SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

What You Have Learned After Becoming a Liveaboard

23K views 75 replies 32 participants last post by  Beyond2012 
#1 ·
I'm interested in learning what things you soon figured out were necessary and about the things you thought would be necessary, but learned were not all that important or useful, once you started living aboard.
In a broader sense the question is also interesting in learning what other things you never expected before you moved on board.

#2 · (Edited)
Not a live aboard yet but looking forward to it in the next 9 months.

Things I am not looking forward to loosing?
My Stove, or most of my electric kitchen gear...
Laundry machines...
Computers... (I have 4 systems now, a server, a HTPC, my gaming rig and my laptop)
Having the cat litter box in an out of the way place...

Things I am looking forward to gaining?
More freedom.
Rocking to sleep.
Nature.
Living a more minimalist life style...

Do I need a 56" Plasma TV in the living room and a 40" LCD in the bedroom? No. Do I need 4 computers? No. Do I need cupboards full of kitchen gadgets? No. Do I need all this 'stuff' littering my life? No. But having closet's makes it pretty easy to accumulate more of it.

Robert

#3 ·
thesnort, that is a great question. I am looking to buy and move aboard in the next 6-12 months, and am beginning to think about living aboard. I've lived a minimalist existence several past cycles, 6 years in the military and building a cabin in the woods as a retreat and homestead. I remember most fondly the timeless seasons I spent alone (half the time) each year clearing forest, building a cabin and growing my food. I imagine cruising much like that in terms of pacing, with less hump work but still demanding a constant attention to adjustment and maintaining systems, with diving, fishing and touring thrown in. And all this without a watch on my wrist. :cool:

I hope to find some fine thoughtful wisdom in the thread to put me ahead of my game.

#6 ·
After living aboard for 7 years, looking back on what we THOUGHT we'd need when we moved here from Michigan in 2002:

*half as many clothes as I initially brought. Everything in the same group of colors so you only need one or two sets of accessories, rather than 3 sets of shoes/socks/belts etc in black, brown, and navy (for example). Almost everything I own now is black, beige, white, or medium blue - everything goes with everything else, making getting dressed easy. Seek out, and pay extra if necessary, for clothes that are wrinkle-free and don't need to be dry cleaned - there are even washable wools now. And until a couple of weeks ago, I had one of *those* kind of dressup desk jobs.

*twice as many tools. Its a boat, after all. Things break. And if you're living aboard, using stuff every day, its going to break more often. I have one friend whose idea of a "toolkit" is a cellphone and a checkbook. For the rest of us (a) sometimes things break when you're in a pretty primitive place; (b) sometimes things break and need to be fixed NOW because water's coming in; (c) money's not infinite.

*a quarter as many kitchen thingeys. A good sharp knife is more reliable than an electric food processor, and takes less space too! Take nothing that serves only one purpose (hand-cranked pasta machine? heart-shaped cake pan?) Our galley has some good-quality stacking pots and pans; the aforementioned good knives, whisks, spatulas; an eggbeater; lemon zester; corkscrew; can opener; Melitta-type coffee filter; soup ladle; and that's about it. Oh yeah, and a grill <*winking at CD*> You're likely to be spending a lot more time socializing, so a few serving trays or break-resistant wineglasses/beer mugs/whatever you drink are in order too.

*you don't really need every gadget they hawk at the boat shows ...

*think space-saving. We put all our CDs on an iPod and all my cookbooks on computer files, for example. I'm thinking about getting a Kindle for the same reason, but there's always book exchanges at marinas.

#7 ·
eryka- very helpful!
lshick- I plan on reading all your logs!
krozet- I hope to share what I learn with you, as I'll probably be moving on board a bit before you.
fjon- You've already done much more than myself. I've only dreamt about doing what you've done with your cabin construction.

#8 ·
Looking forward to it.

#9 ·
I was making such a list just last night. I lived aboard for 2 years in a marina about 20 years ago and with my boy off to college now and me an empty-nester, I've thought about living aboard again. For reference, I was 37 then, 57 now. My boat was & is a Catalina 36 (great liveaboard boat) & I own a 2,000 sq ft townhouse. I decided that the things I'd miss (in no particular order) are my 70" TV with DVR, piano, the garage for my cars & motorcycles & workshop (I like to build & fix stuff), a dry place for my guitars, a dry place for my guns and insane ammo supply, desktop computer with high-speed internet, the kitchen & appliances, long hot showers, king size bed, central air when it's hot, central heat when it's cold and space to keep all the clothes, books & "stuff" that I've accumulated. I loved living aboard, but my life was much simpler then. I haven't decided whether I'm willing to give up the foregoing, I may well just stay living on land and go sailing when I want. The thought of keeping a boat on the east coast & cruising the Bahamas in the winters is also a consideration. Oh, and for the record, had I NOT gotten married, moved off my boat, had a child and bought the house and stuff, I'm sure that I would have been as happy as a clam still living on my boat. It really is a great way to live, but it may have passed me by at this point.

