SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Living Aboard (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/living-aboard/)
-   -   Help on a UK-Europe Trip! (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/living-aboard/55626-help-uk-europe-trip.html)

34forty 06-24-2009 08:30 AM

Help on a UK-Europe Trip!

Hi
I live in the Uk(South Coast) and i am looking to sail a boat from the Uk- around Europe for 3-6 weeks. I use to sail every weekend but this is some 15 years ago so may be a bit rusty. I am really looking for advice on what yacht/boat i should buy as i would like to live aboard as it will only be myself!
Any other help with Customs,Mouring would be a great help!
Many Thanks

Mimsy 06-24-2009 11:07 AM

It will be very difficult to suggest a baot for your purposes without an idea of what you would like to spend. You could do the trip on an older Westerly or on a brand new Oyster. The difference in entry price between the two is rather enormous.

If you feel you are a bit rusty, I highly recommend taking a weekend refresher course at your local RYA school. This will give you the opportunity to get out and sail and see how much boat you are comfortable with before throwing down money.

Where in Europe are you planning on cruising? If you are hanging out in the Bay of Biscay with its weather potential you will need a different type of boat and equipment than if you are pottering around the coast of Germany.

34forty 06-25-2009 04:19 AM

Hi Thanks for your response
I already have a refresher course booked for the weekend after next!
The budget for the boat is 5000-8000!
I am looking at sailing around the French coast then onto the Spanish Coast!
Any help on the Boat Type would be great i don't just want to talk to sales people!
Thanks
Jeff

tjaldur 06-25-2009 06:29 AM

If you visit this website http://www.noonsite.com/Countries you will find a lot of useful information about what you need sailing in different countries. Since you somehow, somewhere must cross the English Channel, where the current can be very strong and there is much traffic in the waters, I will suggest that you select a boat that have an engine that can bring you across the channel in the first place, in case the wind and the current are contrary.

The tidal difference quite large in some places, both in France and on the channel islands, so you will need to plan carefully and be able to calculate the tide both for the port you are leaving and the port of arrival.

On the southern part of the french Atlantic coast, in the Bay of Biscay, there are very few ports, so you must be prepared for sailing around 100 NM from one port to the next. You should absolutely get a pilot-book for the areas you want to sail, like Reeds Nautical Almanac.

I am not very well informed about the prices on boats in UK, but I assume they more or less are close to the prices in Norway. It seems to me that you probably will not be able to get a boat larger than about 24 feet. The bright side being that the cost of calling a port is calculated by the length of the boat.

But I suggest that you first try the inland waters of the Netherlands and the Northern part of the English Channel before you decide to Challenge the Bay Of Biscay.

34forty 06-25-2009 08:16 AM

Thank you very much for all your advice! Will have a look at Inland waters of the Netherlands!
Thanks again
Jeff

sailingdog 06-25-2009 08:42 AM

Given your limited budget, I'd recommend getting some of the back issues of Practical Boat Owner or Sailing Today magazine and look at the articles on budget cruising boats that they've had in the last year.

Overstag 06-26-2009 08:09 AM

If you want to know anything about the inland waters of The Netherlands, I can tell you all you need to know.
Just post a question here on the boards.

34forty 07-08-2009 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Overstag (Post 500259)
If you want to know anything about the inland waters of The Netherlands, I can tell you all you need to know.
Just post a question here on the boards.

Hi apologies for not getting back to you sooner!
Many thanks for your post and your offer of advice any help would be great i am in the process of finalising the purchase of my boat and the trip is looking to made second or third week of september 2009.
Thanks again.
Jeff

Jim H 07-09-2009 05:45 AM

Given your location, I suggest you read up and post questions here as well:

Yachting and Boating World forums: Viewing list of forums

In your price range, you might find a Vega 27 or a Contessa 26. Both are strong and relatively sea worthy for their size. I also like Trapper 500s (basically a C&C 27), but it might be a bit light for the conditions you could encounter.

Have a good time on your sailing weekend. We like BOSS in Hamble, because they have a fleet of Westerly Fulmars for learning on. (Instead of 40 foot race boats.)

kekkul 07-12-2009 08:36 PM

A beautiful Contest 30..........