SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Living Aboard (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/living-aboard/)
-   -   Looking for a cheap safe spot in South fl. area to leave boat on the hard (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/living-aboard/59491-looking-cheap-safe-spot-south-fl-area-leave-boat-hard.html)

milos 11-03-2009 04:05 AM

Looking for a cheap safe spot in South fl. area to leave boat on the hard
 
Hi everibody! we are a couple of Med sailors and are planning to buy a small blue water boat in Miami area around mid december, than cruise the Bahamas and leave the boat (from march to dec 2010) on the hard to some hurricane-safe place, secure but not fancy.

We would be grateful to have info from fellow cruisers and sailors about any friendly (price wise) marinas/yards in the area and current prices of those marinas or links to their websites, if any....

...this is the time of the year we usually become envious of US and Canada sailors...:) you just have to move South...

Lots of thanks in advance for any help on this, and ready to exchange the same for Med areas we know.

Cheers

Marc

xsboats 11-03-2009 07:44 AM

If you look a little further north , like Ft. Pierce or Titusville, you will find that the boatyard prices will drop. Go to the ActiveCaptain website for contact info on boatyards and marinas. Then post again asking peoples opinions on a few that you are looking at.

CrazyRu 11-03-2009 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milos (Post 537989)
Hi everibody! we are a couple of Med sailors and are planning to buy a small blue water boat in Miami area around mid december, than cruise the Bahamas and leave the boat (from march to dec 2010) on the hard to some hurricane-safe place, secure but not fancy.


Marc


There are half dozen marinas, located deep inland on Okeechobee waterway.
While transiting the area last year I noticed reasonable storage prices there and it looks like the area is well protected from hurricanes...

quick googling found this article
BoatUS Cruising Logs

However, Florida is expensive and marinas are filled, if you go either north to North Carolina or west to Texas, you'll find more and more reasonable prices and more spaces to park a boat. Cruising USA waters is fun too :)

milos 11-07-2009 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xsboats (Post 538015)
If you look a little further north , like Ft. Pierce or Titusville, you will find that the boatyard prices will drop. Go to the ActiveCaptain website for contact info on boatyards and marinas. Then post again asking peoples opinions on a few that you are looking at.

Thank you so much. I'll check it up...

milos 11-07-2009 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrazyRu (Post 538025)
There are half dozen marinas, located deep inland on Okeechobee waterway.
While transiting the area last year I noticed reasonable storage prices there and it looks like the area is well protected from hurricanes...

quick googling found this article
BoatUS Cruising Logs

However, Florida is expensive and marinas are filled, if you go either north to North Carolina or west to Texas, you'll find more and more reasonable prices and more spaces to park a boat. Cruising USA waters is fun too :)

I'll check that area and the web site, thanks

I'm quite sure it's a lot of fun, but really, we want to escape from the winter, and nc sounds a bit chilly to us...may be Texas a little warmer? ...thing is, last year we were at Bahamas on a friend's boat, and it was mainly sweater weather....of course it was great, but we wouldn't go cooler than that....:)

TQA 11-28-2009 07:15 AM

This is the place you want. It is far enough inland to avoid the worst winds if a hurricane strikes. I left my boat there one summer while I explored the US in a camper. Run well by good people. Also they are happy with DIY and liveaboard which is RARE in Florida. Rates are fair - a lot less than the coastal ones.

Indiantown Marina, Indiantown, Florida, Martin County, St. Lucie Waterway, Lake Okeechobee, Hurricane Hideaway, Boating

Blowfish 11-28-2009 01:23 PM

don't forget the bridge
 
Just remember there is a 49' bridge you have to be able to clear coming from the atlantic side. Don't know if you need to clear it to get to indiantown

Vasco 11-28-2009 01:48 PM

"Looking for a cheap safe spot in South fl. area to leave boat on the hard"

Sorry, but cheap, safe and S. Florida just don't go together. If you want cheap storage you have to go at least up to the lower Chesapeake. Safer up there too.

jrd22 11-28-2009 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vasco (Post 546309)
"Looking for a cheap safe spot in South fl. area to leave boat on the hard"

Sorry, but cheap, safe and S. Florida just don't go together.

:laugher :laugher I was going to say the same thing.

joethecobbler 11-28-2009 08:23 PM

what do you call cheap?
check out the glades boat Storage yard, just google it.
it's like $100-200 a month to store on the hard 40-50" unless it's gone up the last 2-3 years .
the 49' rail bridge is on the east side of the lake just after clearing the lock.
Indian town is further east. Sp, if your coming from the atlantic your height is not an issue.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:10 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
(c) Marine.com LLC 2000-2012