Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2009

wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by tager View Post
BOATS ARE ONLY EXPENSIVE IF YOU SPEND MONEY ON THEM!

Geez people.

Tager, I'm TOTALLY there for you, I agree with you.

But I think what some of the others are saying is that if you just threw two random people out there who didn't know a single thing about anything, and you said have at it, one lives on land, the other one lives on water, it is much more inexpensive in all ways (time, energy, money, learning curve, etc ...) to live on land than it is on water. You don't drown on land, your cardboard box in the park doesn't sink destroying the possessions you have, etc, you can just walk from one place to another on land but on the water you need a dinghy.

It is less expensive for YOU to live on the water because over time you have become optimized through your continuous investment of time and energy to be extremely efficient at living on the water, YOU can spend 40$us to install your own rigging, because YOU tager are THE MAN and you ROCK! But had you taken a different course in life, you could have spent that same time and energy learning how to do roofing, putting up dry wall, and all the rest on a house just as easily (I suspect you probably know how to do that too, but pretend you weren't so gifted and see it from another point of view). Learning to find a free boat, anchoring it, using a dinghy, sustaining yourself, etc, yes it can all be free, but is it easier and less expensive than going to live with your parents ?

Please support my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-07-2009

chall03 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by delan View Post
Ok I know I'm off topic, but where I come from, the word respectfully is usually followed by "I beg to differ" or " I have to disagree"
Saying "respectfully, you're full of crap" is redundant, you're obviously showing no respect.
You may as well say "shut up, you f****ng moron"
Just let it out, if that's what you're thinking.
Respectfully, JD.
I'm not where you come from.....

I do like to talk plainly, if I disagree with someone I would prefer to just come out and say it.........I intentionally added respectfully in an attempt to show Tager, that It wasn't personal, or an attack on him.....but I do strongly disagree with what he was saying. Honestly?? I would say happily say the same thing honestly to my Dad.

Really coming down to it telling someone their talking Crap and saying I beg to differ is stating the same point isn't it???

Now 'shut up. you f**** moron' I think is quite different from what i said, and no it wasn't what I was thinking. What I was thinking was Tager respectfully( as in no offense intended, dont take it personally) I think your talking crap....

Obviously it didn't work cause he, and apparently now you did take it personally. so I do apologize, it wasn't mean't that way.

Tager, if you are truly living aboard as frugally as you state then good luck to you. You state in another thread that your tender is 'a piece of foam', I would love you to elaborate!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-07-2009

tager is on a distinguished road
Elaborating.... my tender is a peice of foam.

Wind magic. Thank you for approaching this so amiably. I have to say that I wholeheartedly agree. To the average man and woman, living on land is better, which is why most people do. I concede my point that living on water is cheaper than living on land, but I will say that for ME it is cheaper. For the OP it may be cheaper as well. I just want people to accept that living on water is not GPS units and Santana DVX Champagne all day every day. It can be cheap.

Challo3. I am not talking crap. I am talking from personal experience. I live on my own boat. The outlay for my boat was less than first, last, and deposit at a small apartment in my area. I also pay less in rent than somebody in an apartment. So I am not talking crap.

Last edited by tager; 06-07-2009 at 11:17 PM.
Old 06-07-2009

Winderlust is on a distinguished road
Magic,

I like the way you think
Old 06-07-2009

Okies.

or more like this kind of foam?

Old 06-07-2009

And on your piece of

You are able to plane through anchorages in all wind conditions??
Carrying provisions and friends to your boat?

Old 06-07-2009

tager is on a distinguished road
The latter! No, of course my chunk of foam does not plane, especially not in all conditions! Ha! Yes, of course it carries provisions and friends!

I really hope that you enjoy your "daring adventure". While blindly falling for yacht magazine dogma, like boats being expensive, and needing a dinghy that planes in "all wind conditions." A thing which, I assure you, does not exist.
Old 06-08-2009

Hey Tager,

Like I said above if your living that frugally and it is working for you then seriously I think that is great.

Now for what it is worth, my boat is a 27ft 1975 aussie design.....I only read one yachting magazine, not coincidentally the only one not full of of big pretty boats.

My dinghy doesn't plane either, I consider it a good day if it floats. It USED to be a 2.4m Zodiac in it's day. It is now a shadow of it's former glory and probably only a small step up from foam

I still want to see the world one day, or a large portion of it.........by yacht. For a man of my means to be able to do that then it will have to be a shoestring affair.

Last edited by chall03; 06-08-2009 at 12:08 AM.
Old 06-08-2009

Coolstr85 is on a distinguished road
first off. as an outside source i think chall03 saying tager was talking crap was a little rediculous. I wont get into the what is cheaper living on land or a boat in this particular situation thing. but go over to the liveaboard magazine forums and search around for the what is cheaper threads. There are NUMEROUS accounts of people (with documented numbers and stories) who are proving it is cheaper to live on their boats than on land. Granted its not always the case and maybe its usually cheaper to live on land. But saying that tager is talking crap when there are hundreds of people who have run the numbers and save money by staying on their boats seems rediculous.

just my opinion.
elspru likes this.
Old 06-08-2009

Coolstr85, I apologised to Tager above for being a bit harsh.

By the way, I never said it couldn't be cheaper....
However to take that as a rule, and apply it to the OP situation(family with toddlers and pets) I took issue with.
If we look at extremes there are people living in dumpster's on land as well. Now that's ecomonical living....