Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2012

ISLANDCHUNK is on a distinguished road
Re: Liveaboard Family Looking for a Miracle

David....Thanks so much, I totally agree with your comment "I think you are looking for a boat/home and not a bunch of free advice/opinions" Glad you had some concrete help. I too would like to help. I'm in South Carolina, but if you (Tiaraswake) will e-mail me. I'll try to help with some cash. Maybe between the two of us, we can at least buy you some time. Don't get excited, I'm certainly not rich, I work everyday for everything I get, but your story touched my heart, and I want to help. God Bless you and your family, you will be in my prayers. I had a very unfortunate health issue that arose last year, and the outpouring of support i received, both from friends and family but also total strangers, truly saved my life. I feel compelled to help....keep your chin up, things will get better!!!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-27-2012
Battered and Bruised

Silvio is on a distinguished road

Islandchunk,
I'm sure your intentions are good and sincere but the original post from Tiaraswake was made in June of 2009. This thread keeps getting resurrected for some reason.
I wouldn't expect a reply if I were you.

Take care,
Silvio
Old 09-16-2012
first sailed january 2008

northoceanbeach is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by wind_magic View Post
Tager, I'm TOTALLY there for you, I agree with you.

But I think what some of the others are saying is that if you just threw two random people out there who didn't know a single thing about anything, and you said have at it, one lives on land, the other one lives on water, it is much more inexpensive in all ways (time, energy, money, learning curve, etc ...) to live on land than it is on water. You don't drown on land, your cardboard box in the park doesn't sink destroying the possessions you have, etc, you can just walk from one place to another on land but on the water you need a dinghy.

It is less expensive for YOU to live on the water because over time you have become optimized through your continuous investment of time and energy to be extremely efficient at living on the water, YOU can spend 40$us to install your own rigging, because YOU tager are THE MAN and you ROCK! But had you taken a different course in life, you could have spent that same time and energy learning how to do roofing, putting up dry wall, and all the rest on a house just as easily (I suspect you probably know how to do that too, but pretend you weren't so gifted and see it from another point of view). Learning to find a free boat, anchoring it, using a dinghy, sustaining yourself, etc, yes it can all be free, but is it easier and less expensive than going to live with your parents ?

I live on a boat for three years in Honolulu and it is far cheaper than living on land. We're talking about a family hats on the verge of homelessness here. They don't have to do the maintenance to make the boat cross the ocean, they just need it not to sink. You can totally buy a boat for $3000 and
Live in it with zero maintenance for years. You may can't take it out but it won't sink. I've seen lots of people do it.

In the sf bay area too. You can either spend $1200 for a studio, or buy a POS boat and at least not be homeless .

I will say that his is not what I did.
Old 09-16-2012
first sailed january 2008

northoceanbeach is on a distinguished road

I'd also like to add that I don't encourage marinas to become homeless camps. There are few enough spaces available ideally they should go to people that want a boat to sail as well as live on(or just sail) and not a bunch of people squatting in delapidated boats.

I'm just saying it can be cheaper, but not that it's a homeless camp. They should be nice places or people that love the sea and sailing
Old 09-27-2012

elspru is on a distinguished road

northoceanbeach I think that's really insensitive and short-sighted of you :-(.

Fact of the matter is, there is more water on this planet than land, so cheap housing of the future may well be on the water, as in the case with seasteading.
Also if you didn't have a home, wouldn't you like to have one? If it happens to be in a new location, of a different type than you expect, wouldn't you still like to be allowed to do so? Not everyone does things for the same reasons.
If we have more boaters, it doesn't matter how they got there, they'll learn to love it, or find another way.

If there are more customers there shall always be more spaces available.
We can make floating marina's if there is the market for it.
So the more customers, the merrier.

If you want to only be surrounded by pricy people that only do boating recreationally, then find a super expensive marina, and I'm sure you'll find others like yourself.