SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Living Aboard (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/living-aboard/)
-   -   Sailing from Sagatuck (LI Sound) to Block Island (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/living-aboard/57644-sailing-sagatuck-li-sound-block-island.html)

Blockboy420 09-01-2009 02:54 PM

Sailing from Sagatuck (LI Sound) to Block Island

Ahoy,

I am not an ameteur to the sea by any means. but next summer I have planned to take my 27 ft Hunter dubbed "sugar magnolia" (after the grateful dead song) to block island

i am not much of a liveaboard sailor by anymeans. the furthest i have ever taken it is about 6 miles off the harbor of Cedar Point Yacht Club for a day trip with some friends, or out by kikini

i have experince sailing lasers, hobie's, sunfish and such but never such a relativly large vessel. my father has given it to me for my 18th birthday and my buddy and i plan on living on it all summer in the great salt pond while working there.

the reality of the situation is i have done the route many times but never actually driven... or sailed there for that matter i would like your knowledge and expertise onthe route, where i should stay

and what exactly i should have on the boat and what it will cost me. i will go into further detail later and explain my situation and plan for work if you are interested.

my questions are, how should i break up the trip?
how do i plan my trip with the tide?
my bow light, mast light, and ACC do not work, fuses are not the problem
most of the electrical is skrewy at best and the water pump doesnot work
what in terms of electrical equipment, ice boxes, covers, and other equp, should i have... i was thinking like a propane stove and such. well
get back to me i have all the time to discuss this just need some help.

safe sailing, Blockboy.

SOUNDBOUNDER 09-01-2009 03:27 PM

There are a lot of questions to answer here, so I will just address two.

Sailing during daylight hours only, you can do the trip in two days.

Secondly what you should do is get some more experience in the meantime.
Sail a trip to Oyster Bay, Greenwich, or Port Jefferson etc. This will give you more experience plus familiarize yourself with the boat.

A trip to Block island should be taken seriously. YOU ARE GOING TO SEA! There is no nearby cove or harbor should poor weather or boat problems occur. It doesn't mean you need to spend thousands of dollars for every safety gizmo and navigation device available, but you can't just "wing it" either.

tommays 09-01-2009 03:35 PM

Well

Your going to need to do some repiars so the boats SAFE first and have your MSD(head) in prefect shape as they do test and will toss you OUT

Its no big deal to get to Block if you wait for the right day as i have done it in a 19' boat BUT it sure cost a lot of money to STAY there and i dont know of a way around that

RobGallagher 09-09-2009 07:54 PM

I'll add..

Don't plan your triip by the tide, plan it by the current (High tide and the start of the ebb can vary by a couple of hours or more).

You need a copy of Eldridges if you plan on sailing in LIS, Fisher's Island sound, Block Island etc.

It's an easy trip if you plan the weather and the current correctly.

Blockboy420 09-27-2009 09:07 PM

Thanks guys

yeah. i will definitly look into all that... and i plan on dropping anchor or getting a permanent moor. there. we'll see i guess...

any idea what fixing my head will cost??

any more advice??

SOUNDBOUNDER 09-29-2009 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blockboy420 (Post 526878)
yeah. i will definitly look into all that... and i plan on dropping anchor or getting a permanent moor. there. we'll see i guess...

any idea what fixing my head will cost??

any more advice??

Anchoring can be a bit of a problem there.

As for the head, I think the cheapest and easiest way to have a holding tank on a small boat is to buy one of those portable camping toilets. I am guessing, but I think they are around $60.