Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-18-2009
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
I guess the thing that makes this whole thing creepy is what's driving it...world records, press coverage, money, and fame. And the whole push is to go younger and younger.

To me it's like those little miss pageants where the parents dress their toddlers in evening gowns and make-up and make them dance and sing. Something's way off in that world.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40

Last edited by smackdaddy; 09-18-2009 at 12:21 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-18-2009

wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
To me it's like those little miss pageants where the parents dress their toddlers in evening gowns and make-up and make them dance and sing. Something's way off in that world.
Yes, except nobody dies at those pageants, though they might want to.

Please support my
Old 09-18-2009
No longer on Sailnet

chall03 will become famous soon enough
True Smack.

But to say what is driving Jessica here or really anyone for that matter is to assume a great deal.

'Life is either a daring adventure or nothing' - Helen Keller

Old 09-18-2009

wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about
My main objection is that 16 is one thing, 14 quite another. That isn't like the difference between 50 and 48, the difference between children who are 16 and 14 is profound, and the difference between 14 and 12 is even bigger, etc. I know some sixteen year old kids who can handle themselves, I don't know any 14 year old kids who can.

Please support my
Old 09-18-2009
No longer on Sailnet

chall03 will become famous soon enough
I do agree Windy. 14 is too young.

More to the point, I guess I don't see why anything one wishes to do at 14 could not wait until 16....

'Life is either a daring adventure or nothing' - Helen Keller

Old 09-18-2009

imagine2frolic is on a distinguished road
Some kids have goals while others flounder along. My brother at 4 knew he wanted to work on the RR. I use to laugh at that, me being 14. He has now worked on the RR 31 years.

There are some 50 yr olds who have the maturity of a 6 yr old. I don't know where the line should be drawn? I do believe it should be case by case. There was a time when at 16 she would already have 3 kids. How old was Alexander when he started as a warrior? As time has gone on we have sheltered more, and more our children. What was once thought normal is now thought to be insane? IT'S A MAD MAD WORLD........i2f

BORROWED, No single one of us is as smart as all of us!

Old 09-18-2009

PCP777 is on a distinguished road
I've mused to myself, if I had it all to do over, back when I was single and without children, I would have bought a decent boat and lived aboard. It would have been so much cheaper than all those apartments and rent homes I pissed away money on all those years.

You can buy a decent boat for 10K, maintain it, pay slip fees and still come out way ahead of the rent race. Damn, you actually get to own something too. Full coverage insurance is probably about $300 for a year and I've never seen it required. I can walk to the floating bar from my boat, the marina has a nice pool, showers, bathroom, general store and the weather in Texas is nice. Work is 10 minutes down the street from the marina.

Oh, plus you get to go sailing.

Wish I could get a do over. Oh well.

As far as this tiara chick. It sounds like it was the either the free boat or the homeless shelter for her and her children. I'd pick a boat, even a slowly sinking one, anytime. Maybe she is a hustle, or maybe not. Sounds like she got beat down by some members and bailed.
1979 TR/FK #1390
~Stephanos~
Bayview Marina,
Lake Ray Hubbard
Dallas, TX

Old 09-18-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagine2frolic View Post
Some kids have goals while others flounder along. My brother at 4 knew he wanted to work on the RR. I use to laugh at that, me being 14. He has now worked on the RR 31 years.

There are some 50 yr olds who have the maturity of a 6 yr old. I don't know where the line should be drawn? I do believe it should be case by case. There was a time when at 16 she would already have 3 kids. How old was Alexander when he started as a warrior? As time has gone on we have sheltered more, and more our children. What was once thought normal is now thought to be insane? IT'S A MAD MAD WORLD........i2f
I don't buy it. Development at 14 and 16 isn't relative, there are differences in peoples brains at that age, and 14 year old children just aren't capable of doing things that 16 year old kids are, that's my story and I am sticking to it. Yeah, maybe there are 50 year old men who act like teenagers, but that isn't the same thing as a 14 year old who's brain doesn't even work on an adult level yet, doesn't even reason like an adult. Are there 16 year old kids who have 3 kids, yeah, I guess, and there was an 11 year old kid who graduated from college, but that doesn't mean much.

And Alexander was studying under Aristotle at the age of 14, studying his lessons like kids should.

Please support my
Old 09-18-2009

imagine2frolic is on a distinguished road
wind,

Calm down, calm down, I am asking questions, and have said I do not know where the line is. I have said it would have to be case by case. I cannot make that decision, and I care not to. That's alot of responsibility sending some one to what could be there death. I am sure the commitee that picked the first astronaut even felt that. Even though it was a grown man. Less of a choice with a monkey.

In Australia 16 is considered as an adult as I believe it was chall that typed it? There are some very young people who are called old souls. For the very reason that they are way ahead of the peers inmaturity.

I am not talking about today's 16 yr old with three kids. My point being there was a time when that was normal. Possibly you should reread what I have typed?. .. ....i2f

BORROWED, No single one of us is as smart as all of us!

Old 09-18-2009

I am calm, I'm smiling as I write this.

I'm saying I do know where the line is, it's between 14 and 16.

Please support my