Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2009

CaptainForce will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingStar View Post
Also, contact the harbormaster.
Although the position of "harbormaster" is common in the Northeast US there is typically no such person in Florida ports. Vessels that are in the process of "navigation" and are operational (not derelict) have no time limits on anchoring in Florida. Is is much to your advantage to present yourself as a fulltime cruiser rather than a liveaboard. 'take care and joy, aythya crew
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-01-2009

roadranger is on a distinguished road
CaptainForce, thanks for the info. I posted on this thread because it is the most interesting to me and my wife. She is a little nervous about the transition and all of the posts on this forum have helped with that. Now, her biggest concern seems to be about doing laundry. One of the boats that we came close to buying (day late-dollar short) had a washer-dryer combo, which is probably excellant--- in a marina. I'm not so sure about the practicality of one while living at anchor-- a lot of electricity, storing the dirty laundry water (unless it can be legally discharged, which I doubt), etc. Any "dirty laundry" advice would go a long way with us.

Thanks for your responses.

Roadranger
Rick
TANSTAAFL
Old 12-02-2009

WanderingStar is on a distinguished road
Lol
Laughing at the reply that thanked me for the obvious. No doubt my poor typing and computer skills make this seem an odd response.

Last edited by WanderingStar; 12-05-2009 at 09:56 AM.
Old 12-02-2009

<<"...present yourself as a fulltime cruiser rather than a liveaboard.">>

CaptainForce,
Thank you for pointing-out my improper nomenclature. My family and I are sailors and our boat will be a sailing vessel, not a bouyant apartment. I don't think I could stand staying in the same spot too long, anyway-- too many places to go, too much stuff to see. We do, however, have kin in Port Charlotte who is willing to let us use her dock and her driveway. I'm not sure I can pass-up an opportunity like that.
TANSTAAFL
Old 12-02-2009

closehauled14 is on a distinguished road
Man, you've got a cheap/free slip and use of a driveway!! Well, what do you need us for? No, seriosly, I hope that you and your family enjoy it.
Old 12-02-2009

<<"...Well, what do you need us for?">>

LOL

I am still hoping to pick up a few insights on things like: how to not die at sea and still keep my wife happy... stuff like that.

Roadranger
Rick
TANSTAAFL
Old 12-02-2009

<< "Man, you've got a cheap/free slip and use of a driveway!!">>

It's just a dinghy dock, but still a convenience, to be sure.
TANSTAAFL
Old 12-05-2009

sailorgirl60 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadranger View Post
[URL="http://www.sailnet.com/forums/members/captainforce.html"]Captain. Any "dirty laundry" advice would go a long way with us.

Thanks for your responses.

Roadranger
Rick
Captain- I am a liveaboard and understand your woman's concern. This is my second year on board. I've found that getting off the boat in a marina that has laundries facilities has become a social outlet rather than a chore. I enjoy the seclusion of my boat emensely but look forward to chatting with someone other than my captain on occasion! It might be a good, safe place to let the children run a bit after weeks at sea.
I srongly suggest you and your wife read "The Essentials of Living Aboard A Boat" by Mark Nichoals. It's a no frills look at what it like and gives plenty of practical advice.
When it comes to safety, I can't recommend strongly enough to include a satellite phone. I have a 26 yr old daughter who works in the yachting business, she was in the South Pacific when the tsunami hit American Samoa. That satellite phone was her only connection to home and it took twelve hours to get the call through to me. Make sure you can reach your land people, not only our rescue services. You're taking your children, I'm sure someone has told you how crazy you are. Give them a satellite number for extreme emergencies, you'll all feel better.
Enjoy! Enjoy! Enjoy! You are a lucky family!

What type of boat are you looking for???

Drop me en e-mail I'd love to hear your story from the beginning! Seagoing woman are somewhat rare tell your wife to consider me a friend! bn.sailorgirl@gmail.com
Steady Hand likes this.
Old 12-06-2009

Thank you for pointing out what should have been obvious to me. I will endeavor to keep her social life in mind, as she seems to always remember mine.

You are correct in your assumption that our friends and family have tried to talk us out of becoming full-time cruisers. They have used arguments of the dangers of hurricanes, lightning storms ("you know that Florida has the highest incidents of lightning deaths..."), losing the kids to the sea, putting a strain on the marriage, etc., ad-nauseum.

You have all heard those arguments before so I won't go into my responses to them. They mean well, but they are all saying, essentially, the same thing-- "it's just 'not normal.'" And for them, "not normal" is the same as "crazy." I do have this to say, however: I challenge my nay-saying friends to go to the biography section of any library and look for the books written about great men and women who led ordinary lives.

It is my belief that extroardinary people are born of extra-ordinary childhoods. I wish for my children, much more than a mundane, trivial existence, so, it is with a mix of trepidation and anticipation that my wife and I are making such a radical lifestyle change. We are hoping that this new life-aboard will give our family something that most never get-- substance.

To be sure, we will make our boat as safe for the children as possible-- netting inside the life-lines, PDF rules, radios, EPIRB, and even a Sat-phone if we venture too far from civilization. Good sailors minimize risks, and I expect to show my kids how to be good sailors... by example. That, I expect, will entail a lot of hard work and some self-discipline, too. I'm 'good with that.' Beth, my wife and soon-to-be First Officer, is okay with it, too.

Perhaps I will start a blog, like so many others have done, but this is enough for one post.

Thanks for the encouragement. I will let her know that she has an on-line sailing friend.
TANSTAAFL
Old 12-06-2009

jhack82 is on a distinguished road
number 1 way to keep the wife happy, hot showers. It's a pain in the butt, but with a woman, it seems to be worth it, at least in my experience.

good luck!

s/v firefly

Last edited by jhack82; 12-06-2009 at 02:38 PM. Reason: corrected for my bad spelling