Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2003

robw_fl is on a distinguished road
Morgan OI41 opinions?

I''m looking for opinions (of which I know there are many!) regarding the Morgan OI 41. First, I''m looking at the boats ranging from 1974 to 1977 (When Charley was making them, and also what seems to be defined my price range)
I''ve been doing a lot of research and have found quite a few people commenting on their sailling ability, both positive and negative, etc...some structural stuff, and liveability.
I''m planning on living aboard, going for week-long cruises around the W. Coast of FL , chartering it occasionally and eventually heading over to the Bahamas for a while. I''m not overly concerned with the "look" and to tell the truth, I don''t mind it actually. I also don''t mind motoring to windward if I have to. And from what I understand, they''re actually not slow boats from a beam to a broad reach, or downwind.
Just looking for opinions to support or refute, from those with experience on these particular boats. Any info is welcome...thanks in advance,
Rob Welling
S/V Barefoot Girl
Sarasota, FL
BTW, Barefoot Girl (1969 Morgan 33 Classic - not the OI) is up for sale - 19K. Anyone interested, drop me an e-mail robw_fl@yahoo.com
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-15-2003

Tinawburgess is on a distinguished road
Morgan OI41 opinions?

Hi

Geoff and I bought our Outisland 416 last July and sailed her from Cape Caneveral back across the Atlantic to England via Bermuda and the Azores.

We encountered the tail end of hurrican Arthur, had a few rough days but the boat handled everything that was thrown at her without any problems.

I would thoroughly recommend this boat to anyone who is looking for a great boat that will look after you at sea and plenty of room for live-aboard as we do here in England.

We will be bringing her back across the pond after a tour round the Med.

Hope you enjoy whatever boat you eventually end up with.

Kind regards

Geoff and Tina Burgess
Old 01-15-2003

robw_fl is on a distinguished road
Morgan OI41 opinions?

Geoff & tina,

Thanks for the reply. Glad you had a safe trip, and I hope you enjoy your stay over in the Med. Probably hard not to! Good to hear that the boat handled well in some less than perfect conditions. I''m planning more coastal cruising with a few 2 or 3 day passages, but that doesn''t mean it can''t get a little sketchy on occasion, eh? This was helpful (and comforting) info.

Thanks again,

Rob.