Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-27-2009

zAr is on a distinguished road
Insurance for a Lake Ontario Liveaboard?

Can any liveaboards on the Canadian side of Lake Ontario tell me what insurance company they're using?

I'm hoping to liveaboard, haven't bought the boat yet but thought I'd clear up the insurance question first, and so far three companies have said their coverage requires the boat to be laid up for the winter.

I was hoping to live on the boat in winter. And no, I don't have car or house insurance.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-28-2009

patrickrea is on a distinguished road
Hauling the boat in the winter sounds normal as an insurance requirement. I use the Skipper's Plan and it has them same requirement from Nov 1 to April 30.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1978 30' Hughes Northstar 1000
1964 20' Bertram Moppie
Old 05-28-2009
Banned

eryka is on a distinguished road
You might try getting in touch with the author of this blog: We Live On A Boat
They live aboard year-round in Canada. Good luck. We've lived aboard for 7 years in warm(?) well, relatively warm, anyway, Annapolis, MD. Winter, for all its challenges, also has its own interesting hunker-down vibe in the liveaboard community.
Old 05-28-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickrea View Post
Hauling the boat in the winter sounds normal as an insurance requirement.
The problem is the marinas around here forbid living on the boat while it's on the hard. They cite the insurance companies as the reason for this rule, as they claim it's a fire hazard.

Eryka: That's a good suggestion and I'm going to follow up on that. Thank you!
Old 05-28-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by zAr View Post
The problem is the marinas around here forbid living on the boat while it's on the hard. They cite the insurance companies as the reason for this rule, as they claim it's a fire hazard.
I'm at Toronto Island Marina and I know for a fact that there is a couple of live-a-boards here all year round. I know that Lakeshore Yacht Club also has a few all year people. The rule (law?) is that there has to be 2 boats as a safety measure for each other. Try calling Lakeshore. They may know.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1964 20' Bertram Moppie
Old 05-28-2009
Here .. Pull this

Sailormann will become famous soon enough
Scarborough Bluffs Marina has a (relatively) large number of live-aboards and they also have float-homes there. I am pretty sure that Port Credit Marina still has liveaboards. There are a few yacht clubs that have year-around boaters. It's not likely that they are uninsured.

You might try asking around the Dogfish Pub at Scarborough Bluffs - one of the permanent residents will probably be happy to help you out.

Last edited by Sailormann; 05-28-2009 at 10:16 PM.
Old 05-28-2009

Quote:
I'm at Toronto Island Marina and I know for a fact that there is a couple of live-a-boards here all year round. I know that Lakeshore Yacht Club also has a few all year people. The rule (law?) is that there has to be 2 boats as a safety measure for each other. Try calling Lakeshore. They may know.
There are liveaboards at TIM year round? And they can live on their boats out of the water? Hrm. Seems I've been misinformed.

Lakeshore is a bit far for me. I was hoping to live at TIM in summer and Harbourfront Centre's Quay West in winter.
Old 05-28-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailormann View Post
You might try asking around the Dogfish Pub at Scarborough Bluffs - one of the permanent residents will probably be happy to help you out.
Thank you, that's good advice.
Old 05-29-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by zAr View Post
There are liveaboards at TIM year round? And they can live on their boats out of the water? Hrm. Seems I've been misinformed.

Lakeshore is a bit far for me. I was hoping to live at TIM in summer and Harbourfront Centre's Quay West in winter.
When I was headed downtown this winter, there was a 40' at the quay just east of the silos at the foot of Bathurst St. The ice had crushed it and it was resting with water right at the coachroof. I wonder if their bubbler died.

1964 20' Bertram Moppie
Old 05-29-2009

Quote:
When I was headed downtown this winter, there was a 40' at the quay just east of the silos at the foot of Bathurst St. The ice had crushed it and it was resting with water right at the coachroof. I wonder if their bubbler died.
I saw that boat too and wondered what had happened to it, only it was completely sunk.

Bubblers are meant for shallow water, places like Port Credit Marina or Frenchman's Bay. Ice Eaters are the preferred choice where waters are deeper than, I think, 15 feet.

However, Bubblers and Ice Eaters are only useful if you're in a protected harbour like Quay West, Port Credit, Frenchman's Bay.