SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Living Aboard (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/living-aboard/)
-   -   The liveaboard tips and tricks thread! (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/living-aboard/59796-liveaboard-tips-tricks-thread.html)

wind_magic 11-13-2009 10:26 PM

The liveaboard tips and tricks thread!

New thread just for tips and ideas for making life easier on the boat, show everyone how brilliant you are with unique and interesting ways of doing things! I really enjoy hearing about the creative ways other people make their lives better and easier.

I'll start with a simple one ...

Cork board, I don't know why I didn't think of it sooner. Cut and nail cork board near the nav station so there is a convenient place to stick push pins. Simple, wish I had thought of it a long time ago!

TQA 11-14-2009 07:46 PM

Use a small presssure cooker. It cooks things quickly and more importantly you are much less likely to have a major spill and risk of severe burns if it comes off the stove.

wind_magic 11-14-2009 10:14 PM

When you are finished washing clothes, divide them up into shirts, pants, etc, then lay the shirts out in a row overlapping each other like a deck of cards that has been slid out across a table. Then starting at the end that is beneath the others, roll the shirts up into one big roll and put them in a drawstring wet bag. Do the same with underwear, pants, etc. Clothes are much easier to store this way and because they are rolled up don't get many wrinkles.

tager 11-15-2009 02:26 AM

Whatever it is, buy the smallest one.

SVPrairieRose 11-15-2009 04:22 AM

If you cant remember the last time you used it... get rid of it.

CaptainForce 11-15-2009 06:32 AM

Use a mail service. This allows you the ease to change marinas or cruise and recive mail. It also removes you from the indicator of the liveaboard status that some marinas don't favor. We use St. Brendans Isle, but there are many others. 'take care and joy, Aythya crew

theartfuldodger 11-15-2009 06:34 AM

This suggestion is not mine but read of it a while back and use it now, we've taken our extra towels and bedding made pillows out of them for our bedroom and have save a great deal of space. We put them in a pillow case.

wind_magic 11-15-2009 06:45 AM

When you need to label something, write on it with a marker and then cover it with your woman's clear fingernail polish. Colored fingernail polish is also very good for marking wires, and you can use bands of color in a pattern to uniquely label both ends of a wire so you can figure out where the other end of it is.

pdqaltair 11-15-2009 07:45 AM

Use cup full of soapy water to collect bugs from the ceiling.

I lifted this idea from a book, but it is unbelievably effect, so I must share it.

Sail Delmarva: Search results for pests

No more squashed bugs on the ceiling.

wind_magic 11-20-2009 03:51 AM

Looking for 12vdc gadgets like fans, cup heaters, and other assorted weird stuff ? Even more interesting, are you looking for a source of inexpensive LED lights that work off of 12vdc ? Look no further than a large truck stop where they have all the lights and things a boater could want, at inexpensive prices. Most of the lights that truckers mount on their trucks for ornamental reasons are bright enough to read by. The last truck stop I was at had aisles of lights, radios, 12vdc vacuum cleaners, 12vdc cabling and electrical supplies, etc.