Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2009
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TQA View Post
Forget the washer dryer just make sure you can run some serious A/C down here in Florida. Yeah 30 to 35 will do and consider ANY MAKE if you can get financing on it.

But why not go for something like this. 1974 Jensen Marine CAL 2-46 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com even take a lodger.

You are not going to sail that often anyway but the Bahamas are possible and if you are doing it at short notice a big ole motorsailor will be more comfortable crossing the stream.
these huge cals actually SAIL!!!! jensen was goood--as good as lapworth and these things are very cool boats........
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-14-2009
In Constant Motion

JeffBurright is on a distinguished road
Hi there,
A while back another fellow was asking about a similar dream, and I left a lengthy comment there regarding my decision and experiences living aboard a 30' pre-loved boat. You can see it here:
A green sailor!

In general I say go for it, but cheap old me says don't go into hock for anything greater than $20K unless you're making a serious commitment to the lifestyle and/or win the scratch-it lotto. Also, I personally find 30' to be the height of comfort. There are a ton of good old boats out there for reasonable prices (i.e., the combined parts are probably worth more than the total asking price), and you can always trade up later. You'd do well to just start touring the different boats on the market and researching their characteristics as you go.

Job #1 though is to figure out how tough it is to get liveaboard moorage at a marina where you want to live.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook