SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Living Aboard (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/living-aboard/)
-   -   Insurance for a Lake Ontario Liveaboard? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/living-aboard/54730-insurance-lake-ontario-liveaboard.html)

zAr 05-27-2009 08:46 PM

Insurance for a Lake Ontario Liveaboard?

Can any liveaboards on the Canadian side of Lake Ontario tell me what insurance company they're using?

I'm hoping to liveaboard, haven't bought the boat yet but thought I'd clear up the insurance question first, and so far three companies have said their coverage requires the boat to be laid up for the winter.

I was hoping to live on the boat in winter. And no, I don't have car or house insurance.

Thanks!

patrickrea 05-28-2009 01:11 AM

Hauling the boat in the winter sounds normal as an insurance requirement. I use the Skipper's Plan and it has them same requirement from Nov 1 to April 30.

eryka 05-28-2009 07:37 AM

You might try getting in touch with the author of this blog: We Live On A Boat
They live aboard year-round in Canada. Good luck. We've lived aboard for 7 years in warm(?) well, relatively warm, anyway, Annapolis, MD. Winter, for all its challenges, also has its own interesting hunker-down vibe in the liveaboard community.

zAr 05-28-2009 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patrickrea (Post 490086)
Hauling the boat in the winter sounds normal as an insurance requirement.

The problem is the marinas around here forbid living on the boat while it's on the hard. They cite the insurance companies as the reason for this rule, as they claim it's a fire hazard.

Eryka: That's a good suggestion and I'm going to follow up on that. Thank you!

patrickrea 05-28-2009 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zAr (Post 490118)
The problem is the marinas around here forbid living on the boat while it's on the hard. They cite the insurance companies as the reason for this rule, as they claim it's a fire hazard.

I'm at Toronto Island Marina and I know for a fact that there is a couple of live-a-boards here all year round. I know that Lakeshore Yacht Club also has a few all year people. The rule (law?) is that there has to be 2 boats as a safety measure for each other. Try calling Lakeshore. They may know.

Sailormann 05-28-2009 10:12 PM

Scarborough Bluffs Marina has a (relatively) large number of live-aboards and they also have float-homes there. I am pretty sure that Port Credit Marina still has liveaboards. There are a few yacht clubs that have year-around boaters. It's not likely that they are uninsured.

You might try asking around the Dogfish Pub at Scarborough Bluffs - one of the permanent residents will probably be happy to help you out.

zAr 05-28-2009 11:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patrickrea (Post 490341)
I'm at Toronto Island Marina and I know for a fact that there is a couple of live-a-boards here all year round. I know that Lakeshore Yacht Club also has a few all year people. The rule (law?) is that there has to be 2 boats as a safety measure for each other. Try calling Lakeshore. They may know.

There are liveaboards at TIM year round? And they can live on their boats out of the water? Hrm. Seems I've been misinformed.

Lakeshore is a bit far for me. I was hoping to live at TIM in summer and Harbourfront Centre's Quay West in winter.

zAr 05-28-2009 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sailormann (Post 490396)
You might try asking around the Dogfish Pub at Scarborough Bluffs - one of the permanent residents will probably be happy to help you out.

Thank you, that's good advice.

patrickrea 05-29-2009 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zAr (Post 490415)
There are liveaboards at TIM year round? And they can live on their boats out of the water? Hrm. Seems I've been misinformed.

Lakeshore is a bit far for me. I was hoping to live at TIM in summer and Harbourfront Centre's Quay West in winter.

When I was headed downtown this winter, there was a 40' at the quay just east of the silos at the foot of Bathurst St. The ice had crushed it and it was resting with water right at the coachroof. I wonder if their bubbler died.

zAr 05-29-2009 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patrickrea (Post 490476)
When I was headed downtown this winter, there was a 40' at the quay just east of the silos at the foot of Bathurst St. The ice had crushed it and it was resting with water right at the coachroof. I wonder if their bubbler died.

I saw that boat too and wondered what had happened to it, only it was completely sunk.

Bubblers are meant for shallow water, places like Port Credit Marina or Frenchman's Bay. Ice Eaters are the preferred choice where waters are deeper than, I think, 15 feet.

However, Bubblers and Ice Eaters are only useful if you're in a protected harbour like Quay West, Port Credit, Frenchman's Bay.