Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-11-2009

imagine2frolic is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by painkiller View Post
You could probably weld pontoons onto one of those suckers and have one hell of a party barge.
Now we're typing multis. I like that!!!!!.. ...i2f

BORROWED, No single one of us is as smart as all of us!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 06-11-2009

sailingSammy is on a distinguished road
If it's cheaper to live on land than on a boat how come there are so many people living on derilect boats in the Florida Keys? Most of them are on SSI or some other type of public assistance.
I had a friend that relocated to Los Angeles in the 90's and all he could afford was to rent a boat to live on.
In my area, Buffalo, NY, you can get a slip for a 30' boat for about $1200 for the 5 month season and that is with electricity and water, you couldn't get a room in a crack house for that price.
As for an RV, I believe you would find the registration would be a lot higher than for a boat and with a motor vehicle you MUST have insurnace, not required for boats, at least not here.
If the boat is only being used as shelter how much maintenance would there really be, I mean fiberglass isn't exactly known for being bio-degradable.

Either way I wish you and yours all the best and don't let the nattering nabobs of negativism get you down.
Old 06-11-2009
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Sammy, not to be contrary, but I do have to take exception with one of your comments. The Buffalo crack house I stayed in for 5 months last spring came to only $1184 - not counting the crack. It was over in Winchester.

Just kidding - welcome to SN dude.

Signed,

The Pattering Pabob of Positivism
Old 06-11-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Sammy—

At least in every marina I've dealt with, if you wanted a slip, which is what it sounds like the OP has, you are REQUIRED TO HAVE INSURANCE. Usually, it is a minimum of $100,000 liability coverage.

If a boat and and RV are both being used for strictly shelter, then the boat is going to have higher maintenance, since the underwater gear still needs to be maintained to a certain degree—through-hulls, plumbing, etc, are still equipment that needs maintenance, even if the boat is not being used for transportation, since if they're not maintained, the boat WILL SINK. The plumbing on an RV can be ignored, and there will be no risk of the RV sinking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingSammy View Post
If it's cheaper to live on land than on a boat how come there are so many people living on derilect boats in the Florida Keys? Most of them are on SSI or some other type of public assistance.
I had a friend that relocated to Los Angeles in the 90's and all he could afford was to rent a boat to live on.
In my area, Buffalo, NY, you can get a slip for a 30' boat for about $1200 for the 5 month season and that is with electricity and water, you couldn't get a room in a crack house for that price.
As for an RV, I believe you would find the registration would be a lot higher than for a boat and with a motor vehicle you MUST have insurnace, not required for boats, at least not here.
If the boat is only being used as shelter how much maintenance would there really be, I mean fiberglass isn't exactly known for being bio-degradable.

Either way I wish you and yours all the best and don't let the nattering nabobs of negativism get you down.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 06-11-2009

tager is on a distinguished road
I love that Tiaraswake confirmed that I am speaking the truth! Oh, and SD, you are wrong, there is always a risk of your RV sinking.
Old 06-11-2009

imagine2frolic is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by tager View Post
I love that Tiaraswake confirmed that I am speaking the truth! Oh, and SD, you are wrong, there is always a risk of your RV sinking.

One would have to agree, but what are the chances compared to a boat not being maintained? Maybe an act of God by flooding, or shear stupidity trying to drive through the flooding? I think that's grasping for straws. .....i2f

BORROWED, No single one of us is as smart as all of us!

Old 06-11-2009
Hunter 33.1

NolaSafari is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mokusiga View Post
Hey Guys,,, You may have failed to notice, as most of you are caught up in your own little world, but TiarasWake has given up on you all your drama and doesn't respond any more.
To be honest, I would have given up on this when all the abuse started coming in and the whole thing started getting rather weird and surreal.

I am rather dissapointed that you all (well, almost all) decided to use this thread as some sort of pissing contest, when in actual fact the family in question are just trying to survive and were genuinely asking for help.

NCC320 and others have tried to offer decent advice/encouragement. Shame Tiara probably wont read it.

Saildog, smack and a few others are the reason I wont be coming back to such a pathetic website. I only joined out of curiosity, but you lot really need to get a life. Yes there is a lot of good stuff, but the bull5hit on here makes me want to puke.

Why dont you all get a life and actually sail your boats rather than just talk about it.

