SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

That Liveaboard Look...?

4K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  CaptainForce 
#1 ·
Ok, so I confess... we have a tomato plant on the dock. I am trying to find that balance between homey and floating trailer trash.

So where is that line? If we built a small "work bench" type thing out on the end of the dock (we're on a T-head) for my son to bring his shells and rocks, is that too much?

When does homey become trashy on the docks?

#2 ·
Hi Salty, I think to some extent the answer to your Q depends on 'community standards,' and because of your concern about the liveaboard image I'd guess you want to be on the high side of that standard. The fact that you're asking suggests that you're aware that no one else in your marina has done something like this, maybe that is a singnal to you? If you're expecting to be one of the uglier or more cluttered locations - stop and think it through! I'd also ask: Is your marina one in which many people have personalized their slips, or is it pristine? Are you even permitted to attach things to the docks? If you're even remotely inconveniencing your neighbors by making them walk around your planned 'thingy' I think that's completely non-negotiable. I assume from your T-head location that you wouldn't be impacting anyone else's access. Second, even more than the dock is the boat itself - does it look clean and shippy and ready to sail?

If you're planning on cruising at some point, you and your son will have to be able to contain everything ABOARD, so you might as well start getting into that mindset early. Don't accumulate what you can't store. JMHO.

#4 ·
Thanks for the good sound advice. Eryka, I think you are aboard so close to my dock you can almost see our boat from your marina.
Right now we're keeping it simple and playing it by ear.
It's funny because in real life I see so many other marinas where you can spot the liveaboard boats from a mile away because of the "stuff". But online when I asked about it in a couple of different forums, everyone keeps a tidy dock.
Hmmmmmm. ;)
We are "ready to sail" and like to stay that way during the season. Good point Eryka. I don't know if my ideas for the dock would impact that or not.
Good things to ponder...

#5 ·
It's funny because in real life I see so many other marinas where you can spot the liveaboard boats from a mile away because of the "stuff".
I always fear that this is what gives liveaboards a bad rap - those that can't contain their clutter, encroach on their neighbors, and generally let their boats decline because they never plan to actually use them to go anywhere. I distinguish those, some of whom live aboard merely becuase its cheap; from those who live aboard because they love boats and boating. The third class is the cruising boats - the ones with the jerry jugs, windvanes, and other accoutrements of needing to be totally self-sufficient on the hook. At the same time that they look cluttered, I think that's a different case, and different legitimate needs. (and most often their stuff is aboard, not on the dock)

Best of, whatever you decide.

#8 ·
Some people may live on their boat while others live at a marina. We've always disciplined ourselves to be able to leave the dock with all our possessions in the time that it takes for our engine to warm I'm not speaking as a person planning escape or in the witness protection program! I just want to be self reliant, independant, and ready to sail! This manner of living aboard coupled with no attempt to establish a marina as an official residence leaves a liveaboard far more options and flexability in the choice of where they are docked or moored. 'take care and joy, Aythya crew

#9 ·
Interesting... so share some more on how you do it? Do you have cars? Where do you get your mail? I guess the "things" we may have around the marina (hulahoops and tricycles) and things we'd gladly leave without anyhow ;)

As an update... So far we haven't done anything on the dock... my son has managed to keep his "marina lab" on deck :laugher and I am growing to like the look and feel of a long, tidy dock as well. We had a little finger pier before, so alongside feels very roomy.

#10 ·
From the time we first moved aboard in '72 until 2002 we did have jobs ashore and cars and children in school most of that time, but we still avoided dock boxes or dock gear and we could leave the dock for even an afternoon sail quickly at whim. After retiring in 2002 we have had no cars (actually Nothing owned that's not aboard) and we have kept no permanant slip. We have sometimes stayed in one place for a few months, but we have kept mobile, usually cruising about 3 to 4 thousand miles/year. Many do more, but we're steady long term cruisers. One simple rule,- everything stays on the boat and ready to sail. 'take care and joy, Aythya crew

#11 ·
Hurricanes permitting, we'll be beginning our cruising less than a month from today, and I'm seeing the wisdom of owning nothing that isn't aboard. I give us a pass for the accoutrements of land-based jobs (cars, office clothing); and tools/building materials for the projects necessary to get our boat ready for cruising. But there's a surprising amount of stuff that was easier to accumulate than to shed, and some possessions that there's not really much excuse for except sentiment.

We've got enough real projects to do, to get ready to go, that I don't need to add "find a good repository for my [late] dog's favorite bandana, or the print from my photo-op with the Secretary of Interior" to my to-do list!!

#12 ·
I forgot to respond to that question about receiving mail. We use the St. Brendan's Isle mail service and ask for our mail to be sent to various locations while we are cruising,- usually once or twice a month. As we have been fulltime cruiing since 2002 our mail volume has dimenished and we have increased internet communication and management of accounts. We still prefer to have our mail sent to a post office with general delivery pick-up as opposed to sending it to a marina. This also allows for more anchoring out with less marina costs. 'take care and joy, Aythya crew

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.