Mike

#27 ·
Anyone out there living on a 28? I am thinking about buying one and need a little support...... all ideas considered. Thanks SOM
I ived aboard a Catalina 27 for about 2 years and loved it, then again it was just me living aboard. I got remarried and that came with a family, now we are aboard a 42' steel ketch...

as far as the size is concerned, if it is just you, I would say go for it. You will get a good lesson in simplistic living. But yo will also have a great opportunity to take her out and play..

Best of luck in whatever you decide.

#11 ·
Living aboard

I live on a 24'. I would rank a boom tent/dodger/bimini as a top need. A toaster oven is a great thing, and so is storage space. Consider changing one of the berths into storage on smaller boats. Does your 24' really need to sleep 5? Space heaters are awesome. Mr. Clean magic erasers clean gelcoat REALLY WELL, and... a nice dock and nice neighbors, you will see them a lot.

#12 ·
I'll try to stay practical and save the sappy crap for the end. This is stuff that I actually had to find out by living aboard in 6 months so far in Maryland with no AC or fridge.
- Ants. They get in normal syrup caps, honey caps, bags of sugar, bags of splenda! Screw-top containers for all sweets are a must. Its an excuse to buy maple syrup.
- Mosquitos. They come in the evening when there is no breeze. Either make a breeze or close the window.
- Buy the smallest one. Whatever it is.
- Marine ACs and fridges are effing expensive.
- A blower is a heckuva good buy. Something like this lasko high velocity utility fan Lasko at Lowe's: 12" High Velocity Utility Fan Basically something squat and compact that moves A LOT of air without getting in the way. If you can rig a window fan in a companionway hatch so you can get around it without it taking a spill, you're smarter than me. This utility fan can put out a match all the way across the boat, keeps mosquitos out, and it's easy for me to leave it in the cockpit and step over it.
- Boom tent. This had been mentioned. In the summer, the deck gets hot from the sun. Some radiates in, making the boat unbearable. Boom tent plus my utility fan, i'm comfortable in a maryland july. No joke.
- Cetol comes off easily with a heat gun and a scraper.
- Get comprehensive towing insurance if you sail. If you don't sail, shame on you.
- I can fill a 12 gallon holding tank in three weeks if I try hard. A beer drinking night will really tax it. It is a real pita when the tank's full, it's the middle of the night and... Anyway, if you gotta go to a pumpout dock it's good incentive to learn to single-hand!
- Boat iceboxes tend to have crap for insulation. I dropped a cooler in mine, it'll keep ice for 3 days if i'm lucky. In the end i gave up and get ice about once a month when i'm feeling beer-y.
- Put beer in clean sock, soak sock in water, place in front of blower. Evaporative cooling will get the beer below ambient. Not much but enough for me.
- Propane kicks ass, but my rice cooker/steamer is most used. It does steel cut oatmeal, grits, spaghetti, macaroni, beans, chili, steamed veg, steamed shrimp. The best thing is I can plug it into a timer and have oatmeal ready when i wake up.
- Non-perishable foods: oatmeal, rice, grits, dry beans, pasta, canned sauce, powdered milk, pancake mix, flour, yeast. Individually wrapped cheese does ok, but not american-style slice packaging, they melt out. Tortillas. Regular farmers market trips. I can really friggin believe it's not butter, I need a better fix there.
- They got camping spice shakers that hold multiple compartments, great stuff.
- Vee berth is not for sleeping. Too cramped, too cold, condensation is nuts.
- Where you gonna put your fancy road bike? I got a folding bike, keep it in my car. Brand's called downtube, like dahon but way cheaper. Recommended.
- Manual head rebuild is surprisingly easy.
- Soap won't clean the brown crap off the water line. Not even bleach. Just get the stupid hull cleaner.
- Do the varnish when you can still sleep with the companionway open and the fan blowing.
- Tank water can get nasty. Use the water tank purifier stuff. I also got a rv water purifier that screws in the hose, at the "Market of Wal".
- Marina wanted my year's fee in advance. They didn't get it :) but they tell me thats how they do business.
- Buying a boat costs a LOT OF MONEY. Survey, captain for sea trial, survey haul, I PAID ALMOST $1000 TO GET A BOAT LOOKED AT.
- Man, a boat sure gets cold fast. It's my first winter so I'm learning as I go. I'm thinking cork floors and polystyrene insulation on the bulkheads, gonna get some sunbrella+thinsulate curtains made. Still wondering at an elegant foam+drop board setup. Not much info on the internet about insulating boats!

