Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2009

tager is on a distinguished road
People who say that living aboard is more expensive than living on land need to take a look at the numbers.

Seattle Area: Cheapest room in a co-op house: $399 + utilities

Liveaboard Moorage: $350 incl utilities

So... as much as you think that you are giving good advice about the moving onto land part, you may not be!

I really hope you get the new/free boat! I was raised in a trailer, and I turned out okay!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-07-2009
No longer on Sailnet

chall03 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by tager View Post
People who say that living aboard is more expensive than living on land need to take a look at the numbers.

So... as much as you think that you are giving good advice about the moving onto land part, you may not be!
Tager, If only it was as easy as just paying moorage buddy......

Respectfully, I think your talking crap. The point the 'people' above are making are that boats are maintenance intensive.......this means a continued outlay of money.

You don't just get to 'live' on a boat....

'Life is either a daring adventure or nothing' - Helen Keller

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-07-2009

wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about
I think living on a boat can be inexpensive, but it means doing a lot of work yourself, which very few people actually do - people say they want to do things themselves, even read up on how to do it themselves, even waste money buying tools to do it themselves, but then when the day comes most people will find some lame excuse not to do it and pay the $$$$$$$.

You CAN find a sand bar and wait for the tide to go out, careen your boat over and get your ass out there and work on the bottom without ever handing anybody a single zinc penny to do anything for you, but its a rare and salty sailor who will actually do that. In the end, most will pay the $$$$$$$ and have the boat put on the hard for them, or even pay someone else to do the work for them - you pay for every one of those little conveniences, and in boat world you often pay BIG.

Please support my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-07-2009

poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebkanelavie View Post
This said I think I can help you out.

Freedom comes when youíre ready to sail away. True freedom comes when you donít have to return

Cut off from the land that bore us, betrayed by the land we find, where the brightest have gone before us and the dullest remain behind, .......but stand to your glasses, steady,.......tis all we have left to prize, raise a cup to the dead already, hurrah for the next that dies
Old 06-07-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Liveaboard dock space is far more expensive than that where I'm living... The minimum is about $100 per foot for a six month season... and a 30' boat would cost $500 per month plus utilities and insurance. In most marinas, at least around here, you can't keep a boat there unless you have at least $100,000 in insurance. Then there's the liveaboard fee... which varies. Then you have to figure out what to do for the winteróas few marinas allow winter liveaboards, if they're even open in the winter.

No, living on a boat is not the inexpensive way out, unless you're living on a mooring or at anchor. With four people, two who are children, that is probably not a great solution.

Quote:

I really hope you get the new/free boat! I was raised in a trailer, and I turned out okay!

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

óCpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

StillóDON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 06-07-2009

SEMIJim will become famous soon enough SEMIJim will become famous soon enough
Quote:
In many parts of the country you can get a house for next to free, these days.
Old 06-07-2009
sv Mary T Pearson P35

sailingmum is on a distinguished road
$45. to $ 69/ foot in season where I am. If you moor in state waters, there is no fee, and you row or motor a ding.

Regardless, seems that discussion is another thread. Over the years, I know many people who have been gifted boats. However you've reached your decision, I wish you and your family well.
2013 Summer Deale MD Chesapeake
Old 06-07-2009
Big Chicken Baby

Mimsy is on a distinguished road
I wasn't trying to say you were living an extravagant lifestyle, but the cost of maintaining a boat and the insurance required by marinas is what kills most budgets. If you are sailing anywhere near other people, you need to have liability at the minimum to protect yourself. That's not a luxury in the US, that's a necessity. People here are ridiculoulsy litigious. I would think an RV or trailer could be had for far less maintainence costs.

If you end up getting a gift boat, God bless and take care. I just hope that you don't find yourself in a similar situation due to a lack of maintainence in a couple years time. I want to see you and your family move ahead, not tread water. It can be done, it just sucks big time when you are in the midst of it.

Our little blog has moved!
Old 06-07-2009

TiarasWake is on a distinguished road
We have done plenty of work on this boat ourselves already.We are eager to learn and have had good times fixing things together. We have put some money into the boat and are good about keeping up with what it needs, however, the leaking transom means that in turn, our core is probably wet and would require either the inside or the outside of the boat to be ripped apart for a whole overhaul. Another boat does not mean that it would end up being junk in the long run because we do take care of things. It just so happens that this problem is far too expensive. I realize that people are trying to give good advice as far as moving to land, but these same people don't realize how cheap it is to live on the water. Even with insurance and slip fees, we don't pay much at all/ Rent in this area runs between 1600 and $2000 a month. Slip and insurance and electric costs us only 500 a month. So you can see that an apartment would not be within our reach. Now, before anyone tells me that we should live somewhere cheaper, let me say that there are not a lot of companies in my husband's line of work, so we go where the job is.
elspru and BlkOnyx488 like this.
Old 06-07-2009

TiarasWake is on a distinguished road
A lot of the work we do for the boat doesn't cost us anything anyways, because my husband does a lot of things himself, as far as zincs go, and other things under the water. Even with maintenance, it is really cheap, and that was what we needed. Owning a house only gaurantees that someday the roof will need replaced, the water heater will go, etc. We have already been there and done those things. Believe me when i say that this is cheaper, unless of course you have a 60 footer, two deckhands and a boat yard to pay every time you need to pull it.