Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2009
Apropos of Nothing

painkiller will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
At least I have a boat. No one has ever seen the Smacktanic... either in photo or video. Or seen you sailing for that matter. And all we ever see you doing is talking trash.
Hasn't CharlieCobra experienced a Smackventure aboard the Smacktanic on Lake Smackworth? Weren't those Smack-photos posted to Smacknet or were they Photosmacked?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-10-2009
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Now you're just talking smack Pain. That's all we need right now. Hey, did you see that Sway's giving away FEMA trailers?!?! Sweet.
Old 06-10-2009
Apropos of Nothing

painkiller will become famous soon enough
You could probably weld pontoons onto one of those suckers and have one hell of a party barge.
Old 06-10-2009

NCC320 is on a distinguished road
TiarasWake,

Sorry to hear your situation and hope it turns around for you. Just a couple of thoughts that may or may not help:

1) Since you are currently living on the boat and there are serious issues regarding transom leaks, would it be possible to have the yard pull the boat and put it in the yard in such a way that you could continue living on it until something better comes along? This would eliminate the possibility of sinking and get the boat out where the damage could be better assessed and perhaps repaired. I read recently where a family in the islands pulled their boat for each hurricane season for safety from the storms, but the family continued to live aboard while boat was ashore.

2) In most boat yards and marinas that I have seen, there are lots of abandoned or near abandoned boats. They are easy to identify by the accummulation of surface dirt (which should clean up). Perhaps if you talked with the marina/boat yards, you could find and contact the owners of some of these boats. It's a long shot, but they might just be willing to get out from the slip and storage fees by giving or making a boat to you at a price that you can afford.

3) In this part of the country, the Salvation Army is very good about helping families in need. Perhaps they could assist you in combination with the local boat yard/marina in working out a deal. Also, various groups run "boat donation" programs for unwanted boats....the community college in Morehead City, NC has such a program. While Morehead City may be too far away for you, perhaps there are other such programs nearby that you and Salvation Army could contact. Also, the Salvation Army gets lots of unusual donations..I gave them a car once that needed serious engine work...no problem, as they had an established program with local mechanics class at the community college to fix such cars for price of needed parts only. Afterwards, the car was given by Salvation Army to a needy family.

If you locate a boat as in 2) above, perhaps by working with and discussing your situation with the Salvation Army as in 3), you could arrange a win-win deal for everyone. i.e. The owner of the new boat could donate it to the Salvation Army, and perhaps get some tax deduction as a donation to charity, and the Salvation Army could then give the boat to you in the same manner that they help other families, except this time it would involve a boat.

Good luck.

Last edited by NCC320; 06-10-2009 at 09:54 PM.
Old 06-10-2009

chall03 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Look - it's simple: What did she ask for? A free boat.
Smack, problem with that Is I(and it appears I am not alone in this) don't have a boat to offer. If I(we) did THEN maybe it could be a simple matter....but I don't and so instead I offer my sincere heartfelt sympathy and some suggestions...

Quote:
Now only one person in this chain has actually offered that.
Well are you really surprised?? Free boats don't fall out of the sky man, or like I said if they do you should duck....

Quote:
Everyone else, after offering some nice sympathies, has pretty much lectured her as to all the reasons she shouldn't be asking for what she's asking.
I can't find one post where anyone has lectured.......advice and suggestions. She admits to not having a great deal of experience with boats......I think the advice given here by people is just trying to feel out the specifics of her situation and offer alternatives.....

Quote:
Then she's had to defend herself by reminding you guys that she actually knows a thing or two about her own life experience. Read her posts again.
Defend? Once again I don't see anyone attacking her here Smack.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-10-2009
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
Smacky likes to think he's a knight in shining armor, albeit astride a Schwinn instead of a mighty stead. He'll defend most anybody, but he likes to think he's got a special affinity for the damsel in distress. It's thought that his animosity towards trailers is based on the fact that his law practice operated out of one.

He'll be going right by the lady's location, later in the summer, and could offer his expert opinion on fiberglas repair then I suppose. Oops, I forgot. Smacky doesn't know much about boats, and less about fiberglas or it's repair. You could reasonably question what then he brings to this thread, that is of use to the OP, that is.
Old 06-10-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Sway—

You can reasonably question what Smacky brings to any thread—other than talking trash and trying to stir up controversy and not generally contribute usefully to any matter of importance.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 06-10-2009

Quote:
Heh-heh, yeah Chall - the whole "community helping her with her problem" thing has gone just swimmingly hasn't it? My bad.
Now what can I say?? I am shocked, astounded and disillusioned beyond words!!!!

Are You Not the same SmackPappy that founded the Sailnet Loveshack???

Quote:
As one who values a peaceful coexistence amongst all sailors, I wanted to start this thread as a kind of respite from the wear and tear of life in Off Topic.

When you find yourself angry, bitter, frustrated, shown up, schooled, exasperated, or completely unable to come up with a witty retort, come here. Relax. And enjoy the peaceful, safe environment of The Love Shack.

When you feel better, leave some verbal "flowers" behind for others who might need a helping hand. You ain't heavy - you're my brother.

Peace out, man.
Ok admittedly it was a dismal failure......

but man this is a chance to resurrect its sentiments, go and rent Pay it Forward Smack, listen to some U2 and release your inner Bono...

If there was anything we could offer the OP to help her out In her situation I think it would be awesome..

.......and who knows maybe someone reading this might have a nice boat sat out the back of their mansion looking decorative their willing to gift......

Smack, stranger things have happened. You and I have spoken before about my late boss. Well he was rumoured to have bought a BlackJack dealer in Vegas a house once after hearing about her struggles to raise a deposit......I was personally at a lunch once where after witnessing a boss unfairly chastise a young waitress he tipped the waitress $20k on the condition she quit and tell her boss F*** Off

Old 06-11-2009

Mokusiga is on a distinguished road
Hey Guys,,, You may have failed to notice, as most of you are caught up in your own little world, but TiarasWake has given up on you all your drama and doesn't respond any more.
To be honest, I would have given up on this when all the abuse started coming in and the whole thing started getting rather weird and surreal.

I am rather dissapointed that you all (well, almost all) decided to use this thread as some sort of pissing contest, when in actual fact the family in question are just trying to survive and were genuinely asking for help.

NCC320 and others have tried to offer decent advice/encouragement. Shame Tiara probably wont read it.

Saildog, smack and a few others are the reason I wont be coming back to such a pathetic website. I only joined out of curiosity, but you lot really need to get a life. Yes there is a lot of good stuff, but the bull5hit on here makes me want to puke.

Why dont you all get a life and actually sail your boats rather than just talk about it.

Thank you and good bye

Last edited by Mokusiga; 06-11-2009 at 05:38 AM.
Old 06-11-2009

You don't consider your little post to be 'drama' ? Or a continuation of the pissing contest?

You don't think that by you deciding to post your self obsessed, venom feeled little goodbye to us all here, that you have further sidetracked the thread?

So what are going to do to help TiarasWake??

Goodbye Sir. Your valued contribution to this community over the past 4 days I am sure will be sorely missed. May I suggest cruising.stuffiminto.com to you?? I think you would quite enjoy it there.