Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2009

MMR is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to MMR
Awww

Tell us how you REALLY feel
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-12-2009

SEMIJim will become famous soon enough SEMIJim will become famous soon enough
Y'all have to excuse my buddy xort. You see, he sails on Lake St. Stupid, and that's enough to make any sailor a bit... twitchy. But, beyond that, he's spent a good deal of time and money buying a decent boat and making her better. The idea of somebody asking to be given a boat and then expecting to live on it for... well, next-to-free (which rather implies doing the minimum necessary to keep the water out), probably offends his sensibilities.

Now The Admiral and I haven't spent the money I suspect xort and his Admiral have. And I know he's put more work into their boat than I have ours. But still: I can empathize with his outrage.

Some of us love boats. To some of us, boats aren't Kleenex, to be cavalierly used until they're not fit for anything anymore, and then discarded. To some of us, a boat neglected is a painful sight.

Jim
Old 06-12-2009
Waiting For Spring

krozet is on a distinguished road
Wasn't trying to pi$$ anyone off here... I am currently saving my way into a mid eighties Bayfield 29. I just thought that a structurally sound boat that someone was looking to give away, I could put a lot of work into it myself and professionally as needed for $15,000 - $20,000 and still save myself $5,000 to $10,000. I could single hand for a year or two on that money.

My step father is a carpenter, I have one grandfather who is a mechanic that specializes in diesel engines and another grandfather with a machine & fabrication shop (he is a master with a welder).

This thread just peaked my curiosity on the whole abandoning issue. If someone doesn't want something that has a solid hull but needs work I thought it would be great to spend time rebuilding what has to be done, engine, rigging, interior spending time with family I don't normally see and taking them out for some sailing once the hard work is done. I wasn't saying I needed a free boat or stating a sob story.

I have been looking for a few months around me and have narrowed my choice down to the Bayfield 29, there are a few to be had but they are far from fixer uppers. BUT during all my searching I have not some across anyone at local marinas talking about abandon boats. Maybe it is just different in Canada, the sailing season is small and most boats get hauled out for the winter.

Again, sorry for rubbing anyone the wrong way.

Last edited by krozet; 06-12-2009 at 05:33 PM. Reason: spelling...
Old 06-12-2009
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Wow - save for one post, this thread sure did a 180 into the light! Nice work everyone! And Chuckles - you are seriously the man!
Oh, blow it out 'yer ass, you sanctimonious little twerp. Who set you up, in your own mind, as the arbiter of threads good and bad? Are YOU on your way to Maryland to help out? Heck, no! You're just duck hunting at the county fair grounds, as usual. Did you get the impression that Chuck needed your approval? You act like a mother in search of a kid to raise. Cut it out. Or load up for the trip to Maryland.
Old 06-12-2009
Hunter 33.1

NolaSafari is on a distinguished road
Sailindog's statement back in post 109 struck a cord with me. If she had truly received a derelict boat as a gift why is the first post about asking for a replacement. The OP certainly exhibits the skills associated with a seasoned user of the internet and forums. I would of thought that when she first moved on to the boat that a long string of what is this for and how do we pump the head or how to keep the childern safe posts would of materlized. I am sure most of us do the same thing now when we acquire a new possison of any intricacy, we run to the internet and find the best support group for that item to learn the finer points of the item.

What I see as the real harm is that the OP did not provide enought information to support her case. By not being forth coming with informaion she sparked debates between many good samaratinas who would of gladly helped if they were confident that she was in need. Each and everyone of us has a set point where our BS alarm goes off, it is lower for some than others. Many who have the low BS set point may be the ones who will help the most you just have to be sure not to trip the alarm.
Old 06-12-2009
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailaway21 View Post
Oh, blow it out 'yer ass, you sanctimonious little twerp. Who set you up, in your own mind, as the arbiter of threads good and bad? Are YOU on your way to Maryland to help out? Heck, no! You're just duck hunting at the county fair grounds, as usual. Did you get the impression that Chuck needed your approval? You act like a mother in search of a kid to raise. Cut it out. Or load up for the trip to Maryland.
And 180 again...

Let me turn the question around Sway. When Dog slams her from the get go, then you come along and throw down a sarcasm-drenched, vitriolic coup de grâce like THIS (which made the FC Hall of Shame by the way - thanks for that)...I think the question is...

Who appointed you guys the arbiters/interrogators of each new posters' "real" motives - motives you somehow seem to know at post #1?

Did you notice that you used the word "we" in your beatdown? Who's "we"? Who do you represent? Hmmm.

I think the more intriguing question is who exactly it is you guys feel the need to "protect" against these "obviously" bad people? The membership of Sailnet? "Less intelligent" members who can't spot baddies themselves and need some sarcastic, omniscient bouncers at the door to feel safe?

Then you guys proceed to set up some weird, made up "gauntlet of logic" through which the poster must pass before you let us all know that they're "okay" - that they're "legit"?

Man, oh, man. Who's being sanctimonious?

Sure, when you stand at the door and beat up every single person who dares to walk in, you'll ALWAYS get the bad guy. But at what cost?

Look, Cam said it best. Yeah, Cam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
Just be sure the OP is the former before boats change hands.
Kudos to all who have tried to help in any event. I would rather be the guy who GOT scammed...than the scammer.
And then you have Chuckles. He's the man.

