SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

DC area liveaboard Marinas

35K views 26 replies 16 participants last post by  partgypsy 
#1 ·
Can anyone please recommend a liveaboard marina that would be within reasonable commuting distance of Washington, DC? I will be living in DC for a year and am considering living aboard rather than renting an apartment. I will have a car for the commuting, so that will extend my potential commuting radius somewhat.

Thanks for your help!

#2 ·
I know that the marinas in DC itself are fairly high-demand, and that liveaboard slips there are hard to get. You might want to try the marinas on the Occoquan river, which is about 45 minutes south of DC.

If you had searched sailnet, you would have found this thread regarding the same subject.

#4 ·
Jnew,

Good luck..I lived on the boat in Woodbridge, and the commute to DC at 5:45 am was 40 minutes, at 6 it was well over an hour, and at 6:15 anyone's guess.

Unless you can use the VRE trains, or live on Maine Ave, be real leary of the commute times often quoted here...especially if you do not know the back roads or alternates. Herrington Harbor is a wonderful marina, but would be an awful commute to the west side of DC or McLean.

As above if your job is truly in DC, you may have luck south of woodbridge, va on the Potomac, there are very few liveaboard slips (legal) in Fairfax County and the Occoquan.

Good luck

dave

#5 ·
Lots of marinas and a great liveaboard community in Annapolis, and I can make it from Annapolis almost to Dulles airport in VA in an hour at 6 am - maybe that's the upside of a down economy, fewer people with jobs so fewer commuters? There's a commuter bus direct from Annapolis to downtown DC that's very easy - takes about an hour but at least you can spend that time looking at something other than the brake lights of the car in front of you. The other advantage of Annapolis is that when you're ready to go sailing on the weekend, you're only 10 minutes from the Bay.

#6 ·
There is always the Gangplank Marina in DC. It is right near a metro stop and grocery store. However, I think their waiting list for the limited liveaboard slips is well over a year. The best way to get in as a liveaboard at Gangplank seems to be to buy a boat that already has the rights. They often come up on Craigslist. We keep our boat on the Occoquan near Woodbridge, but I'm not aware of any marinas on the river that allow liveaboards.

#7 ·
Traffic in the DC area is a challenge. A lot depends on where specifically you will be working, and the nature of your boat.

The bridges over the Occoquan are pretty low for most sailboats so that is not an option for most people. If you have a boat that will fit under the Rt 1 and railroad bridges PM me for a reference to a marina there.

Sailing on the Potomac is poor.

Herrington Harbour North takes liveaboards and has a lot to offer.

There are a number of good choices in Annapolis. Ask for details and I will elaborate.

If you are truly downtown and can manage the waiting list, Gangplank Marina or Capital Yacht Club are good choices. Things are a little gritty on the waterfront but there is a lot to be said for public transportation in DC.

You should expect about 7 or 8k / year for a 40' boat.

There are lots of places South of Annapolis you could moor or anchor out for less. There are private docks as well, but you need to be local to find them.

sail fast, dave
S/V Auspicious

#8 ·
DC Liveaboard options

JNew,
I work in Arlington and liveabord. We lived at Tantallon Marina for a year and half and had a 30-50 minute commute (traffic dependent). Tantallon is on Swan Creek off the Potomac about 5 miles south of the Wilson Bridge (MD side). Its cheaper than Gangplank and they have space available. Nice people there, but there are no ammenties except pumpout, electric and water. Nice new floating docks. We just moved a few weeks ago to Annapolis. My commute is a little longer and rent is higher but the sailing space is worth it. Eryka's post is accurate re Annapolis. She's a neigbor now :) .

We checked out Herrington Harbor. Very nice resort style living, but its seems farthest from eveything.

Deale is much the same.

If you want to simply liveabord, I recommend looking close to DC. If you want to sail on the weekends or after work I recommend commuting from the Annapolis area.

Good luck.;)

#9 ·
I agree with eryka and Shack, Annapolis is great; but I work in Greenbelt. I don't know what you would do if you worked in Bethesda, Rockville or McLean. In addition, if you are on north side of Back Creek Annapolis or on Spa Creek you have easy walking access to Annapolis.
Eryka is on the "evil" side of Back Creek :rolleyes: . She needs a dink or car to get into Annapolis.

#11 ·
the evil side of Back Creek

Actually, we prefer to think of it as the "fiscally responsible" side of Back Creek ... at least, that was the case when we were marina shopping several years ago, you paid a premium to walk to downtown instead of dinghying around.

