Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2010

Tanley is on a distinguished road
What do you do during repairs?

We're just daysailors/weekenders, but who doesn't entertain the thought of living on a boat full time?

It got me to thinking, if you live on your boat, what do you do when it has to be hauled for larger maintenance items and repairs? Do you stay with friends, a hotel, climb up and down a ladder on the hard?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-11-2010

xsboats is on a distinguished road
I always get a motel room. I never want to sleep on my boat while it's torn up, covered with dust, and on my mind while I'm trying to sleep. I've always factored the cost of the room into my expectations of cost for the haul out.
Old 01-11-2010
Banned

eryka is on a distinguished road
We usually do lots of projects while hauled out, so living aboard (with a ladder) is the most practical because it keeps us near the boat. When I first heard a boat-savvy friend use the phrase “on the hard” I had all these poetic romantic thoughts about how static and unyielding land is compared to the restless ever-changing ocean. Now that we live aboard, when we’re hauled for maintenance, the phrase “fish out of water” seems a lot more apt. I think “on the hard” just describes what life is like when you live on a boat that’s temporarily out of its native element. Life on the hard is, well … hard … as living aboard begins to resemble camping out. First there’s the climbing a ladder to come aboard. It’s interesting to be eye level with the trees, and it’s a new perspective to look down from the cockpit and see the tops of our cars parked just behind the boat. That’s about where the fun ends, though. It seems like just a few posts ago I was smugly pointing out how we conserve water by using seawater to flush. And how seawater also cools our refrigerator system, and air conditioning. Mmmm, right. No seawater up here. So bathroom, refrigerator, and A/C are replaced by older, simpler solutions -- bucket, ice blocks, and wishful thinking. When we had a dog, we even hauled her up and down using a bosun's chair.
Old 01-11-2010

CaptainForce will become famous soon enough
During the 38 years that we have lived aboard, "on the hard" for repair or maintenance only accounts for a total of about three months at a common term of four or five days. We've done stays with friends, family, or motels, but more often we stay aboard and climb the ladder.
Old 01-11-2010

sailor50 is on a distinguished road
Once you liveaboard, : "SHE" is your home. Imagine dust boogers, acne, yard dirt and the yard dog coming at you. Multiply this by trying to get groceries aboard while your partner is saying the cost of the "motel/hotel" is cutting into the additional electronics budget.
Old 01-12-2010
Vagabond in Training

Livia is on a distinguished road
We have lived aboard during haul-outs but we are going to be hauled out at a place where we won't be able to live this May so we are going to stay at a friend's apartment.

I found climbing up and down the ladder unnerving and I swear I can feel the slight flexing of the hull when it is windy, but obviously if the stilts can keep a 16,000lb boat stable in the wind, then my body weight isn't going to change things.

We also liveaboard during all of our major in-water repairs which are usually more disruptive. We usually haul out to do exterior/hull work and so our cockpit gets full as we empty lazarettes or access the engine but our living space is relatively normal.

However, when we decide to work on interior varnish, or plumbing, or electricity...then we are trying to eat/sleep/shower right in the middle of the project.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
//
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
//
Old 01-12-2010
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Another factor may be (at least in our area) some yards don't allow anyone in the yard outside their business hours, or overnight...

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 01-12-2010

CaptainForce will become famous soon enough
There are specific locations on the US East Coast that are yards where large numbers of liveaboard cruisers haul out and liveaboard during DIY and contracted repairs. Three of these are Deltaville Marine on Jackson Creek in Deltaville, Va; Green Cove Springs Marina on the St. Johns River, Florida; and Westland Marine in the Titusville Yacht Basin, Titusville, Florida. 'take care and joy, Aythya crew
Old 01-13-2010

Danny33 is on a distinguished road
Pull a power cord over the rail and use a ladder in and out !
Old 01-14-2010

Architeuthis is on a distinguished road
It is one of the bigger issues so good forethought.

Turns out it is a real problem. The best solution we found was to rent a condo in the area. That was great we had a vacation condo on the Gulf of Mexico, fantastic beach, all the luxuries......and then every morning we would get up and drive to the yard where we spent all day working like dogs! It was also expensive for the two months we had the condo but the days off really were great, loved that part.

OF course that is not really a good option due to expense. We have found a yard in Bellingham that lets us stay aboard. Thats a great idea and good security, the best really if you are just painting the bottom or something like that.

Otherwise staying on board and working on the boat is not good for us. Our boat is small and doing anything results in everything being upset and taking 10x longer, maybe more than 10x longer.

I'm still installing a heater, it has now been months. It would normally take me a weekend, maybe two. If the boat was in my back yard near my garage or shed it would be simple but living on the boat means you can't just rip things apart, particularly when someone else is using the boat for their work or study. Living aboard is also time consuming, particlualry when the marina has no showers, laundry, food or other services that save time. We even have to haul water and that takes more time than it sounds. Buying bits and pieces and tools locally is crazy expensive, easily adding 10% extra to the overall cost but the other option is even more delay.

So best plan is to own the boat for a few years before moving aboard (we couldn't afford that but still recommend it). Get all the big jobs done, all the jobs that need tools or lots of supplies. Spend enough time on the boat to figure out what those jobs are, like maybe a heater for when it is below freezing and fancy electronics for when fog rolls into the shipping lane you are in.

Then when you get the boat pulled once a year or so there is little work to do and you can handle staying on the boat for the night, or afford a motel and the car rental.
Have faith that the oceans are going to rise and flood the world, that plague and pestilence brought on by Climate Change is going to punish us for not believing. Please do as they say it is our only hope. :P

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.