You? Mallard or Pochard...I can't quite tell yet.
Old 06-12-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
And 180 again...

Let me turn the question around Sway. When Dog slams her from the get go, then you come along and throw down a sarcasm-drenched, vitriolic coup de grâce like THIS (which made the FC Hall of Shame by the way - thanks for that)...I think the question is...
Exactly how am I slamming TiaraWakes from the get go? My post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
Exactly what are you looking for? A free boat??? Help fixing the boat you have?? Just curious, what kind of boat are you, your husband and the toddlers living aboard currently? How did it get into such bad shape—certainly that did not happen overnight? Why did you not address the issue prior to it becoming such an issue, especially given that this boat is also your home??
was asking some pointed and important questions, that I think need to be answered. Please note that TW didn't answer any of them. Only a complete dumb@ss would think that asking for clarification is slamming someone.

Considering that the OP has not answered any of the questions... and only posted further sob story material... it seems pretty light on facts...and sounds more the tactics of someone looking for a free handout than actually having a problem that needs solving. I've pointed out that fixing a transom on a boat is often simpler, cheaper, faster than getting another "free" boat. Yet, TW did not want to post any information towards that much more reasonable solution.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

Last edited by sailingdog; 06-12-2009 at 08:32 PM.
Old 06-12-2009
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
If you think I got it right Smacky...I must have gotten it wrong.
I was expressing my thoughts late in the game. My suspicions would have been raised from the start as well. That doesn't mean "don't help...this is a scammer"...just means this doesn't smell right...more info needed. And that's all anyone wanted. There was NO smackdown and you go trolling for a fight as usual and even post about it over on AS to draw others in.
We know the game...it's the only one you play.

Oh yeah...and WE is just about anyone who has followed your antics over the last year.

Last edited by camaraderie; 06-12-2009 at 08:37 PM.
Old 06-12-2009
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Sure, Dog. I would say that it was pretty clear in the OP that she was asking for a replacement boat. And explained that the existing one had a trashed, leaking transom. Agreed? Now, let's look at your first reply...

Quote:
Exactly what are you looking for? A free boat???
I could be wrong but I'm going to guess that the 3 question marks is the international signal for "are you freakin' kidding me???". Would that be close to what you were thinking at that point? You think that came across?

Then this zinger...

Quote:
How did it get into such bad shape—certainly that did not happen overnight? Why did you not address the issue prior to it becoming such an issue, especially given that this boat is also your home??
So now you've asked her to first explain how she could be so negligent of her current boat - "especially given that this boat is also your home".

That's pretty confrontational dude. Can't you see that? You've not addressed her actual question. You've put her on the defensive.

Now, one could say that these are perfectly legitimate questions and you had no ill intent. But you've also said since that you suspected her from the beginning, that she was just throwin' up a "sob story", and she's just looking for a "free handout" (back to the ???), etc.

Maybe you honestly didn't mean it as a slam. But you have to admit, it came across that way.

Then this:

Quote:
I've pointed out that fixing a transom on a boat is often simpler, cheaper, faster than getting another "free" boat. [/B] Yet, TW did not want to post any information towards that much more reasonable solution.
This what I mean about the "gauntlet of logic" you set up. She needs to abide by what you consider to be "reasonable" to have any credibility. But here's the kicker...

Sway said in his beatdown EXACTLY the opposite of what you've just said above:

"Anyone with the modicum of knowledge that it takes to maintain, let alone restore, a boat knows that structural deficiencies, such as a delaminating transom are the best reason to walk away from any boat, free or otherwise. "

So, what seems a "much more reasonable solution" to you, doesn't seem so to him. And now she's getting it from both sides.

I'm just saying you guys go in with pre-conceived notions and rhetorical fists flying. How do you expect people to react?

Last edited by smackdaddy; 06-12-2009 at 08:59 PM.
Old 06-12-2009
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
I guess it was the, "best of luck to you and your family" that smacked of vitriol and sarcasm to you, Smacky.

As expressed above, there was no smackdown, either given or necessary, until your useless, tired, and tedious morality show on estrogen showed up.

Even your lidless eyes will have noticed that one of the moderators posted after the post of mine that you take such great offense to, apparently finding nothing within it to object to, and by the way.....I do seem to remember your little knickers getting all in a twist over inter-site conflicts in the past, so what's all this crap with you taking your dented and tarnished shield over to A-S to drum up more controversy? I guess we can add hypocrite to all your other less than noble titles here.

We can make the assumption without harm that Tiara's Wake made an honest, if perhaps misguided, request for a free boat on the forum most likely for her request to be answered. I, and probably "we", can make no similar judgments about your usual brand of postings seen herein. It's beyond my memory to recall a bigger horse's ass whom was not already walking around with two black eyes, than yourself as expressed in these forums.

Here's a suggestion for you, if you've got the balls for it. Go over to Off Topic and open a poll question thread. Title it, "Smacky is a Horse's Ass" or "Smacky in Nothing but a Troll" and limit the answers to a simple, "yes" or "no". That will explain to you who "we" comprises, albeit anonymously. Don't make it some long drawn out explanation of your jousts here; just a simple question with only two answers. Come on, Troll, show some balls.