SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

How Useful Would a Boat to Home Vacation Exchange Service Be

Boat to Home Exchange

9K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  justinasettles 
#1 ·
We are an Australian boatie family living in Denver. All our vacations used to be on board our 35-ft launch there, but now that we are land-locked, our vacations are to resorts and campgrounds.

Wouldn't it be good if there was a home-exchange service that allowed people who live on a boat to vacation in a stationary house and land-lubbers to float awhile.

#2 ·
Loaning Imagine out would be like loaning my mistress. No frikking way I am going to exchange a house for my boat. Hell, I have a beautiful brick home w/pool 2 miles away from business. Yet every night I drive 20 miles to sleep on my boat.......i2f

#3 · (Edited)
I would do it. I've got the house and wouldn't mind getting a bare boat charter for the cost of travel.
There are house swap websites.
I suspect there would be a few issues involved.
Insurance for example.
I doubt it a live aboard couple would be willing to let strangers use their boat. The systems are somewhat complicated and all their personal gear is aboard.
What might work better is if two couples have a house and a boat.
They trade both for the same week.
One couple may decide to use the others couple house, the other the boat.

In this case really personal items can be put away in a locked closet. The boat is just a weekend boat.
This may be the perfect time to launch this service. In the past I would have said the the people that have a big boat and house would probably just rather spend the extra 3,000 a charter would cost. Maybe not now.

I like it are you going to put up the website or can I?
I'll just sub it out to Saildog, he works cheap.:D

#8 ·
I think what might work is a site which functions more like a barter exchange, where you can rent out unbooked weekends or weeks at your vacation home or boat in return for credits or some type of pseudo currency. You could in turn use those credits for time at somebody else' vacation house or boat.

Len Porcano
35 KNOTS
Good Idea.

#11 ·
Hi David PM.. have you done anything with the boat exchange idea?...

I was thinking the same thing, at stumbeled on the this tread during my research

kind regards

Sune
Nope, its up to you now if you want to do it. I'm pretty sure this internet thing is just a fad that will go away soon anyway.

#12 ·
Here Goes:

I have a 1500sq ft Waterfront Apartment in Aberdeen, Hong Kong. Very easy access to downtown (10min taxi ride). I would be very interested in swapping my place for the use of a boat somewhere, for the period of 1 week or longer. You may also have the use of my car.
Any takers?

Rgds Adam

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.