Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2009

PaulinVictoria is on a distinguished road
Indeed, but a PC that is capable of playing most of the current crop of games is also going to be a fairly big, heavy, noisy and hot beast.
Ultimately, get what can do what you want it to, but also remember where it has to live
Audio-wise, you aren't going to need a lot of volume and a home theatre amp is going to be waaay overkill I'd have thought. If you go down the PC route then why not get one with built in support for HD audio (i.e. a 5.1 or better still a 7.1) with the appropriate number of audio outs. You could then feed these to small self-powered speakers. OK it's never going to be great but then it's stuck in a boat, hardly the pinnacle of audio chambers!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-08-2009

tommays will become famous soon enough
Seriously i think the big issue will be getting it wet if you sail much on a 30' boat

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
Old 10-08-2009

MikeinLA is on a distinguished road
FWIW, my HP laptop has Blu-Ray as well as an HDMI Out port so I can output the video to my 26" widescreen TV. I also use an air-card to watch HULU or my home TV via Slingbox and output it to the TV too. Laptop was pretty cheap a year ago, no doubt cheaper now. My kid has played WOW on it with no problems, and he's picky about lag.

Mike
Old 10-08-2009

tager is on a distinguished road
Boooo! Tv Sucks!
Old 10-08-2009
Meat Popsicle

nailbunnySPU is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by tager View Post
Boooo! Tv Sucks!
I agree wholeheartedly. Movies and on-demand content, however..
Old 10-09-2009

scottyt is on a distinguished road
i use a laptop with powered computer speakers, feeding a mounted 15 inch computer screen. and a tv usb tuner that does digital tv. i can do split screen and surf the internet on the laptop screen while the tv is on the 15 inch monitor

i have decent sound, and switchable power draws. the wife also plugs her ipod into the computer speakers

the monitor draws less than 3 amps, the laptop can be on battery and the speakers dont draw much they came with a 12 volt 250 milli amp walwart.

the other nice thing is i can feed chart data to the bigger screen.

it works well for what i want and need
Old 10-14-2009
In Constant Motion

JeffBurright is on a distinguished road
If you already have a home theater setup mouldering away in a box, I'd say go with the cheap CPU approach. Although, I think the question really is whether you intend to use the theater while you're out cruising, or whether it's more a dock-side attraction. If it's the latter, I wouldn't worry about the amperage or dc vs. inverter question, since it sounds like any of your CPU or PS3 based solutions would draw a substantial amount of power anyway and you might as well just plug them into the dock.

If you intend to watch/play while out on the water though: 1) Are you nuts? You're in the wild blue yonder! ; and 2) I'd take the laptop route since it solves the DC problem for you and you could still game on it if you get one with a dedicated graphics card. Plus it's easier to stow.

For my 30'er, I actually got rid of an AC/DC tv/dvd player since it seemed too old fashioned for my purposes. Now I'm rocking an older dual-booted Imac with the stand cut off and mounted in the v-berth, so that I may blow my enemies into tiny bits (TF2 ftw) or curl up with Hulu while at the dock or via inverter in a pinch. I also picked up a netbook to do my casual work and surfing from the salon table, or to act as my chart plotter when I hook it up to the GPS. It works for me, but you may have grander ambitions. Good luck either way and let us know if you devise the perfect setup.
Old 10-14-2009
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffBurright View Post
Now I'm rocking an older dual-booted Imac with the stand cut off and mounted in the v-berth, so that I may blow my enemies into tiny bits (TF2 ftw) or curl up with Hulu while at the dock or via inverter in a pinch. I also picked up a netbook to do my casual work and surfing from the salon table, or to act as my chart plotter when I hook it up to the GPS. It works for me, but you may have grander ambitions. Good luck either way and let us know if you devise the perfect setup.
Dude - the iMac thing is kind of brilliant, I must say. Sweet.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 10-14-2009
In Constant Motion

JeffBurright is on a distinguished road
Thanks! It took up valuable real estate on my table for far too long (plus it was a PitA to stow for sailing) before I decided to hell with it and pulled out the hack saw. You gotta work with what you got though.

Old 10-17-2009

wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about
Nail,

I use a nano-ITX board w/ 12vdc power, works great, runs Linux just fine. The board I use is extremely low power, but they make them even lower, there is one nano-ITX board out there that is about 6 watts and doesn't even require a fan, it just has a heat sink, so you can hide it away in whatever enclosure you want to use. Simple enough to add IR sensors so you can use a remote control, though I have not actually done that (yet), high resolution video, enough to drive my display at 1280x1024, ether, etc. Combine it with a solid state drive and it is very, very hard to kill.

Edit, also, I would use an external drive, because the drive ends up using more power than the µP.

Edit #2, and I did manage to kill a power supply, but I have lots of radios and sensors hooked up to my µP so things like that happen sometimes. Now that I have installed reverse polarity protection on all of my circuits I hope I won't cause myself any more problems.

Edit #3, before you commit to a display, you might consider looking around, I found a display that is 12vdc with an external 120vac supply. I use a dc-to-dc converter for that and it works great, my entire setup is now 12vdc and doesn't require an inverter.

Please support my

Last edited by wind_magic; 10-17-2009 at 02:40 PM. Reason: addition