Sappy crap:
No more gunfire, dogs barking, roommates, ghetto blasters, lawn mowing, lawn edging, sweeping up grass clippings, nazi neighbors calling your landlord when you dont sweep up the grass clippings... I'm real happy I moved. I like birds OK and especially herons, just my luck there's a night heron that stands on a nearby piling some mornings and is staring in my window when i wake.

My primary advice to prospective liveaboards is, if you're a real minimalist, if you really have no problem with tight spaces, lord knows i am and i don't, then grow a friggin pair and do it.

#16 ·
- A blower is a heckuva good buy. Something like this lasko high velocity utility fan Lasko at Lowe's: 12" High Velocity Utility Fan Basically something squat and compact that moves A LOT of air without getting in the way. If you can rig a window fan in a companionway hatch so you can get around it without it taking a spill, you're smarter than me. This utility fan can put out a match all the way across the boat, keeps mosquitos out, and it's easy for me to leave it in the cockpit and step over it.
During my various travels and living in a very hot place without air conditioning this summer I have discovered that all I need is a small 12vdc fan blowing directly on me. That's it. If I have that I can sleep like a baby even when temperatures soar well above 100 degrees F. As long as I can get a good sleep I do okay.

- Non-perishable foods: oatmeal, rice, grits, dry beans, pasta, canned sauce, powdered milk, pancake mix, flour, yeast. Individually wrapped cheese does ok, but not american-style slice packaging, they melt out. Tortillas. Regular farmers market trips. I can really friggin believe it's not butter, I need a better fix there.
Nail, do you have a manual grain mill ? Love mine!

- Tank water can get nasty. Use the water tank purifier stuff. I also got a rv water purifier that screws in the hose, at the "Market of Wal".
I highly recommend a product called "True Lime", there is also a "True Lemon", both available at some grocery stores but I have not found it at Walmart. It is basically crystallized lime, a natural product, just a powder in packets that you can add to drinks and other foods to give it some pep, and it also masks undesirable flavors such as the plastic flavor water storage containers leave in the water after it sits a while.

The only hassle I have found is doing the laundry things like sheets and towels they are very hard to wring out drying is easy we have a clothesline around the entire cockpit but washing clothes is like going back to the 1800's
You can tie one end of a sheet to something on the boat then tie the other end of the sheet to a stick and give it a really good twist, that'll get rid of the water for sure, believe it! Piece of a mop handle works well. That said, I only hand wash clothing and such, I save the bedding for the eventual trip to a laundromat.

#13 ·
We watched our two children move into houses after living aboard from infants to adults. I learned to adapt to more space after they left. As we approach four decades of living aboard I can't imagine any other type of home. I haven't mowed a lawn since the spring of 1965, but I've scraped a lot of barnacles. If you've never lived in a house since you moved away from your parents, this is a tough question. Maybe we haven't learned anything! 'take care and joy, Aythya crew

#14 ·
Laundry living aboard

We live aboard a Raven 38 which we purpose built its very comfortable for two but can handle 6 we have 9 berths but use the back quarter berth for storage more than anything we shop about every 6 to 8 weeks and if possible buy in bulk. The only hassle I have found is doing the laundry things like sheets and towels they are very hard to wring out drying is easy we have a clothesline around the entire cockpit but washing clothes is like going back to the 1800's , Fresh food storage can also be a bummer we seem to waste a lot can't find away to get things to last longer than 3 weeks. Any ideas appreciated.

