard, but I do have a 30ft sailboat slipped at Alamitos Bay Marina, Long Beach. This is just to the north of Orange County. At our marina before you get on the liveaboard list. You need to have a boat in a slip. At our marina the slip rental list is about 6 months for a 30-35 ft boat. I do have a resource for you so you can call marina's down to San Diego. Socal's local Boating Magazine is called 'The Log' and they put out a yearly marinal guide for all of Ca. You should be able to pick one up at your local West Marine. The nearest to you would be in Newport Beach. If you cannot find the magazine try the website http://www.thelog.com. Hope this helps.

#4 ·
Ocean Mom, We've lived aboard since 1972 and raised our two children aboard from infants to adulthood. It can be a wonderful life! I have no idea what the "OC" is that you're living in. Maybe I'm a few thousand miles from this "OC". Anyway, our son and daughter both thrived in their small cabins. 'take care and joy, Aythya crew

#5 ·
Congratulations on moving aboard! I think you will love it. I live on my boat, but it is only me so I can’t tell you about raising kids on it. But what I can tell you that it is a unique lifestyle that is very enjoyable and at times, just a little frustrating (you’ll see).

You will also get to know the boat inside and out and gain a whole lot of confidence in your boat and yourself.

Have fun!

PS. God bless you, your husband, and your family for your military service. I’m retired Navy myself.

#6 ·
If you are in San Diego now and are really looking for a boat broker who cares, try talking to: rongullan@juno.com

I bought my boat through Ron and his team, they're wonderful people to deal with and really take time to make sure you get what you want.

Normal disclaimer: I have no commercial interest in Ron or his brokerage, just got terrific service from them.

#7 ·
Liveaboard in Long Beach

I have been extremely interested in learning about sailing and living on a boat for the last couple years. I saw a post about you having a boat in Long Beach. Are you or anyone you know considering letting anyone live aboard your boat? I'm not sure how that works, and I really don't know anyone to talk to. Completely separate, I also don't know where to go to take a class on sailing. I have my private pilot certificate and I really enjoy that, but I am looking forward to the slower pace of sailing.

#9 ·
The idea of living aboard someone else's boat has arisen previously...and been shot down almost completely. Boats, even small ones, are fairly expensive and letting a stranger liveaboard it is taking a huge risk, financially and emotionally, since most people care about their boats.

There is no upside for someone to let you live aboard their boat generally speaking and a lot of downsides to it.

BTW, you'd be better off starting a thread in the LEARN TO SAIL Forum about where to take classes in the Long Beach area. Also, recommend you read the POST in my signature, as it tells you how to start a new thread and all that.

I have been extremely interested in learning about sailing and living on a boat for the last couple years. I saw a post about you having a boat in Long Beach. Are you or anyone you know considering letting anyone live aboard your boat? I'm not sure how that works, and I really don't know anyone to talk to. Completely separate, I also don't know where to go to take a class on sailing. I have my private pilot certificate and I really enjoy that, but I am looking forward to the slower pace of sailing.

#8 ·
San Diego

I am a retired Coastie living aboard at SunRoad Marina. They have a great facility (pool, deli, party area, exercise room) and have always been very good to me. 619-574-0736.

You might also try the Navy morale marina at Fisherman's Cove just southof Coronado. It's an older marina, but they allow liveaboards and give active duty the highest preference. I do their Beer Can racing series and they are a great group. Curt Snyder runs the show and he can be reached at 619-522-8680.

One of the many good brokers is Ian Van Tuyl, office 619-291-6313 / cell 619-507-4416. I bought my Jeanneau on the east coast and I have no business interests with him, but he has always given me excellent advice.

You will love San Diego! Good luck!

#10 ·
We absolutely LOVE living aboard (2 adults, no kids, 8 years+ aboard a 33-foot boat). A couple of thoughts about making the transition:
1. You can't possibly "weed through" your possessions and subtract enough things that the remainder will fit. Instead, you have to start from scratch and figure out what you can't do without. In practice, now while you're still on land: (for example) take every single thing out of your kitchen. Put it in the basement. Now go about your life. Whenever you need an item for cooking, go down to the basement and get it (only one thing per trip) and put it back into the kitchen. Sooner or later will come a moment when instead of going to the basement for the automated-apple-peeling-gizmo, you will just improvise with a knife that is already upstairs ... congratulations, you've begun identifying what you can't do without. Repeat the process in other areas of your life.
2. Figure out what makes you feel like you're camping out, and fix that, or your life afloat will be frustrating and short-lived. For me, going to the marina head to take showers and walking back with wet hair was a deal-breaker, so we made sure our boat included a shower with hand-held sprayer and hot water.
3. Now while you're on land (if you haven't already) transfer your music CDs to an iPod and your cookbooks to computer files and scan your photo albums. You just don't have the space for this stuff, and the moisture/mold will get 'em anyway.
4. I like Capt Force's suggestion about everyone having their own space. You also have to give each other mental space, because sometimes you won't have enough physical space. No shoulder surfing. You may overhear someone's phone conversation - pretend you didn't, no comments unless invited. (Ditto for bathroom noises!)
5. Think about hobbies, this is another part of 'camping out' if you can't do your favorite recreation. Pool tables and model trains aren't going to work on a boat for obvious reasons.

We'll have more thoughts for you as you move aboard, wouldn't want to overwhelm you yet. Welcome to the life, and thanx for your service.

#11 ·
Eryka—

OceanMom's post is fourteen months old, and I don't know if she even is an active member at this point, as that was her one and only post... thread was revived by CaliforniaPilot...

#14 ·
Hey so I really want to liveaboard in Newport or anywhere in OC really! I don't own a boat but I'm wondering where to find a list of rentals available if there are any. I know how to sail and take care of a boat just dont own one. I know that people do rent them out cause a bunch of my friends rent boats in marina del Rey. Just need some help contacting those people. If anyone has any info it would be much appreciated! Thanks

#15 ·
Great suggestions that I will use and I'm retired Navy.

Have recently learned to check what the Marina's Liveaboard policies are. Learned a couple weeks ago that one of the marina's in Kemah, TX require the boat to be 40' or longer. Too long, as far as I am concerned, for a single person to crew!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.