Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2009

TiarasWake is on a distinguished road
Liveaboard Family Looking for a Miracle

I am wondering whether there is someone out there near MD with a boat that is going to waste due to, perhaps, just a busy lifestyle. Maybe that person could afford to pay it forward, so to speak, to a family in need. My husband, toddlers and i live aboard a 27 foot boat. It is very old, but we love it more than any life on land. It is a long story as to how we arrived here, but we are grateful to have a roof over our heads and our family intact. We can no longer use our credit, as we lost everything during bad times. The important thing is that we are together and happy, yet the harsh reality remains that our old boat is just that. Our transom is rotting and our core is definitely wet with all of our leaks. We can no longer move the boat because it puts too much stress on the transom, causing water to come in rapidly. If we could get any type of loan we would be fine, but as i said, we no longer have that luxury. We cannot even get a loan to replace our dilapidated vehicles which are on their last legs. Call me crazy or what you will for this post, but I am just a mother and wife trying to save her family. My husband works hard to take care of us, but as many of you may know, when you sink down into a hole financially, it can be nearly impossible to get back out again. If our home ends up at the bottom of the drink, we will truly have nothing left. If you can be of any help at all, it would be appreciated more than you will ever know. Thanks for reading this post. I can only hope for a miracle.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-05-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Exactly what are you looking for? A free boat??? Help fixing the boat you have?? Just curious, what kind of boat are you, your husband and the toddlers living aboard currently? How did it get into such bad shape—certainly that did not happen overnight? Why did you not address the issue prior to it becoming such an issue, especially given that this boat is also your home??

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 06-05-2009
No longer on Sailnet

chall03 will become famous soon enough
Im sorry to hear that things are that bad for you all at the moment.

I wish I could do something but I am on the other side of the world to you and so unfortunately of no practical help at all. You and your family though will be in my thoughts and prayers.

'Life is either a daring adventure or nothing' - Helen Keller

Old 06-05-2009

Popeyensweetp is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiarasWake View Post
I am wondering whether there is someone out there near MD with a boat that is going to waste due to, perhaps, just a busy lifestyle. Maybe that person could afford to pay it forward, so to speak, to a family in need. My husband, toddlers and i live aboard a 27 foot boat. It is very old, but we love it more than any life on land. It is a long story as to how we arrived here, but we are grateful to have a roof over our heads and our family intact. We can no longer use our credit, as we lost everything during bad times. The important thing is that we are together and happy, yet the harsh reality remains that our old boat is just that. Our transom is rotting and our core is definitely wet with all of our leaks. We can no longer move the boat because it puts too much stress on the transom, causing water to come in rapidly. If we could get any type of loan we would be fine, but as i said, we no longer have that luxury. We cannot even get a loan to replace our dilapidated vehicles which are on their last legs. Call me crazy or what you will for this post, but I am just a mother and wife trying to save her family. My husband works hard to take care of us, but as many of you may know, when you sink down into a hole financially, it can be nearly impossible to get back out again. If our home ends up at the bottom of the drink, we will truly have nothing left. If you can be of any help at all, it would be appreciated more than you will ever know. Thanks for reading this post. I can only hope for a miracle.

Sorry I am in Florida on my boat with my 12 y/o daughter wish I could help,God Bless Keep the faith
Old 06-05-2009

surftom is on a distinguished road
Check Craigslist often and also have a look at goodoldboat.com sometimes boats come up for next to nothing or even free

Just some practical advice....

If you are really on hard times then on-the-water is the last place you want to be with kids - even if you love the "lifestyle." Lifestyle is something to think about when necessity has bean dealt with.
I'm not being judgmental at all - just offering another point of view - As much as I love my boat, if it were not in good shape I would not risk something happening to my family in it - I'd rather be in a camper where the worst that can happen is that I get wet - as opposed to drown.

Best of luck and I hope that the hard times come to an end soon

Tom
Old 06-05-2009
Big Chicken Baby

Mimsy is on a distinguished road
I am very sorry to hear that you are undergoing hard times. I understand as I have been there- really. It sucks and with young kids, its even worse. I know this from first hand experience.