BTW, went on our first sail of the season yesterday <*gloat gloat*> although we only stayed out a couple of hours - the wind over the 40-something degree water was still chilly. What everyone's been saying about new sails is true - I figure we got a full knot of extra boat speed compared to similar conditions with our old sails. This even though we downsized our headsail from a 130% to a 110%. Wheeeee!

#15 ·
Eryka,
Yeh there is a little more cost, depends on the marina. I had my first sail of the season back in Feb (double gloat). 68deg in Back creek and 42 degrees on the Bay (brrrrrrrr). Looking forward to this weekend!
Have they finished the fuel dock modifications??? The eeeevvilll side of back creek has the fuel dock, so have to float over to the evil side to fill the tanks... Guess you can't have it all on the eastport side. :)

#16 ·
First sail is tomorrow and Saturday hopefully. Love how the bopat felt motoring last weekend with its bottom a cleaned and newly painted. Felt like she slipped through the water.

Dave

#17 ·
James Creek Marina‎

Here you go. James Creek Marina‎ , southern tip of downtown DC. Allow you to stay 3 nights in a row, then leave for a night, and come back for 3 nights. Sounds like it's loosely enforced if at all. 8 bucks a foot per month (if you sign for 12 month slip, otherwise 10.25 month to month) Has power, water, and land showers. Lots cheaper than gangplank. Hope this helps,

-Loofa

#19 ·
Just back from Annapolis and I`m very interested in the liveaboard options there. I`ve been to Mears Marina, but I would be very interested to hear some more tips and trics in the neighbourhood.
Which marina`s are you in? Where is the most active liveabord community? What is the cost difference between Spa Creek and Back Creek for instance?

Thanks for all info.

#20 ·
Mears is the most expensive in on backcreek.
Eryka, how can you say "fiscally responsible"? You live on a boat! :D
On the "heavenly" but not so "fiscally responsible" side of backcreek there is
EYC and HornPoint as well as Mears. If you are into swimming pools and tennis courts.... well look somewhere else. The "eeeevvilll" side of backcreek is less expensive and you get more benefits, but you have to dink over to the get to walking distance of eastport and annapolis.
The bigger problems is finding a slip for the size of boat you have. I had very few options at the time and ended up at EYC (i was only looking on the eastport side of backcreek). I think i have the best slip around since it stick out at the end of the S pier and can sit on the bow and watch all the boats come and go at happy hour.
Here at EYC there are about 5 boat with liveaboards; three of those or sociable as we have happy hour and/or dinner together periodically. For the boat show, Eryka hosted a gathering on the other side.
I don't know much about spa creek. I imagine it is costly.

#22 ·
Mears is the most expensive in on backcreek.
Mears also has a policy not to allow liveaboards, as do many other marinas in the Annapolis area.

Jabins, Port A, ALM, and Eastport Yacht Center for sure welcome l/a. There are a few others that want to see you and your boat before committing.

#21 ·
Here on the other side, about 30 or more of the 300 boats in our marina are liveaboards so its quite an active community. Also swimming pool and clubhouse, etc And we too are in an outside slip so we can sit in the cockpit and watch what we call the parade. There are 3 big marinas on this side, Annapolis Landing, Port Annapolis, and Jabins. All allow liveaboards. Port A and Jabins are working yards and allow you to work on your boat.

And Cy, I maintain that living on a boat IS fiscally responsible - especially here. Where else in the Washington area can you get waterfront property this cheap?

BTW, we can always take the water taxi to town if we don't want to dinghy.

#24 ·
You don't need "liveaboard rights' at Tantallon. Just be willing to pay their high rate, plus the extra $120/mo "liveabaoard fee" (and not complain about there being NO shoreside facilities at all to justify that fee)... ...and you're in. As long as you have shallow enough draft to get up the creek.

#25 ·
Tantallon

Tantallon is a relatively easy commute to DC, but has some issues that should be addressed. Before I mention negatives, I'll start with the positives. It is located in a beautiful, tranquil setting; it has an abundance of parking, and three newer floating docks.
Unfortunately it has inept management and lacks shoreside amenities. There are no restrooms, laundry facilities, or showers yet they still charge a liveaboard fee. Many of the vessels are decrepit, and many of the slipholders just as unkempt. The negatives far outweigh the positives, which is sad, because Tantallon has the potential to be a wonderful marina.

#26 ·
Or... if you are a glass-half-full type of person. Tantallon is a beautiful and serene location with its fair share of old salts. It was very amusing to see who stayed aboard during the recent snow storms, and who high-tailed it back to the 'burbs. Now these vanilla yachtsmen are returning and bitching that their dock isn't shoveled out yet. Depends what you're looking for, I guess.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.