Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2009
Victim of Circumstance

nonpartisanartisan is on a distinguished road
First Liveaboard

For a first liveaboard, considering that after living in a house that feels like a barn I have all the questions that have been answered but not to the points that make me feel "comfortable" about the decision.

Seeing as what would drive me to this is a costly divorce from a costly spouse you can assume anything over $100k is "out of reach."

I've read stories of people forking out $50k in a refit which is likely for most boats I can afford. After all, '89 seems to be about the newest that look "in reach" and a 20 year old boat is likely to need a refit - am I right?

The Beneteau and Whitby yachts (about 42' LOA) look roomy enough and stable enough for the Great Lakes, buth the Whitby was built before I hit puberty.

A Hughes 38, like a 36' Morgan, looks affordable but are they cramped? Do they sail well? Are they cheap? (a 35' C&C costs about 50% more.)

The question is "can you have guests sleep over?" This happens because certainly my daughter may pay a visit, or some friends.

The conflict comes from the multiple voices in my head - conflicting desires. My background involves sailing nothing larger than a Tanzer 26 and mostly just a few dinks.

One voice says get the CC, a boat I love to sail or you will never leave the dock, something I can sail alone because you can't assume the person you are with loves to sail. The voice of passion and adventure.

Another voice says get the Beneteau or the Whitby because you live in the boat 24/7 but only sail 7/24. There is also some sense that says "you need a real fridge." I like simple but love my bike & the idea of having my own transport when I make landfall. (My mountain bike can fit a 26"x29"x13" box.) The trinkets and trash I cannot live without are the cell phone, some art supplies, a dozen books, a guitar, harmonica, microwave oven. Is this all too much?

Is there a boat that meets the challenge - that can be fun when sailed alone, be large enough for guests to stay in comfort allowing me privacy, carry the trinkets and trash that I cannot live without and not break my back?

How much money is paid for a refit of a 20 or 30 year boat? Is a 30 year old boat strong enough for a Great Lakes storm?

Wintering in a boat in Toronto in the winter is a different topic altogether.

- Ron
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-02-2009

CrazyRu is on a distinguished road
Friend of mine bought 1986 Freedom 36 in bristol condition for less than 3/4 of your budget at beginning of the season. It is huge 36 footer, it can sleep two couples in two separate cabins, and have a room for another couple and a kid in main salon. The boat has every possible system, including freezer and heater, has a locker to put two bikes and a dingy in. Boat is designed for single handling, it is extremely easy to sail and it is not a slow boat. Very nice interior, high quality construction, very good boat overall...

The only repair he has done to the boat - replaced jib stay (the only wire in the design)
He told me that he wanted to do something with the boat but he can not find a place on a boat to plant his energy.

There are many boats which fit your need. You can find O'Day 37, plain, but robust for $35000....

Last edited by CrazyRu; 11-02-2009 at 10:23 PM.
Old 11-03-2009

tager is on a distinguished road
Dude. I live on a 24'. You are not even borderline ridiculous, because I used to live on a 22'. Didn't even have sitting headroom on that one. However, I would recommend full standing headroom. Full standing headroom is one thing that really makes life a lot easier. So put your minimum boat at full standing headroom, get rid of your stuff, and you will have plenty of money to go sailing, or find a job you enjoy, or just have money to invest and not feel the pressure to make more to survive. I would say that 27' would be ideal for me.