SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

liveaboards in Texas

22K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  chessie324 
#1 ·
I am a senior in college in Texas and dream a living aboard. Does anyone live aboard on the Texas coast? I would probably be around Kemah, Texas or somewhere close to Houston.

Thanks!
Reid

#2 ·
Reid,
Ther are several marinas in the Kemah area that allow livaboards. Waterford Harbor for example, one of the nicer marinas, allows live aboards. There are workout facilities,a swimming pool and hot tub, a tennis court, resturant, laundry and nicely equipped bathrooms and showers. Watergate Marina and Seabrook Shipyard are a couple of others. Good luck.
David

#6 ·
The closest marina to Victoria is Nautical Landings marina at Port Lavaca about 20 miles. The Serendipity Resort and Marina at Palacios is about 55 miles. Both allow live aboards.

The Corpus Christi City Marina is downtown Corpus. There are several others in the vicinity; Bahia Marina at Ingleside, Aransas Pass Marina at Aransas Pass, Port Aransas Marina at Port Aransas, Rockport Harbor, Fulton Harbor and Key Allegro Marina in the Rockport/Fulton area. I not sure about the Aransas Pass Marina, but all the others allow live aboards.

There may be other smaller marinas I don't about.

Rodger

#7 ·
thanks for the research and info

My wife and I are hoping to get back on the water in a liveaboard. We are currently living in Fulton.
We moved here after losing our home to Gustav. Since we have to start all over we are saving towards fixer sail.
We used to live aboard in Tampa area, our youngest son was born on the Sunchaser.
thanks again , fair winds. Charles & Deb

#9 ·
We are live aboards in Port Aransas, TX. We are at the Island Moorings Marina. I must say that it is great here. Super nice people, great live aboard community, great amenities and the prices are reasonable. It takes us about 40 minutes to sail to the gulf and this is suppose to be one of the best hurricane holes around. Thank God we didn't have to find out this year! We are about 25 minutes from Corpus where you can get everything you need for your boat and life. We've also been told that the water is much nicer here than in the Galveston area but it's nothing like the FL keys.

Good Luck!

MeckDC

#11 ·
MeckDC ?

Meck, we sail around Rockport but have sailed down Lydia Ann Channel but have never crossed over to Port A. Can you suggest a place to tie up and grab lunch?

Mike

We are live aboards in Port Aransas, TX. We are at the Island Moorings Marina. I must say that it is great here. Super nice people, great live aboard community, great amenities and the prices are reasonable. It takes us about 40 minutes to sail to the gulf and this is suppose to be one of the best hurricane holes around. Thank God we didn't have to find out this year! We are about 25 minutes from Corpus where you can get everything you need for your boat and life. We've also been told that the water is much nicer here than in the Galveston area but it's nothing like the FL keys.

Good Luck!

MeckDC

#12 ·
Hi Mike,

Your best bet would be to contact the city marina which is just past the jettys on the port side. There are some temporary slips at the very end of the channel for loading and unloading. You may be able to dock there but otherwise you'd have to tie up at the city marina. There is a free trolley that runs once an hour but from there you can walk pretty much anywhere in town. We've had lunch at the Wharf, it was good and not too expensive. We've heard the Beach Street Station & Grill is good for lunch but have only been there for breakfast. They are closed Tues. - Thurs. Here's a link to some other restaurants in Port A.

Restaurants in Port Aransas, Texas

Let me know if you need anything else.

MeckDC

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.