Thank you and good bye
Lose one gain one. I guess all the reasons he is leaving is the reasons I found the thread interesting. Not that I don't have sympathy for someone in need but just going to a forum and asking for a free boat is not the way someone truly in need would do it. I would think the time would be better spent contacting the many organizations which assist those of us who have hit the skids. Having enough skills to find an internet connection, locate the correct forum and write a nicely worded request for a free boat requires some knowledge. Not providing the details of the boat such as manufacture and other details makes me wonder what marina it is in. The one thing you get at marina is free advice on repairs. The OP seem light on details except the ones which pull at your heart strings.

Last edited by NolaSafari; 06-11-2009 at 10:24 PM.
Old 06-11-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by NolaSafari View Post
Lose one gain one. I guess all the reasons he is leaving is the reasons I found the thread interesting. Not that I don't have sympathy for someone in need but just going to a forum and asking for a free boat is not the way someone truly in need would do it. I would think the time would be better spent contacting the many organizations which assist those of us who have hit the skids. Having enough skills to find an internet connection, locate the correct forum and write a nicely worded request for a free boat requires some knowledge. Not providing the details of the boat such as manufacture and other details makes me wonder what marina it is in. The one thing you get at marina is free advice on repairs. The OP seem a light on details except the ones which pull at your heart strings.
The lack of details on the boat was one of the things that makes me pretty suspicious. If the OP really wanted help, why wouldn't she at least say what kind of boat it was. There are often issues that are specific to certain makes/models of boats, like the Catalina "smile" on the older Catalina 30s... and they often have fairly standard fixes, that are often well known.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 06-11-2009
cruising all I can

joethecobbler is on a distinguished road
Living aboard is my choice, influenced by economics and a general disdain for land ownership as well as renting,vehicles,ins. etc.
Never understood why paying 2-3 times the asking price over a 30 year stretch for something was a good thing. each to there own.
As far as insurance- in vegas they always told me insurance was a suckers bet. I only buy it when forced to by gov't regulations/laws. ( being judgement proof -can't get blood from a stone)
I've found many yards and marinas that do not require insurance. I favor them (of course - I don't have insurance) . Also the insurance requirement is another method of excluding- "those types" you know whom I mean.
I like it when I hear people talking about the difficulty of boat maintenance and repairs. It's how I get cash to buy the things I cannot find (discarded,floating,abandoned) or make, for myself and those that depend upon me.
I thank god everyday for those less capable , but better "heeled", who are willing to part w/ considerable sums of money to do simple tasks. (ie. oil change,rig adjustment,rudder repair,bottom sanding/scraping/painting, etc).
I also felt that many here were acting hostile toward the OP, of course not suprised,it seems alot of people get pleasure from judging others .
I checked back hoping to hear that they took the boat offered in maine.
I don't see a problem w/ infants/children or pets aboard , we traveled with all of that (3 year old and 4 dogs) Just gotta do more dingy trips (no motor for the first 1-2 years) .
As far as the cost issues, fiberglass does seem to be quite resilient. My boat is a 1976 and solid as a (plastic) rock ! Every so often I go snorkeling w/ a scraper !
Careening sounds good, tough to find the right location. Better to get hauled and meet more wealthy yachties w/ vacation plans and maintenance needs. Living on the hard for a week or two in a DIY yard usually results in many weeks of work refferals and many new long term aquaintences.
I hope I get to meet many of you in the future, sounds like we could have a great simbionic relationship.
I have even expanded my knowledge and skill set to include canvas and sail repair/fabrication (more pleasant than fiberglass work) .
happiness and success is being content w/ who you are, not what you have.
Took me a long time to figure that out, but I think I got it when I gave up alot of what I thought I couldn't do without.
I've never been truly happier.
If the economic situation persists (and I think it will) Many more folks may come to the same conclusion.
In the mean time ,
I will not laugh in your face or look down upon you, when gas is $4 a gallon, and your jobs, stocks and benefits dissappear and your crying about loosing junk you never needed to begin with,
even though you may not have been as cordial or considerate to me or others in the past.
I wish the original poster the best. real or imagined
Old 06-11-2009

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about
hello, I am Barrister xort from Mogadishu. i have $40 millions in cash in a trimaran in Massachewsits. if you will help me to take the money to a bank for the deposit, i will give you a finders fee of 15%
god bless you and I look forward to hearing from you hastily.
ps, you must have a checking account for which to deposit the cashes into.
god bless you

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.