Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2009

CapnMikel is on a distinguished road
Never get off the boat w/out taking the trash.
Your dock/neighborhood can be a fun safe place!
If you can find 12v fluorescent light bulbs Buy them!! They are out there...
Try not to be that one boater who never leaves the dock.
Never use salt water and bleach to do laundry when you are out cruising,
your clothes will fall apart, I saw the results once.. lol
tie strings to tools... or get a good magnate & start fishing.
A directional-digital TV antenna is a great thing [around 37 bucks at the wally mart]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-13-2009
Meat Popsicle

nailbunnySPU is on a distinguished road
found more stuff

You know, for windows:

Ace Indoor Window Insulation Kit - Window Shrink Film Kits - Ace Hardware

Aha! Butter that needs no refrigeration!
Clarified butter - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 10-13-2009

tager is on a distinguished road
Rats make nice pets. Smaller girlfriends are better.
Old 10-13-2009

wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by nailbunnySPU View Post
Aha! Butter that needs no refrigeration!
Nail,

Like you I have been looking for a good butter solution and have not found one. I bought some ghee once but I can't remember now if I liked it or not. I have also tried to find some single serving/condiment sized butter packets and the only place I found that was online mention of "Amul" brand butter from India being available in 25 gram packets with long shelf life, which would work, but I haven't found an actual source for them, only press releases about them.

I remember when I was young butter was just left out on the table until it got so hot that it melted and started to break, and even then people ate it. I might try the ghee again, cruisers do recommend it.

You would think small packages of butter would be easy to find, I mean, you can go to Waffle House and they'll give you packages of butter for your waffles, somebody must sell it, either that or maybe it isn't actually butter, the packages seem to say "spread" on them.

Please support my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by wind_magic; 10-13-2009 at 04:41 AM. Reason: added picture
Old 10-14-2009

sailorgirl60 is on a distinguished road
practical advice...

What I learned in my first year:

#1- How to stay warm ( in New England)

CERAMIC electric heaters-cheap & easy, coiled heaters are dangerous!! and/or purchase 2 20lb propane tanks & a small Mr. Heater from Tractor Supply or Home Depot, 15 ft of hose

We set the tiny ceramics in the engine compartment & under the V-berth on the lowest setting. We ran the propane once it got into the 30's and have the second tank to switch to when the first runs dry. ALWAYS fill the tank the day it runs dry. Tanks stayed in cockpit.

Down comfortor-king size so when he pulls the covers I still have some.

Electric mattress cover-heated the bed for 15 minutes before we got in-lovely!

#2 Water- USE IT! We don't skimp on our water usage so that our tanks are constantly flushing. We have no smell or taste issues.

To fill tanks in the winter, drop the entire FROZEN hose into the water-it will defrost the hose so it's pliable. I snapped several hoses before someone taught me this trick.

#3 Showers- we always use the marina facilities. It reduces the condensation in our boat.

We each have a shower bag ready at all times with the exception of a towel.
A) in the summer leave a towel in your car so when you realize you've forgotten yours you don't have to go all the way back to the boat.
B)In the winter-take quarters with you-dry your towel in the on-site dryer, it'll never smell moldy. You can come back later to get it out of the dryer.

#4 Galley-NO GADGETS!
good mechanical can opener
one very sharp knife
two frying pans- 1 large, one small
two soup pots-medium
one sauce pan
my coveted convenience-my coffee maker (I knew I couldn't live without quick coffee in the AM)

we shop daily for fresh stuff- I got used to doing this after wasting too much food that won't keep on the boat; you are allowed to buy 2 bananas, it's ok. Buy indiviual rolls-loaves of bread don't last(they become swan food)

we indulge in spices, we keep all the little bottles in one ziplock bag

#5 KEEP EVERYTHING IN ZIPLOCK BAGS!!!!Clothes, toilet paper, paperwork, playing cards, cookies, tampons(yes they burst), EVERYTHING bags come in all sizes

#6 HAVE A SENSE OF HUMOR!!!!

#7 Enjoy yourself, the people, the wildlife, the environment, your vessel!!

