Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2010

wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about
I agree with kd3pc. If you're bleeding all over the place, it is great to hope tomorrow is going to be better than today, but it is also helpful to stop the bleeding. If you aren't working, yeah, things are going to eventually turn around, but you have to cut your expenses now before you and your family end up sleeping under a bridge.

That said, I don't think a boat is the best way to do that, a much better way is to go and stay with relatives, especially if you have children.

Please support my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-20-2010

tager is on a distinguished road
Buy a beat up 27, get moorage in the city, and live aboard. This will probably cost you at least $3000 to start and $500 a month. Then you will need to get a job. This is easy if you aren't picky... You will probably be destitute, but you will get to enjoy life on the water. That's about what I am doing. Just remember, just because it isn't conventional doesn't mean it isn't good.

Don't get steamrolled by norms. You don't have to live in a house and pay a mortgage. In fact, living on a boat can save you a lot of money which you can use later to buy a house or whatever.

We are all born
Old 03-23-2010

JamyZ is on a distinguished road
yep..get the boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by kd3pc View Post

Get the boat, hold your family close and I will tell you that the stress will be far less than the unknown of waiting and watching what cash you have flow out while "waiting" for things (totally out of your control) to get better.
I agree... Regardless of obstacles to overcome, why not learn something new, experience, love - laugh - cry together and live a little for a change. Of course owning a box on a patch of grass and seeing the same things day after day hoping for better while time passes you by is still an option. Just stay inside and forget the ocean until you gain sail experience and can accept the possibility of loosing your boat.

Last edited by JamyZ; 03-23-2010 at 12:05 PM.
Old 03-23-2010
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough
Curious...

ALL four of Monark's posts were on January 18, 2010... I wonder where she is now, and what happened...
Old 03-23-2010

thesnort is on a distinguished road
There's a lot to be said for a catamaran at dockside or on a mooring. While monohulls can act like weebles, the "ride" in a catamaran is on the level.
Old 03-24-2010

JamyZ is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by eherlihy View Post
Curious...

ALL four of Monark's posts were on January 18, 2010... I wonder where she is now, and what happened...
don't know...some people never make that jump. hope it all works out for her and her family...
Old 04-07-2010
captain mike

capt13 is on a distinguished road
I agree with Tager 100% Take the chance, and go for it that's what I did many moons ago, and I have never looked back.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.