SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Living Aboard (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/living-aboard/)
-   -   Dinghy Theft (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/living-aboard/61023-dinghy-theft.html)

tager 01-03-2010 05:43 PM

Dinghy Theft

mgmhead 01-03-2010 06:00 PM

Suggest you call the police...they'll sort it out.

AdamLein 01-03-2010 07:27 PM

Agreed... call the police. Worst that can happen is they tell you to do something else.

How do you know your landlord drove off with it in the back of his truck if you weren't there?

tager 01-04-2010 12:03 AM

Dinghy Theft

krozet 01-04-2010 01:48 AM

Document all the time that you have spent on the phone with him, with a lawyer... When you file in small claims court add in some money for punitive damages. Punitive damages may be awarded only if defendant's conduct was malicious, or in reckless disregard of plaintiff's rights. Clearly the defendant disregarded you're rights. People like this need to be taught a lesson that the world is not theirs to do whatever they want. Like it or not you have to play nice with others.

NCC320 01-04-2010 08:41 AM

A different take....

If the land owner asked you to get your property off his property, you should have done so. (It's not clear how he is your landloard if the pier/slip are leased from the city). You can't just go dumping stuff (or storing) stuff on other people's property. Apparently this has become a sore spot for both of you. By your account, the value is only $250, so before you get hot and start to file police reports and taking people to court, think a bit about unintended cosequences. If you get into a position where you have to get lawyers, courts, etc. involved, you are going to spend more than $250 if not careful. If the dinghy was on his property and he asked you to move it, why didn't you move it.

tager 01-05-2010 12:45 PM

krozet 01-05-2010 02:47 PM

I am a bit confused... It doesn't sound like he 'impounded' it, there was no notice or anything and from the sounds of it when you called he never mentioned an impound. It sounds like he stole it. It didn't end up at a dump or disposed of, it sounds like it ended up in his 'Garage'.

If my neighbor's kid leaves their bike on my side lawn (between the two houses) and I ask them to stop doing that can I then over a month later take the bike if it happens again? No!

He should be writing an apology letter to you for stealing you're property... But I digress, the situation was resolved...

tager 01-05-2010 03:46 PM

CoastalEddie 01-05-2010 04:16 PM

Your rental agreement should clearly delineate your "leased space." If you stored your dinghy outside of that space, you were in violation of the terms of your lease. Could your "landlord" have handled the situation in a better fashion? Sure. But, by the same token, you could have prevented the whole mess by making sure that your dink was properly stored, especially after your had been put on notice that there was a problem. Cooperation (e.g., "proper behavior in any society") is a two-way street.