Do it!
Old 10-14-2009

ardoin is on a distinguished road
1: everything in its place, and a place for everything! It's more than a mantra
2: no hard luggage or other containers, you'll never find a place to put them, use duffel bags and soft tools bags
3: prepare for winter, i advise that you get a boat with 1/4" insulation above the H2O line, stay warm
4: washable wool blankets are great!
5: get to know all your liveaboard neighbors! Have them over for dinner.
6: put your music into iTunes, CD's take space
7: make sure you nav station is comfortable. It will be your workspace/office too
8: Umbrella is the most useless thing invented, get a good rain coat and hat
9: air tight containers are a must, humidity is always high, very high, if you have lived in Tampa, Mobil, N.O., or Houston, you know what to expect
10: if you haven't used it in that past year, throw it away

I've lived most of my life in small places, so the change to a boat was not that bad. I miss the small garden plot. Otherwise, it is great living aboard a boat. The aft cabin is usually the most comfortable for sleep, so if you can, get a boat with a nice aft cabin. Boat systems vary greatly, I don't know how to tell you what you should or shouldn't have, but they need to be logical... what is on AC vs DC, what alternate source of power, heat, gas, batt charging, refrig, fresh vs salt water, etc... read a few books and talk to others to see what works for them.

finally, bright work (wood on the exterior of the boat) looks great, but it requires maintenance! Nevertheless, it is better than mowing a lawn.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-10-2009

tojaso is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaOatMan View Post
Anyone out there living on a 28? I am thinking about buying one and need a little support...... all ideas considered. Thanks SOM
I ived aboard a Catalina 27 for about 2 years and loved it, then again it was just me living aboard. I got remarried and that came with a family, now we are aboard a 42' steel ketch...

as far as the size is concerned, if it is just you, I would say go for it. You will get a good lesson in simplistic living. But yo will also have a great opportunity to take her out and play..

Best of luck in whatever you decide.

Life can be lived in a freeze dried, GPS, microwaved, roller furling fashion or it can be experienced in a more heave-ho, gaff rigged, slow-cooked kind of way.
Old 11-10-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I'd point out that rats and girlfriends are often mutually exclusive....
Quote:
Originally Posted by tager View Post
Rats make nice pets. Smaller girlfriends are better.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 11-10-2009

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
[QUOTE=wind_magic;531395]either that or maybe it isn't actually butter, the packages seem to say "spread" on them.[QUOTE]

In the US if it says "Spread" it very definitely is not butter. It may be a hydrogenated oil, a margarine or some blend. Some of which may taste just as good but they still aren't butter.

I think you will find that you can buy cases of these single-serving products at a local "restaurant supply" store, if there's none near you ask the restaurant manager where he gets his from, or if you can buy a case from him. Most would be quite willing to accomodate a customer that way, unless the supplies come from a franchise source that can't be resold.

If you look at old cook books, there are ways to preserve butter IIRC by keeping it immersed in oil or vinegar, perhaps brine, just like you'd "put up" a cheese.
Old 11-10-2009

Architeuthis is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesnort View Post
I'm interested in learning what things you soon figured out were necessary and about the things you thought would be necessary, but learned were not all that important or useful, once you started living aboard.
In a broader sense the question is also interesting in learning what other things you never expected before you moved on board.

Necessary:

Heat. Even in Alabama and Florida heat is nice but farther north it is not optional. If your heat needs a cord to the dock you'll do less winter sailing.

Internet or at least the ability to get email on the go.

Nice to have:

A marina with nice washrooms, laundry, and showers. We are at boat parking lot right now and lack of services suck.

A car. It is great to have a car at the marina but there are work arounds.

Not needed:

Lots of tools. Sewing machine. No room for major projects once boat is in the water and we are living on it. Same with sewing machine. Of course those on larger boats would not have that problem.

TV but sure was nice when we were in an area that had TV.

The hardest is trying to live with one foot on land and one on the boat. It is easier to just live on board and not need or have land clothes and expenses.

I think the ideal situation is to have a house or home on land and a boat at the local dock. Easier to do projects on the boat and yet not have the boat so full of stuff that taking off for a day or two becomes a hassle. We can't afford that yet so on the boat it is.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.