Liveaboard Family Looking for a Miracle - Page 3 - SailNet Community

   Search Sailnet:

 forums  store  


Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here






Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 


Like Tree8Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #21  
Old 06-07-2009
Big Chicken Baby
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 410
Thanks: 0
Thanked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 6
Mimsy is on a distinguished road
I understand completely staying where the job is. I understand completely that rent is expensive. What I don't understand is how you can in one breath say you know next to nothing about marine maintenance but are "eager to learn" and yet try to state that it is less expensive to live on a boat with the associated costs than it would be to live in an RV. or trailer. It is only less expensive to live on a boat than it is to live on an RV if you do not do regular maintenence.

An RV or trailer would absolutely, 100% be less expensive. Even if you do the work yourself, the parts that are of suitable material for a marine environment are much, much more expensive than those you can use on land.

Look, I'm really not trying to beat you up and I hope that something wonderful comes your way. I'm coming at this from a place of concern. If it happens that you are gifted a boat, I'm happy for you and your family. I'm just afraid that you do not have a realistic view to the hidden costs of boat ownership. My fear is that you will be given a boat and it will eventually be a curse, not a gift.
__________________
S/V Ceol Mor
42 Nassau

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Our little blog has moved!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #22  
Old 06-07-2009
tager's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 991
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 6
tager is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by chall03 View Post
Tager, If only it was as easy as just paying moorage buddy......

Respectfully, I think your talking crap. The point the 'people' above are making are that boats are maintenance intensive.......this means a continued outlay of money.

You don't just get to 'live' on a boat....

Saying "Respectfully" before a disrespectful proclamation is kind of stupid. In that it weakens your argumentative rhetoric, while making it no more respectful.

In short, you sound like an idiot. And you are.

These numbers come from PERSONAL EXPERIENCE....

Oh, and guess how much it cost to replace my standing rigging?

$40

Yes

Forty Dollars.


So, in conclusion, it is not expensive to live on a boat. It's only expensive if you make it expensive by buying frivolous crap.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #23  
Old 06-07-2009
tager's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 991
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 6
tager is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEMIJim View Post
In many parts of the country you can get a house for next to free, these days.
True... but irrelevant. Neither I nor the OP live in a place where these are. If you want to live in a depressed rural area, then by all means, get a free house.

However, I live in Seattle, and the OP presumably lives in a rather urban area as well.

A free house is great if you do not have obligations outside of the area surrounding it. I would love the lifestyle, personally, but it does not work when you have a JOB!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #24  
Old 06-07-2009
chall03's Avatar
No longer on Sailnet
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Sydney
Posts: 1,513
Thanks: 14
Thanked 21 Times in 18 Posts
Rep Power: 12
chall03 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by tager View Post
Saying "Respectfully" before a disrespectful proclamation is kind of stupid. In that it weakens your argumentative rhetoric, while making it no more respectful.

In short, you sound like an idiot. And you are.

These numbers come from PERSONAL EXPERIENCE....

Oh, and guess how much it cost to replace my standing rigging?

$40

Yes

Forty Dollars.


So, in conclusion, it is not expensive to live on a boat. It's only expensive if you make it expensive by buying frivolous crap.
Respectfully, I don't think It was a disrespectful proclamation, I was simply saying that I think your probably wrong......respectfully.

I still do.

Glad to see you choose to take it personally though and felt you should start calling someone you never met an idiot on the internet.

Your mama would tell you that is being disrespectful
__________________
* No longer on Sailnet. Reach me by PM.

'Life is either a daring adventure or nothing' - Helen Keller



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by chall03; 06-07-2009 at 08:53 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #25  
Old 06-07-2009
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 134
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 6
Winderlust is on a distinguished road
tager,

You sound like MacGyver. I hope you're not saying we could all get our standing rigging replaced for something like $40 and the fact that you did it once, you don't mean to say: you'll be able to duplicate the bargain the next time you need it replaced. Which maybe sooner than normal.

Anyway the OP is pretty vague. Obviously a gift of a boat or free use of a boat would be cheaper than anything, initially. And hey, if you can do it once you might be able to do it again.

However, using the all things being equal approach to logic tells me a low end rental would be cheaper than a sinking boat. It May not be cheaper than a gifted boat, but then that would not be all things equal, would it?

Let's see: if the stove goes out, its the same. If the refer goes out, the same, the toilet same, Paying the utilities, same. Replacing the $40 rig, the $50 diesel, the thruhulls, the nav. lights, the any other boat part or system, Not the same! An apartment doesn't have them. As for the roof, that's the landlord's.

You can take any logical shortcut you want to justify the economics of a live-aboard, but it's just self delusion. Why encourage it?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #26  
Old 06-07-2009
delan's Avatar
scurvy dog
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Palm Island Miami Beach
Posts: 56
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 6
delan is on a distinguished road
Respectfully, Really?

Ok I know I'm off topic, but where I come from, the word respectfully is usually followed by "I beg to differ" or " I have to disagree"
Saying "respectfully, you're full of crap" is redundant, you're obviously showing no respect.
You may as well say "shut up, you f****ng moron"
Just let it out, if that's what you're thinking.
Respectfully, JD.

