Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-25-2009

farfromsane is on a distinguished road
What to Choose?

Hi,
I am new to the sailing/ living aboard thing and I am looking for advice. I have no clue as to what I am doing, so naturally I have probably started at the wrong step by looking at boats and already picking a favorite.

The Plan: three years from now, starting on the Gulf coast of Florida (of course plans change, but this is today’s plan)
I want a boat that will last me 20+ years (I hope I will love this lifestyle that long at least).
I need a boat big enough for two guys 6’4” to live. We are not a couple, so it needs to have two fair sized beds/cabins.
It needs to be small enough, that after by buddy gets tired of sailing (if he does), or we get tired of each other, I can handle the boat myself while look for a new ship mate, or not.
I plan to cruise the coasts and Caribbean islands, but don’t want to preclude a trans Atlantic, or a jaunt to Hawaii once I have a few years experience if I feel bold enough.

Hopefully that is enough info to get started. A boat that has already caught my eye is the Hunter 410. Does anyone live on, or know anyone who is? Does someone have a better recommendation for a $100-125K budget.
Thank,
John
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-25-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Umm... I wouldn't recommend a 41' LOA boat for just two people. There are many boats that would be far better choices IMHO. I would highly recommend you look at James Baldwin's Boat List, as well as the Bluewater boats thread on this site.

I would recommend that you get a boat in the 35-37' range instead.

I would also highly recommend that you reserve about 20% of your $100-125k for refitting, upgrading and repairing any boat you do buy. Boats are NOT like cars, and they generally do need some customization to work for the people sailing her, even when brand new. Few are "ready to go" as purchased.

There are plenty of threads on here about doing similar plans to yours, and you'd be wise to go through and read the advice given in them.

Welcome to Sailnet. I'd highly recommend you read this POST to help you get the most out of sailnet.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-27-2009

farfromsane is on a distinguished road
Thank you Sailingdog, based on your advice and reading other posts on this site and Living Aboard Forums, I have scaled back to your recommended lengths of 35'-37'. I am leaning more and more to the 35’ to lower up keep costs and solo sailing manageability.
Thx.
John
Old 04-27-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I wouldn't discount boats as small as 30' LOA though...there are a lot of good boats in the 30-35' range as well.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.