Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2009

wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about
I think if you want to have sort of the equivalent situation on land it would be living in an RV on the cheap. Same basic thing - simple head with a holding tank, fiberglass keeping you out of the rain, motor, propulsion system, small living quarters, all the same stuff. It isn't totally comparing apples to apples, but it isn't apples to oranges either.

There are people who "anchor out" in RV's, that is, they spend their time "boondocking" (or "dry camping") which is essentially finding a free place to park their RV and then just living there until they either have to go find food, water, empty the holding tank, get fuel, etc, or someone tosses them off the property, or whatever. They have a lot of the same kinds of issues that people living on boats have, lot of the same equipment, same concerns, they use solar panels to keep battery banks charged up, talk about generators, all the same stuff.

So, yeah, you can get a free boat and anchor it out and never spend a penny, but you can just as easily get an old RV and live in it too. If sailing has any advantages I would think it would be these two - 1) You can move a sailboat without buying expensive fuel, and 2) It is legal to "park" your sailboat in an anchorage, whereas it is much harder to find a place to put an RV and really just stay there, eventually even Walmart is going to throw you off the lot. You could, of course, find places to park forever if you really look, some ghost town in the middle of Nevada, but it isn't like anchoring out because you can anchor out in major metropolitan areas, and that simply isn't going to happen boondocking in an RV.

Edit - thanks Winder!

Please support my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by wind_magic; 06-08-2009 at 01:02 AM. Reason: added image
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-08-2009
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
Good job, Windy!

I think that suggestion was made back, oh, about post number nine on this now long past ridiculous thread. But keep it going as there is conceivably yet one more wack-job out there who'd like to fully explain how he lives on board for less than free, with cable access. (g)
Old 06-08-2009

wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about
Sway I thought of your post while I was writing, I just felt it wasn't fair to say in one paragraph what could be said in about five different lengthy posts, with pictures even!

Please support my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-08-2009

chall03 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by surftom View Post
I'd rather be in a camper where the worst that can happen is that I get wet - as opposed to drown.
I guess this is the other major difference as well Wind.
Especially considering the OP has young family.

Our Blog: Aussie cruising family

Old 06-08-2009
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
Windy,
The photo made the post. I was somewhat disappointed though that you chose a full-sized Chevy for illustrative purposes when everyone knows that the vehicle of choice for poverty level R/Ving is the venerable Datsun truck, which is noted for running equally well on three cylinders as opposed to the full four. Those whom do not know you might infer that you are merely contributing to the elitism that dominates the sailing community and, verily, permeates this thread.
Old 06-08-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailaway21 View Post
Windy,
The photo made the post. I was somewhat disappointed though that you chose a full-sized Chevy for illustrative purposes when everyone knows that the vehicle of choice for poverty level R/Ving is the venerable Datsun truck, which is noted for running equally well on three cylinders as opposed to the full four. Those whom do not know you might infer that you are merely contributing to the elitism that dominates the sailing community and, verily, permeates this thread.
Some vehicles pre-date even the Datsun as homes ...

"The more things change, the more they stay the same" - Alphonse Karr.

Please support my
Old 06-08-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Of course, most people don't know that Dorothea Lange had to crop this photo to get rid of her thumb...

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 06-08-2009

bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about
Never give up hope

Never Forgotten

Old 06-08-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I'd point out that a recent winner of Powerball, who won a $230,000,000 jackpot, was homeless... not that I think that gambling is the way out of financial troubles.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 06-08-2009

chall03 will become famous soon enough
But did he then choose to buy a gold plated RV or a Hallberg Rassy to live on???? That is the question.....

Thinking about that much money just depresses me. Imagine how much foam you could buy for your tender

Our Blog: Aussie cruising family