#15 ·
What I have learned about the living part of living aboard:
*My wife has too many clothes and it will stay that way. I have less clothes, and am OK with that.
*Insulation is a pain in the neck.
*One pot meals can be tasty.
*It is easy (and cleaner) to have a vegan diet on a boat.
*Composting toilets are cool in a urine/feces separating way.
*Dr. Bronners cleans everything and smells nice.
*Vinegar and baking soda work too, but smells funny.
*Hydrogen Peroxide is better than bleach for shocking the fresh water tank.
*Baking rocks in the winter.
*Over the rail boom tent rocks in the winter, especially when baking.
*We wanna fireplace!
*Screens are easy and cheap to make for any opening.
*Mosquitos suck. Literally.
*It is hard to teach ants neat tricks. The best I have done is the "run away from my finger" trick.
*We are happier without the hot water heater and pressure water.
*A modified garden sprayer makes for one helluva nice pressure shower. It's easy to clean those hard to reach places! whee.
*My wife has a lot of hair. And we aren't sure how it gets in the vast amount of places that it does.
*Sharp cooking knives can be both good and bad. Good for carrots. Bad for toes.
*While bald is beautiful it requires a multitude of hats.
*Some old timers really know what they are talking about. Others, not so much.
*It is hard to live on a boat and restore it at the same time, especially when trying to pursue and acting/playwriting/music career.
*Casting Directors find it interesting when one lives on a boat.
*Marina friends are the best friends you can have.

I could go on. But, I am still learning. Just do it. If you hate it stop. If you like it, keep doing it.

#17 ·
Get a small pressure cooker and learn how to cook with it. Saves gas and may save you from a bad burn at sea. Several offshore sailors have been seriously injured by a pot jumping off the stove and spilling over them.

You can even bake a loaf in one. I prefer stainless but ali ones are easier to find.

#18 ·
You can even bake a loaf in one. I prefer stainless but ali ones are easier to find.
I have made various kinds of breads, muffins, cakes, etc, in a pressure cooker and like the result, but for people who are unfamiliar with this you are going to have to get used to eating your cakes and bread with a bagel like exterior. The water/steam in the pressure cookers acts on the batter and dough in the same way that a bagel gets boiled in water, and it leaves a rubbery tough outside, which is actually pretty good once you get used to it.

#21 ·
Never get off the boat w/out taking the trash.
Your dock/neighborhood can be a fun safe place!
If you can find 12v fluorescent light bulbs Buy them!! They are out there...
Try not to be that one boater who never leaves the dock.
Never use salt water and bleach to do laundry when you are out cruising,
your clothes will fall apart, I saw the results once.. lol
tie strings to tools... or get a good magnate & start fishing.
A directional-digital TV antenna is a great thing :) [around 37 bucks at the wally mart]

#24 · (Edited)
Aha! Butter that needs no refrigeration!
Nail,

Like you I have been looking for a good butter solution and have not found one. I bought some ghee once but I can't remember now if I liked it or not. I have also tried to find some single serving/condiment sized butter packets and the only place I found that was online mention of "Amul" brand butter from India being available in 25 gram packets with long shelf life, which would work, but I haven't found an actual source for them, only press releases about them.

I remember when I was young butter was just left out on the table until it got so hot that it melted and started to break, and even then people ate it. I might try the ghee again, cruisers do recommend it.

You would think small packages of butter would be easy to find, I mean, you can go to Waffle House and they'll give you packages of butter for your waffles, somebody must sell it, either that or maybe it isn't actually butter, the packages seem to say "spread" on them.

#28 ·
I'd point out that rats and girlfriends are often mutually exclusive.... :)

#25 ·
practical advice...

What I learned in my first year:

#1- How to stay warm ( in New England)

CERAMIC electric heaters-cheap & easy, coiled heaters are dangerous!! and/or purchase 2 20lb propane tanks & a small Mr. Heater from Tractor Supply or Home Depot, 15 ft of hose

We set the tiny ceramics in the engine compartment & under the V-berth on the lowest setting. We ran the propane once it got into the 30's and have the second tank to switch to when the first runs dry. ALWAYS fill the tank the day it runs dry. Tanks stayed in cockpit.

Down comfortor-king size so when he pulls the covers I still have some.

Electric mattress cover-heated the bed for 15 minutes before we got in-lovely!

#2 Water- USE IT! We don't skimp on our water usage so that our tanks are constantly flushing. We have no smell or taste issues.

To fill tanks in the winter, drop the entire FROZEN hose into the water-it will defrost the hose so it's pliable. I snapped several hoses before someone taught me this trick.

#3 Showers- we always use the marina facilities. It reduces the condensation in our boat.

We each have a shower bag ready at all times with the exception of a towel.
A) in the summer leave a towel in your car so when you realize you've forgotten yours you don't have to go all the way back to the boat.
B)In the winter-take quarters with you-dry your towel in the on-site dryer, it'll never smell moldy. You can come back later to get it out of the dryer.

