Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2009

TiarasWake is on a distinguished road
Just forget the OP

This whole thing is pretty ridiculous. I never expected anything to really come from the post, but it made me feel better temporarily. I am not going to try to convince people that boat living is cheaper. People are set in their own ways and will believe what they want, but the truth is, Tager knows what i am talking about, and so do the many people that live in this marina. Many of them were forced here because they hit hard times. It doesn't have to be expensive. Sure, it can be, but it doesn't have to be. I would spend more on an engine for a piece of crap RV that I know nothing about either, and i would have nowhere to park it or to get electric hook-ups. We have been living aboard for a year now, and we have learned a lot. The beautiful thing is that people in this atmosphere are friendlier than any in any neighborhood i have ever lived. They treat each other like family. When one person needs something, chances are that you can find someone who will offer to help you out or even barter services. It just so happens that we got a bad boat, so that fix would be expensive, but there is no way we would ever be able to spend nearly two grand a month on an apartment. Our fixes have only ever cost us a couple bucks at a time. Ok, so I am still trying to say that the boat is cheaper, but that wasn't my intention this time. People don't really know how bad things get until it actually happens. When you are sitting beneath the trees in a fabric enclosure with lightning and rain pouring down and your kids looking terrified, you have to change your thinking a bit. When you are in an expensive place, with your family in other states and very few companies to search for work, you have to find a means to survive. That is what we did. We coudn't think too much about years down the road and whether or not our old boat would still be floating or even whether it would be big enough to sleep our kids. We needed to get out of the rain and the boat was our only option. I wish that no one would ever go through what we did, but that is really the only way for people to understand. In the same aspect, no one knows about living aboard until they do it. The people that live here certainly aren't rich. I guess that's all. I'm sure i'll remember something else i wanted to say and have to post again.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-08-2009

TiarasWake is on a distinguished road
Oh, yeah, and another boat wouldn't end up in the same situation as this. I never said that we couldn't afford to do any maintenance, because we have. Regular maintenance, which we can afford due to cheap living and helpful neighbors, has been done; inexpensively i might add. The problem lies in that we cannot afford a major overhaul to replace the transom and probably the core. Regular maintenance would have avoided this issue if the previous owners would have done their part, therefore backing up the whole "cheaper" issue. They did not though, and the boat was neglected. So, another boat does not mean that it would fall apart because we are neglectful. We live here. We would not let it go, just as we did not let this one go. Our problem exists only because someone wanted to make a buck and leave out the details.
Old 06-08-2009
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
Madame,
I'll keep this on the topic for you. I'm sure that you are quite capable of keeping the bilges clean and dry, along with the other routine housekeeping on board. My concern, and that of those others whom seriously answered your original post, is that you've already ended up with a seriously structurally deficient boat and we see little hope or prospect that you will end up with anything more than that in the future.

Anyone with the modicum of knowledge that it takes to maintain, let alone restore, a boat knows that structural deficiencies, such as a delaminating transom are the best reason to walk away from any boat, free or otherwise. The problem with them is that, while the boat may be free, it will not stay that way and the costs to restore it exorbitant. My concern is that you did not observe the deficiencies in the present boat and that you are neither more knowledgeable about surveying boats than you were then, nor more able to effect repairs.

Your problems do not exist because "someone left out the details". Your problems exist because you got approximately just what you were paying for and now the bill comes due. It is my heartfelt wish that you not go through this again and that you seek lodging on shore so that there can be some light at the end of the economic tunnel in your future. Far wealthier people than you and your family have come a cropper on keeping a boat afloat.

The best of luck to you and your family.
Old 06-08-2009
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough
Forgive me for the drift...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wind_magic View Post
Is she on a CELLPHONE?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105 Certified Instructor - Also certified in Recreational Marine Electrical Systems

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Getting back onto the water after undergoing knee surgery.
Old 06-08-2009

wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by eherlihy View Post
Is she on a CELLPHONE?
That was my first reaction when I looked at the picture!!

Please support my
Old 06-08-2009

Mokusiga is on a distinguished road
I really feel for you all.

I lived on an old boat which cost me very little. It was certainly cheaper than living on land. No I didnt have insurance, marina fees or rigging to pay for.

Find a mooring that is as low rent as possible (or free), even if inconveinient and make the best use of your time and resources. It was easier to live this way back in the 70's and much harder now, hang in there.

Oh top tip.
If your transom is rotten. Research caskover sheathing.
It involves covering the hull with canvas and doping the fabric with resin. it forms a water tight barrier and was popular in the 70's. It wont last forever but it is cheap and should stop you from sinking. Dont put your families life at risk. You might be able to sheath the transom only.
Old 06-08-2009
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
Windy's posts in the market thread are starting to take on a new relevance with the publication of the family photos.
Old 06-08-2009

thesnort is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Is she on a CELLPHONE?
No, that's a "communicator". She's in touch with the Enterprise. Unfortunately, Scotty's on the bowl and nobody's working the transporter at the moment.
If she managed to keep that car in good condition, it would sell for a pretty penny nowadays. Whoever said a car isn't an investment?
Old 06-08-2009
99% landlubber, 1% sailor

modul8 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mokusiga View Post
I really feel for you all.

I lived on an old boat which cost me very little. It was certainly cheaper than living on land. No I didnt have insurance, marina fees or rigging to pay for.

Find a mooring that is as low rent as possible (or free), even if inconveinient and make the best use of your time and resources. It was easier to live this way back in the 70's and much harder now, hang in there.

Oh top tip.
If your transom is rotten. Research caskover sheathing.
It involves covering the hull with canvas and doping the fabric with resin. it forms a water tight barrier and was popular in the 70's. It wont last forever but it is cheap and should stop you from sinking. Dont put your families life at risk. You might be able to sheath the transom only.
Perhaps a couple of photos of the transom situation might garner more practical help--a quick and dirty fix for the transom might be a good idea, provided they can afford a haul-out, and a place to stay while it's being done (assuming your resin and fabric cannot be done underwater) There are probably other repair options, too. let's hear your suggestions-- maybe someone has a way to get it done while it's still afloat.
In the mean time, you might consider a backup for your bilge pump.
Old 06-08-2009

chall03 will become famous soon enough
TiarasWake,

Pictures of the transom might be a good idea. There are some clever, practical and generous people on here. It does sound like you have determined already that the transom and therefore the boat are irretrievable, but could there be a chance??

If you have already put what little money you have into this vessel, surely if there was any chance of saving it, it would be preferable to starting over again with another boat??

Especially given that as Sway suggests with all probability any 'new' vessel that comes to you for free, is likely to be in perhaps as great or worse condition.

These are just some thoughts. So please some photos, and details.....what the specifics of the problem are......how it has been diagnosed and by whom......What do you have to lose??

By the way, threads on Sailnet often degenerate into these philosophical and quite often nonsensical discussions, we may offer up honest opinion but please don't think anyone here intends to be insensitive or wishes you or your family ill, ultimately every situation is different and what is right for you and your family is a decision only you can make.

Like I said to you way up in the third post of this thread, my thoughts are with your and your family and I hope you do find a solution.