P.S. I know I'm kind of cynical, but this thread kind of reminds me of the guy who wanted a free boat to get back to Jersey or somewhere to see his family. Dude needed to stop posting to websites and go home.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #27  
Old 06-07-2009
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 4,998
Thanks: 5
Thanked 18 Times in 18 Posts
Rep Power: 11
wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winderlust View Post
tager,

You sound like MacGyver. I hope you're not saying we could all get our standing rigging replaced for something like $40 and the fact that you did it once, you don't mean to say: you'll be able to duplicate the bargain the next time you need it replaced. Which maybe sooner than normal.
You not only called Tager delusional, you managed to slip in a bust on his rigging job!

Quote:
Anyway the OP is pretty vague. Obviously a gift of a boat or free use of a boat would be cheaper than anything, initially. And hey, if you can do it once you might be able to do it again.

However, using the all things being equal approach to logic tells me a low end rental would be cheaper than a sinking boat. It May not be cheaper than a gifted boat, but then that would not be all things equal, would it?

Let's see: if the stove goes out, its the same. If the refer goes out, the same, the toilet same, Paying the utilities, same. Replacing the $40 rig, the $50 diesel, the thruhulls, the nav. lights, the any other boat part or system, Not the same! An apartment doesn't have them. As for the roof, that's the landlord's.

You can take any logical shortcut you want to justify the economics of a live-aboard, but it's just self delusion. Why encourage it?
Your all things equal argument is fine, but you are using faulty assumptions as a premise. Ceteris Paribus, with all things equal everyone has the ability to get online and ask for help when they need it, with all things being equal anyone can learn to do rigging themselves and borrow tools from each other to get the job done, all things being equal learning to do things yourself can be an effective survival strategy, we don't always have to pay people to do things for us just because there are people there to pay, etc. If everything in the world were market driven no woman could ever get her mom to watch the kids on a Saturday night ...

Joshua Slocum didn't need no damn help fixing his rigging ...
__________________
What are you pretending not to know ?

Please support my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by wind_magic; 06-07-2009 at 10:20 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #28  
Old 06-07-2009
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 134
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 6
Winderlust is on a distinguished road
magic,

You missed my point. Even an extreme example of a $40 re-rig is more than $0 for an apartment that has no rig, etc, etc. Maybe this is also a faulty assumption, but I don't think we're talking about someone like Josh Slocum here. Do you?

Everything else in you post is right on.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #29  
Old 06-07-2009
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 4,998
Thanks: 5
Thanked 18 Times in 18 Posts
Rep Power: 11
wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winderlust View Post
magic,

You missed my point. Even an extreme example of a $40 re-rig is more than $0 for an apartment that has no rig, etc, etc. Maybe this is also a faulty assumption, but I don't think we're talking about someone like Josh Slocum here. Do you?

Everything else in you post is right on.
You know, I did actually miss that part, I didn't see that your argument was the economics of land vs. water, I thought your argument was consumerism vs. minimalism.

I won't take the land vs. water argument because it is less expensive to live on land, all things being equal.
__________________
What are you pretending not to know ?

Please support my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #30  
Old 06-07-2009
tager's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 991
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 6
tager is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winderlust View Post
tager,

You sound like MacGyver. I hope you're not saying we could all get our standing rigging replaced for something like $40 and the fact that you did it once, you don't mean to say: you'll be able to duplicate the bargain the next time you need it replaced. Which maybe sooner than normal.

...
Let's see: if the stove goes out, its the same. If the refer goes out, the same, the toilet same, Paying the utilities, same. Replacing the $40 rig, the $50 diesel, the thruhulls, the nav. lights, the any other boat part or system, Not the same! An apartment doesn't have them. As for the roof, that's the landlord's.
...
You can take any logical shortcut you want to justify the economics of a live-aboard, but it's just self delusion. Why encourage it?
First of all. I bought galvanized rigging at an industrial supply house and did the splicing myself. Total cost for turnbuckles, galvanized wire, thimbles, shackles, and stainless forestay?

$40

Like I said before. And my galvanized rigging, I assure you, WILL LAST LONGER than any stainless job.



I am not taking any shortcuts justifying the economics of living aboard. I already showed you numbers, symbols which follow the rules of logic! Living on a boat is only expensive if you want it to be! Seriously, I don't see a single shortcut in that logic.

The rent is lower. The maintenance is actually quite low. I see boats all the time, that have had zero maintenance in ten years, that are way better than a tent. I don't think I am deluding myself or anyone else!

BOATS ARE ONLY EXPENSIVE IF YOU SPEND MONEY ON THEM!

Geez people.

elspru likes this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

 
Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may post attachments
You may edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
THE Yacht Builder List T37Chef Boat Review and Purchase Forum 26 07-08-2011 05:51 AM
Pirates and a Yachting Family - this from BBC just now (24 June 2008( jimmalkin General Discussion (sailing related) 6 07-17-2008 10:22 PM
A nice family sailing day... Giulietta General Discussion (sailing related) 22 03-20-2008 12:45 PM
Family Obligations Randy Harman Cruising Articles 0 04-14-2003 08:00 PM
Finding the Family Boat Dan Dickison Buying a Boat Articles 0 09-05-2002 08:00 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:24 AM.

Add to My Yahoo!         
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
(c) Marine.com LLC 2000-2012

The SailNet.com store is owned and operated by a company independent of the SailNet.com forum. You are now leaving the SailNet forum. Click OK to continue or Cancel to return to the SailNet forum.