Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2009
Meat Popsicle

nailbunnySPU is on a distinguished road
liveaboard home theater

I've got a wild hair to get myself a state of the art home theater in my 30' boat. I've reached a number of dilemmas and i'd like to think aloud in hopes that one of you has solved a similar problem.

I want it to do hdmi 1.3, blu ray, 5.1 surround, 1080p. I'm looking for the best performing components at a sensible price, basically the opposite of what Bose puts out.

A standalone blu ray player won't do. I want streaming video and pirated stuff too. So my choices are narrowed down to a home theatre pc or a standalone player.

Among home theatre PCs, i'm considering either a mini itx box or a laptop. Mini itx is the smallest format for desktops that still performs reasonably, they have very low power draw and can run directly off DC, widely used in cars. The laptop would have to play blu ray, which eliminates macbooks. I'm not eager for the butthurt of routing cables for the desktop, but to hide the system beneath a settee and use wireless kb/mouse/wiimote would be pretty badass. I'm not eager for a loud/hot/heavy laptop, but i'd appreciate some rip-roaring gaming performance and portability. A standalone player would likely have to be part of a larger system, but could prove to be the most compact practical for movie watching.

Additional factors to complicate the matter is whether i should run it through the 12v system or 110v, and a good solution for monitor mounting that is durable and versatile.

My itx idea:
built in slow cpu: Newegg.com - ZOTAC IONITX-A-U Atom N330 1.6GHz Dual-Core 441 NVIDIA ION Mini ITX Motherboard/CPU Combo - Motherboard / CPU / VGA Combo
add your own power hog cpu: Newegg.com - ZOTAC GF9300-D-E LGA 775 NVIDIA GeForce 9300 HDMI Wi-Fi Mini ITX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

My laptop idea:
Newegg.com - ASUS N70 Series N70SV-X1 NoteBook Intel Core 2 Duo T9550(2.66GHz) 17.3" 4GB Memory 640GB HDD 7200rpm BD Combo NVIDIA GeForce GT 130M - Laptops / Notebooks

My standalone media player idea:
Amazon.com: Egreat EG-M34A Network Media Tank NMT 1080p HD H.264 MKV Player w/ HDMI 1.3: Electronics

I've also got an eye out for small speakers and a good display, although i suspect I'll likely use a 1900x1200 24" samsung display and a sweet hdmi 1.3 5.1 samsung home theatre in a box that i have from my dirt dwelling days. Only problem is the subwoofer is the size of a mini fridge, and i'm not sure if i can get away with a full size stereo receiver in a boat for space power and heat reasons.

So there's my mash of thoughts, please feel free to weigh in with your own ideas as how to approach this system.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-08-2009
Meat Popsicle

Oh and some feature creep on top of that... it would help if i could work a daylight readable pedestal mounted weatherproof touchscreen monitor into the deal
Old 10-08-2009

PaulinVictoria is on a distinguished road
The Samsung 3600 Blu-Ray player is networkable and plays back streaming media as well as stuff off a PC etc. Or better still, why not get a PS3 which will do pretty much everything including gaming and won't need rebuilding/upgrading every few months like a PC?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-08-2009

night0wl is on a distinguished road
Really?

Its a 30' boat, not a 200 sq. ft. vacation condo! I get that you live-aboard, but the question is why? Most people do it to get away...do you really need to keep up with the joneses on your boat?

Last edited by night0wl; 10-08-2009 at 11:09 AM.
Old 10-08-2009
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
night - dude - have you SEEN the Joneses sweet set up??? They rock the freakin' marina, baybay! Crunk juice slammers and mast dances 'til 2 am.

I'm still trying to figure out some nice magenta "ground effect" and pimpy hydraulics for the Smacktanic.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 10-08-2009
Meat Popsicle

Per justification, It's my priorities. I live aboard because it's a cheap way to live without roommates in a great neighborhood and it doesn't hurt that I love sailing. I am also heavily technical in carreer and personal life. If I'm tied up all the time and watching the daily show on a stuttering feed on a netbook, that ain't living, and if I'm getting a TV i'm not going to run up an antenna for some g-d major network reality show b-s. In my life there are music, movies and games and as long as I don't have the funds to spend my time cruising, I feel it's reasonable to have the means to entertain myself and my guests. And if i spend money, it makes sense to go as future-proof as possible with lossless audio, hd picture and modular design. Not to mention i already have a home theater in a box mouldering away in storage until I get this sorted out.

The expendature is actually quite reasonable, a computer would likely serve multiple simultaneous roles in the way that computers do and any equipment for on-demand video are small one-time expenses especially taking into account that I'm not paying for cable tv.

Per keeping up with the joneses, if you knew me you'd know how ridiculous and insulting that suggestion is. I buy objects for their function and revel in forgoing extraneous expenses that are mandated by convention.

Hopefully I have satisfied urges to question my desires and we can get down to discussing equipment.
Old 10-08-2009
Meat Popsicle

Oh and regarding a PS3, that is an astute suggestion. We may as well make it option 4.

You likely suggested it because it does handle blu ray and hdmi 1.3 and wireless kb/mice and even has some basic computer ability.

The thing that interests me the most about it is that one can install linux on it and use it as an actual computer. I have actually gone as far as to install a nintendo wii remote on a sony ps3 with the magic of linux and bluetooth. The one buzzkill is that the graphics drivers have not caught up and it cannot run the most basic games in linux and I'm not very enthused about shelling out the big bucks for lots of games, especially when FPS games that I occasionally play are ALWAYS better on pc.

Other detriments to the PS3 is it's actually the largest of the four options, can get quite hot, and the fan is quite fantastically loud, problems that would all be exacerbated in such a small space. Perhaps I could make some sort of container to keep it out of sight or stow it somewhere unlikely, the wireless controllers allow for flexibility. You got me thinking, I like that.
Old 10-08-2009
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
nail - I don't know about nightowl - but I was just joking. It's your boat and your home - I agree that you should do whatever you want to with it.

I have my current home theatre set-up through a Mac mini - with an iTV setup. It's really pretty awesome for TV, DVD w/5.1, music, web, etc. - but I am bummed that they don't have the Blu-Ray technology yet.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 10-08-2009

PaulinVictoria is on a distinguished road
Yep, the PS3 is a pretty versatile beast and always worth considering. You are right, they are fairly big and can run hot and loud, but I think that problem was mostly fixed in the later versions, and completely in the new slimline version. The downside of the slim one though is apparently you now can't do the linux install on it anymore, whether that will inspire people to actually get proper graphic support on the older ones now remains to be seen or indeed if someone ends up getting linux on a slimline. I think the mouse/kb with a PS3 goes quite a way to challenging the PC in the FPS genre too, agreed it's nowhere near them when using a standard gaming controller though.

Old 10-08-2009
Meat Popsicle

The difference between team fortress 2 on ps3 and pc is a case study in the dichotomy. Valve has effectively cut off support for the ps3 port and meanwhile the pc users have been showered with a bonanza of updates and add-ons.

Let me be clear, I was a heavy ps3 player when I had a roommate with one and the xbox and wii are no contest, but for what I do i could take it or leave it.