Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2009

wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about
Smile The liveaboard tips and tricks thread!

New thread just for tips and ideas for making life easier on the boat, show everyone how brilliant you are with unique and interesting ways of doing things! I really enjoy hearing about the creative ways other people make their lives better and easier.

I'll start with a simple one ...

Cork board, I don't know why I didn't think of it sooner. Cut and nail cork board near the nav station so there is a convenient place to stick push pins. Simple, wish I had thought of it a long time ago!

Please support my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 11-14-2009
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road
Use a small presssure cooker. It cooks things quickly and more importantly you are much less likely to have a major spill and risk of severe burns if it comes off the stove.
Old 11-14-2009

wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about
When you are finished washing clothes, divide them up into shirts, pants, etc, then lay the shirts out in a row overlapping each other like a deck of cards that has been slid out across a table. Then starting at the end that is beneath the others, roll the shirts up into one big roll and put them in a drawstring wet bag. Do the same with underwear, pants, etc. Clothes are much easier to store this way and because they are rolled up don't get many wrinkles.

Please support my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-15-2009

tager is on a distinguished road
Whatever it is, buy the smallest one.
Old 11-15-2009

SVPrairieRose is on a distinguished road
If you cant remember the last time you used it... get rid of it.
Old 11-15-2009

CaptainForce will become famous soon enough
Use a mail service. This allows you the ease to change marinas or cruise and recive mail. It also removes you from the indicator of the liveaboard status that some marinas don't favor. We use St. Brendans Isle, but there are many others. 'take care and joy, Aythya crew
Old 11-15-2009

theartfuldodger is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to theartfuldodger
This suggestion is not mine but read of it a while back and use it now, we've taken our extra towels and bedding made pillows out of them for our bedroom and have save a great deal of space. We put them in a pillow case.
Old 11-15-2009

When you need to label something, write on it with a marker and then cover it with your woman's clear fingernail polish. Colored fingernail polish is also very good for marking wires, and you can use bands of color in a pattern to uniquely label both ends of a wire so you can figure out where the other end of it is.

Please support my
Old 11-15-2009

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road
Use cup full of soapy water to collect bugs from the ceiling.

I lifted this idea from a book, but it is unbelievably effect, so I must share it.

Sail Delmarva: Search results for pests

No more squashed bugs on the ceiling.

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

Old 11-20-2009

Looking for 12vdc gadgets like fans, cup heaters, and other assorted weird stuff ? Even more interesting, are you looking for a source of inexpensive LED lights that work off of 12vdc ? Look no further than a large truck stop where they have all the lights and things a boater could want, at inexpensive prices. Most of the lights that truckers mount on their trucks for ornamental reasons are bright enough to read by. The last truck stop I was at had aisles of lights, radios, 12vdc vacuum cleaners, 12vdc cabling and electrical supplies, etc.

Please support my

Last edited by wind_magic; 11-20-2009 at 03:54 AM. Reason: sp

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.