#4 Galley-NO GADGETS!
good mechanical can opener
one very sharp knife
two frying pans- 1 large, one small
two soup pots-medium
one sauce pan
my coveted convenience-my coffee maker (I knew I couldn't live without quick coffee in the AM)

we shop daily for fresh stuff- I got used to doing this after wasting too much food that won't keep on the boat; you are allowed to buy 2 bananas, it's ok. Buy indiviual rolls-loaves of bread don't last(they become swan food)

we indulge in spices, we keep all the little bottles in one ziplock bag

#5 KEEP EVERYTHING IN ZIPLOCK BAGS!!!!Clothes, toilet paper, paperwork, playing cards, cookies, tampons(yes they burst), EVERYTHING bags come in all sizes

#6 HAVE A SENSE OF HUMOR!!!!

#7 Enjoy yourself, the people, the wildlife, the environment, your vessel!!

Do it!

#26 ·
1: everything in its place, and a place for everything! It's more than a mantra
2: no hard luggage or other containers, you'll never find a place to put them, use duffel bags and soft tools bags
3: prepare for winter, i advise that you get a boat with 1/4" insulation above the H2O line, stay warm
4: washable wool blankets are great!
5: get to know all your liveaboard neighbors! Have them over for dinner.
6: put your music into iTunes, CD's take space
7: make sure you nav station is comfortable. It will be your workspace/office too
8: Umbrella is the most useless thing invented, get a good rain coat and hat
9: air tight containers are a must, humidity is always high, very high, if you have lived in Tampa, Mobil, N.O., or Houston, you know what to expect
10: if you haven't used it in that past year, throw it away

I've lived most of my life in small places, so the change to a boat was not that bad. I miss the small garden plot. Otherwise, it is great living aboard a boat. The aft cabin is usually the most comfortable for sleep, so if you can, get a boat with a nice aft cabin. Boat systems vary greatly, I don't know how to tell you what you should or shouldn't have, but they need to be logical... what is on AC vs DC, what alternate source of power, heat, gas, batt charging, refrig, fresh vs salt water, etc... read a few books and talk to others to see what works for them.

finally, bright work (wood on the exterior of the boat) looks great, but it requires maintenance! Nevertheless, it is better than mowing a lawn.

#30 ·
Necessary:

Heat. Even in Alabama and Florida heat is nice but farther north it is not optional. If your heat needs a cord to the dock you'll do less winter sailing.

Internet or at least the ability to get email on the go.

Nice to have:

A marina with nice washrooms, laundry, and showers. We are at boat parking lot right now and lack of services suck.

A car. It is great to have a car at the marina but there are work arounds.

Not needed:

Lots of tools. Sewing machine. No room for major projects once boat is in the water and we are living on it. Same with sewing machine. Of course those on larger boats would not have that problem.

TV but sure was nice when we were in an area that had TV.

The hardest is trying to live with one foot on land and one on the boat. It is easier to just live on board and not need or have land clothes and expenses.

I think the ideal situation is to have a house or home on land and a boat at the local dock. Easier to do projects on the boat and yet not have the boat so full of stuff that taking off for a day or two becomes a hassle. We can't afford that yet so on the boat it is.

#31 ·
1. Do not park the boat close to shore to get the dogs to the beach
2. Do not back up with the dingy tied behind
3. DO NOT put two stoke oil in a diesel engine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
4. Small boats are better because you might be able to afford the problems that will occur
5. If a boat has wood decks walk away
6. trying to knock a fish out with stove fuel is stupid
7. Surveyers dont know everything
8. Hiding booze on the boat is a good idea
9. Travel with someone who is as passionate as you are
10. Charts and GPS are not exact
11. People in motor boats are dangerous dont argue with them just anchor somewhere else

#33 ·
We have a 28 footer. Himself is mostly full time liveaboard. I come and go from the house. In five months we have worked out a few things here. As far as the butter issue goes we have a butter bell. You put water in the bottom of the base and turn the bell into the base so that the water is displaced up over the rim of the bell. The water keeps the butter sealed from outside molds and keeps it cooler than the ambient air. We stow it, along with the cheese and produce in an icebox, with no ice, that stays relatively cool. The butter keeps well for a week or more so long as you NEVER contaminate it.

#34 ·
It's easy to make ghee, too. Just simmer regular butter until the water portion boils off. If you cook it too long, the milk solids will start to brown which can be a lovely flavor on fish, especially with capers. Ghee can keep for months, I believe. I've never had it go bad, in any case. Personally, I like the taste even better than regular butter. Of course, cooking down hot grease in the galley should only be done when there is no risk of spilling it! (Keep a watch out for power boaters and the like.)

#38 ·
It is called clarified butter for a reason...leaving the milk solids in it means you skipped the clarifying step. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.