That being said, when you truly are in hard times and you want to save your family, the first thing you have to do to move forward is to cut your lifestyle. I know you love it, but I also liked having my little house, cable, internet and food. I had to cut back to no cable, no internet, a one room apartment and working 80+ hours a week as a single mom. I did this for four years and it sucked- big time but my kids were well cared for and it was absolutely necessary. Now we are able to think about what type of lifestyle we would "love".

I'm not trying to beat you up, I'm trying to offer you hope. You are not trying to save your family, you are trying to save your lifestyle- big difference and you shouldn't lose site of this. Your family will remain intact whether you are on a boat or living in an apartment planning to live on a boat in the future. If you can not make your boat livable and safe, sell it. Make a plan to move ashore until things improve. Work hard, live frugally and save. If you do this, you will eventually get to move back on to the water in a boat which is fit for purpose. Yes, it will be hard but the things we work hard and suffer for are the things which have the most value.

Wishing you all the best.
Marcel D likes this.

Our little blog has moved!
Old 06-05-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
very well said Mimsy. Pretty wise for a leadmine owner.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimsy View Post
I am very sorry to hear that you are undergoing hard times. I understand as I have been there- really. It sucks and with young kids, its even worse. I know this from first hand experience.

That being said, when you truly are in hard times and you want to save your family, the first thing you have to do to move forward is to cut your lifestyle. I know you love it, but I also liked having my little house, cable, internet and food. I had to cut back to no cable, no internet, a one room apartment and working 80+ hours a week as a single mom. I did this for four years and it sucked- big time but my kids were well cared for and it was absolutely necessary. Now we are able to think about what type of lifestyle we would "love".

I'm not trying to beat you up, I'm trying to offer you hope. You are not trying to save your family, you are trying to save your lifestyle- big difference and you shouldn't lose site of this. Your family will remain intact whether you are on a boat or living in an apartment planning to live on a boat in the future. If you can not make your boat livable and safe, sell it. Make a plan to move ashore until things improve. Work hard, live frugally and save. If you do this, you will eventually get to move back on to the water in a boat which is fit for purpose. Yes, it will be hard but the things we work hard and suffer for are the things which have the most value.

Wishing you all the best.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 06-06-2009

TiarasWake is on a distinguished road
Tiara's Reply

Let me first say that I am not trying to save a "lifestyle". My family hit hard financial times. Our cars were repossessed, our home foreclosed, etc. We moved so that my husband could start at another job. We cannot afford rent in this area so the cheapest thing is to live aboard. We survive much cheaper than any apartment would ever allow. Living on land would be four or five times more expensive here, at least. Secondly, we bought this boat with the only bit of money we had, because we couldn't afford an apartment. We knew nothing about boats and were told that the boat was in good shape by the previous owner. We believed him, in part because we were living in a tent and we needed a roof over our heads. That is why this issue with the transom exists. We didn't know the boat was going bad, but we needed somewhere to live.
We certainly aren't living an exotic lifestyle, and cannot live any more frugally than we already do, so that is not an option. We do not eat out or go out or anything. We get groceries each week and that is it. Please do not assume that I am just someone who doesn't want to give up some glamorous lifestyle. We live in a space as big as some people's bathrooms. We have lost everything and are only trying to get by.
Old 06-06-2009
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
While I understand your situation and your motivations, I would reinforce the points made above and offer the advise that any boat is going to be more expensive to maintain than any accommodation on shore. Absent the ability to maintain it's insatiable needs, any boat will soon assume the condition of the one you now reside upon. In my opinion, you would be far better served by even a motorhome in even dilapidated condition.
Old 06-06-2009
55,000nm 2X South Pacific

davebkanelavie is on a distinguished road
I think you are looking for a boat/home and not a bunch of free advice/opinions.

This said I think I can help you out. I know of a boat that is 29.5' has a refer, running diesel engine, sails, radar, etc. It's not clean or tidy at the moment, but until the owner died it was well maintained. Since it's been stored on the hard and even has a fresh coat of bottom paint. It's located in CT and you could probably get it for next to free and with your story likely free. I'll provide you info on how to get in contact with the owner. Send me an email or PM or check out my website for other contact options.