Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2009
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
I've stayed out of this but before any titles change hands, I would advise a check out of the actual truth of the situation. There are lots of SN's around the area who could stop by to view the existing situation and verify the truth of it. There are people in true need AND there are scammers who take advantage of the charitable impulses of others. Just be sure the OP is the former before boats change hands.
Kudos to all who have tried to help in any event. I would rather be the guy who GOT scammed...than the scammer.
Old 06-12-2009
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
Just be sure the OP is the former before boats change hands.
Kudos to all who have tried to help in any event. I would rather be the guy who GOT scammed...than the scammer.
+1 Cam.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 06-12-2009

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough
I don't have a dog in the hunt.

I don't care about need ect.. I got a guy wants a boat and a guy that doesn't want a boat. Everything else is just noise to me.
Old 06-12-2009
On the hard

CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about
I hear ya Chuckles, this place can get noisier than a monkey cage at times...
Old 06-12-2009
Abysmally Stupid

jorgenl is on a distinguished road
Good on ya, Chuckles.
Old 06-12-2009
On the hard

CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
At least I have a boat. No one has ever seen the Smacktanic... either in photo or video. Or seen you sailing for that matter. And all we ever see you doing is talking trash.
Guess again. I went sailing on his boat on Lake Travis so chill out SD. I know smack ain't your favorite but you tend get get a bit excited at times.
Old 06-12-2009

ccriders is on a distinguished road
[QUOTE=sailingdog;495264]Sammy—

"the boat is going to have higher maintenance, since the underwater gear still needs to be maintained to a certain degree—through-hulls, plumbing, etc, are still equipment that needs maintenance, even if the boat is not being used for transportation, since if they're not maintained, the boat WILL SINK"

The boat next to me in the marina has sat unattended for three years and has yet to sink. Actually that's an exageration. about two and a half years ago the wind blew in the companionway drop boards and enough rain water to put the hull about two inches below the waterline. I foolishly notified the marina and the owner, reluctantly replaced the drop boards, using that cheap panneling found in most garage conversions, but that's it, no other TLC whatsoever. Fiverglass is prety remarkable stuff. Also, the marine growth on the hull must provide some protection against sinking as thick as it is.
John
Old 06-12-2009

imagine2frolic is on a distinguished road
All sorts of things can be witnessed in the marina. Boats you would have thought unsinkable do sink. Boats you think should froma sneeze survive the ugly storms. Lack of maintance just adds to the chances of sinking.......i2f

BORROWED, No single one of us is as smart as all of us!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-12-2009
Waiting For Spring

krozet is on a distinguished road
I have read this thread post to post and this might be off topic but I am going to say something...

It's my dream to spend some time sailing. I have decided that next spring I will be buying a boat and spending the summer on Lake Ontario getting use to the boat. Come October / November I will be leaving my career of 10 years and heading south. I have saved enough money and carefully invested it to the point that I will be receiving enough monthly income to live on my boat. I have no illusions that it will be hard but the freedom, joy and happiness will out weight the work. I also know that there will be issues that I have to siphon off income producing savings to pay for and realistically I will be able to sail for 5 to 6 years before I have to return to Canada and start working again. But I am 31 and I have always done things for other, this I will do for me.

The reason I did not buy a boat this year is because I am trying so save up $25,000 to purchase the boat. What I can't seem to understand is the concept that there are people out there giving away or abandoning a dream?!? If I can ask, where exactly does one find a dream? I am from Canada and this isn't something that happens here from what I know.

Kroz
Old 06-12-2009

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about
you give a boat away because that is exactly what it is worth. This ain't brain surgury.

The 'free' boat the OP originally got is now costing big time. So was it 'free'? The boat is sinking, how much is that worth?

You get what you F@ckin PAY for. One can easily get a boat for free, put $20,000 into it to make it good and then have a boat that is worth $10,000. You just paid $20,000 for a $10,000 boat! You get what you pay for...or less.
Boats can be very expensive to maintain, especially ones that have been neglected.

The stupidity around here is sometimes mind boggling

Thanks for the entertainment

And yes dog is right, the original poster is obviously a scammer for all the reasons dog cited. If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck it IS a f@ckin duck

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.