Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2009

jhack82 is on a distinguished road
LOL, as soon as the cat throws up on my clean laundry or pees in the dresser, then I will give warning by tossing out intp the marina.Lead is for the second offense. but I will then have to fiugure out how to convince my wife that cat "wandered off" I have already washed my hands of any invovlement with the engine and the cat or the bilge if the cats not loud enough when she falls in.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-16-2009
Meat Popsicle

nailbunnySPU is on a distinguished road
Just discovered Quinoa

Bob's Red Mill Organic Grain Quinoa, 26-Ounce Packages (Pack of 4): Amazon.com: Grocery

It's real good bachelor chow, this stuff outrices rice as far as flavor and is a good source of protein with the right amino acid balance.

Being spoiled with pressure water, I got my first faucet filter. After a few weeks of using it, I say, screw pitcher filters.

Just because I have 30 amps shore power doesn't mean I can run it all through one gfci outlet.

I'm thinking about putting down some cork floor and got some samples Amazon.com: Wicanders Seville XTEC Cork Flooring Sample, Marble: Home Improvement
Not impressed. It's fiberboard sandwiched between two layers of cork. Too rigid and i can imagine a lot of water wicking. This search continues. I'm inspired by Rikki-tikki-tavi... The Cork Floor and may use their source.

I've developed an approach to varnishing the interior of a boat I live on. Do it before I go on vacation.

Last edited by nailbunnySPU; 11-16-2009 at 04:45 AM.
Old 11-16-2009

wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by nailbunnySPU View Post
Just discovered Quinoa

Bob's Red Mill Organic Grain Quinoa, 26-Ounce Packages (Pack of 4): Amazon.com: Grocery

It's real good bachelor chow, this stuff outrices rice as far as flavor and is a good source of protein with the right amino acid balance.
I like Quinoa too, good stuff, it is getting easier to find but I don't like the high price they put on it in the health food section of the grocery stores.

Please support my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-16-2009

wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about
Nail, by the way, if you like packaged oatmeal and want to be able to make it inexpensively, the secret is to get quick oats and grind some of the quick oats up with the grain mill and mix the flour with quick oats. It is the flour that makes the quick oats thick in water, without the quick oat flour you just have watery mush.

Please support my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-30-2009

closehauled14 is on a distinguished road
1: I have lived aboard for a period of about two years. One thing that I found extremely helpful is to find a good anchorage to live in. With the help of a good wind/solar system, and some self control when it comes to the electric you wind up saving all of your dockage. For me it was about $500.00/mo. That money comes in handy for all of the little projects that WILL come up.
2: You live on a boat. Let that soak in for a minute. Now, if you are cold, move toward the equator. If you are hot move away from said imaginary line. Repeat as necisary. Make friends that do the same. Around these parts you're called a snowbird. In November, you head to the caribian. Then in may you go back to the carolinas (cheap dockage and cost of living).
3: Don't buy a fridge. Keep the ice box, use block ice, and use that money to buy a small chest-style freezer to keep meats, vegitables ect.
4: 28ft is plenty of boat for a single person or a couple as long as you stay in a place with good weather. Your cockpit is like an extra living area.
5: Keep all of your tools organized, labeled, and stowed when not in use.
6: if you are maried or have a spouse of some sort, you do not need a tv. There is plenty to do/talk about on a boat. Have a few cocktails and enjoy your suroundings and each other. If you reqire ambient noise, an fm radio comes in handy.
7: learn to fish, and buy a crab trap. There is nothing better than fresh fish/shelfish, and other than the initial purchase of tackle/equipt it's FREE. You can get bait for the crab pot at a local fish market any time. Just tip the worker a couple bucks and you will have access to all the fish heads you would ever want.
8: boom tent/bimini is a necesity.
9: if you don't fall on love with it, go back to the hill, my anchorage is a bit crowded anyhow.
Old 11-30-2009

Btw, don't get floating condo syndrome. Go sailing regularly and enjoy your wonerful lifstyle. And if you don't want the expense or hasle of a car, just plan your fuel, water, pumpout and provisioning needs so that you can use a marina with a courtesy van. Many marinas have them, and you can cut down on transient fees by knocking this all out at once. If you are on the east coast there is a publication called skipper bob's that is a great tool for marina planing. It lists everything that you would want to know about marinas, anchorages, and nav hazards along the atlantic ICW.
Old 12-01-2009

roadranger is on a distinguished road
Ahoy. Newbee, here. My family and I (incl. wife, 7 yr old daughter and 3 yr old son) will be settling in Charlotte Harbor in less than 2 months and going to attempt to live on-the-hook. We are still boat shopping and have let a few great deals slip through our fingers because we didn't act fast enough. Oh well, there's always another opportunity right around the corner. So here are my newbee questions:

Are there any free anchorages in Charlotte Harbor? How long is a boat allowed to stay in the same spot in this anchorage (if any)?

Thanks for any help.

Roadranger
TANSTAAFL
Old 12-01-2009

Roadranger, you may want to start a new thread on that topic. You'll probobly get more and better answers that way.
Old 12-01-2009

WanderingStar is on a distinguished road
Also, contact the harbormaster.
Old 12-01-2009

Oh, sure, just save yourself all the trouble, and call the guy with all of the answers to your questions. Nice catch WanderingStar.