SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Oh My, job loss, lifestyle change & living aboard

8K views 26 replies 16 participants last post by  capt13 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone,
I'm Karen and I'm new here and am seeking some advice. We have encountered a lifestyle change as a result of my husband being laid off from his long term job,actually the job loss has been somewhat of a blessing, we have had to reevaluate the way we live and have been downsizing and living much, much more simply, although we lived fairly simply before this. I've been a stay at home, homeschooling mom for the last 6 yrs. to our youngest son 13 yr. old Dylan.

Living on one income was a challenge to begin with, no more new cars and keeping up with the maintenance on both of our cars that have well over 200,000 miles now.

So then came the job loss, prospects are slim, but you know we are feeling strongly about not going back to a life of factory work. A "daily grind" so to speak.

We are a year out from floating our mortgage on our savings account, when the savings is done we are done.Selling our home of 16 yrs shouldn't be a problem and would give us the money to buy a boat.

In comes the sailboat idea, been reading a lot about living aboard, and it sounds like a very good solution,I'd rather live on a boat then in a cardboard box :)

But here is also where I am with all of this, We live in Missouri, I've been on a boat on the ocean once , deep sea fishing, years ago and man oh man did I get sick:puke

My biggest concern is seasickness for me, for my husband and son who have never been on the ocean in a boat. But there are so many people who sail do any of them get sick and what do they do, on a rocking boat, on the ocean, docked or cruising ? I have an image of us buying a sailboat and all of us hanging over the edge barfing our guts out,Ewwwww.

And my one other concern that I can think of is being on land all his life can a 13 yr. old (almost 14) adjust to life on a boat? smaller spaces and what about when he wants to get his drivers license, job and the like?I should probably know all the answers to these questions. I haven't been able to find much information about teenagers living aboard.

I have to tell you that cruising around Florida or even the world almost makes me giddy, love tropical warm places.

For a job we would just have to stop here and there and work, somewhat nomadic I know but OK with us as long as we are together. I have 2 adult children and 4 very young grandchildren and would miss them so much.My husband and I are young yet, I'm 42 and he is 45 so physically I know we could do this and I am an adventurer myself, having grown up on a large farm here, doing edgy things was my middle name, jumping out of barn lofts , scaling large trees(my version of climbing Mt. Everest),fending off gnarly pigs and mad cows, whooooo hoooooo Oh that sounds almost exciting :D , well it was as a child but now I think I feel up to more adult adventures.

I'm certainly not oblivious to the fact it would take some adjustment and may not be the easiest at first but it seems like all the folks who have done this have been extremely happy they did.

And things seem to keep pointing us in that direction, I am waiting for that one last nudge, that sign, that pushes us over the edge, out of fear, and into freedom. freedom from daily life on land and trying to keep our heads above water.

Unless of course we win the lottery and I have my big, beautiful, sailboat, named "Momentum" and our gorgeous, tropical, secluded, ocean front, Island home. Now wouldn't that be the icing on the cake. ;)

~Karen

Thank you for any and all comments or support you may have in helping us in whatever direction we decide to go.

See less See more
#2 ·
Karen

We had just settled on our boat the week before the bottom fell out of the financial markets. Within a few weeks I had lost my job, technology jobs are very hard to come by, and at my age, nigh impossible.

We immediately put the house, the lot, and the boat up for sale. Not a single offer on anything in over a year, even though we dropped prices through the floor.

We lived on the boat, as it is much cheaper utilities, most of last year and finally rented the house a month ago.

I tell my employed friends to save, cut back and save some more....all on deaf ears. You can not put the brakes on fast enough to shed the debt you will need to shed, we are still struggling. No savings, nothing left.

We are hoping to keep the boat at all costs, as we can easily live aboard and have done so.

To your point...many questions remain, and I am not sure that I could encourage your buying a boat until you answer these questions honestly and you can get your husband to do so as well.

It is not a fairy tale, and is flat hard at times.

You and your family will be living in extremely close quarters, with minimal privacy - my wife and I call it virtual privacy...

Boat systems are notoriously finicky and fail at the worst time...you will need to be very handy, learn to do without or PAY someone else to fix things.

It will still cost money to slip, live and repair the boat. In my part of the Bay, slips run about $3K a year - payable quarterly. Then you will at least pay metered electricity and a liveaboard fee..about $50 and $150 respectively, monthly.

You will still need to deal with water on board, pump outs of sewage/holding tank and other things that are just there and work silently on land.

I would not worry about being sea sick, it happens to us all at one time or another. On my Beneteau, my wife got green every time she sat below at the dock. Never when we were moving...on the Hunter we have now..not been sick.

Is it worth it? For us an unqualified yes. YOu get to see, feel and hear things others only read about. Whether it is the stars at night or a heron walking the dock 2' in front of you. It always changes. The people are and have been wonderful. The challenges are many, but the rewards immense.

For us, the simple life is great, and when we get the kid through two more years of college, I think we will even make it.

What will it take...
sell the house at what you can, and never look back or revisit the decision again...many can not do this and the blame eats them up for ever.
no eating out, we have had two meals out since last Thanksgiving (both while visiting the families over the holidays) learn to cook now, and plan to while on the boat. You will need to learn to live with a very small refridge/freezer no matter what boat you decide on.

This is too long now, so think about this and what the others will post. It is a lifestyle change ...and one that is well worth it.

Settling for the boat you NEED, not the one you want.

#3 ·
Karen,

Welcome to Sailnet!

Re: Seasickness -- Sailboats are generally speaking more forgiving on the stomach than powerboats. So there may be hope for you. Also, in addition to the lessening of symptoms that usually comes from acclimation, there are medicinal remedies as well. But everyone is different, so there's no predicting whether you or your family members will be afflicted at all or to what extent. You'll have to find out.

A much bigger concern in your case is that you are considering a huge lifestyle change without knowing much or anything about sailing. Sailing is a wonderful pursuit, but it is not one that provides instant gratification to novices. In other words, it's not entirely realistic to think that someone can just sell their house, go buy a boat, and sail away into the the yonder. That could be the recipe for a very unhappy outcome.

I would suggest that you take some baby steps first, to see whether this is for you. Some sailing lessons in daysailers on a local lake would be a good place to start. From there, you can work up to larger boats, and perhaps charter a cruising boat for a family vacation. That would give you a good taste of the lifestyle and what it entails, before jumping in with two feet. Maybe it will be everything you hoped and dreamed for -- here's hoping that's the case. But, if not, you might just avoid a costly mistake.

Best of luck!

#4 ·
Hi Karen,

You have already received some great replies (esp. kd3pc), so I will keep mine short.

These are hard times, and you're not alone in wondering about the future. See the Market Crash - are we there yet thread for more on the situation, and inciteful replies to where we're heading.

You mention that you are up to the challenge of living aboard. How does your husband feel? How about your 13 year old son? Realize that living on a sailboat will make you all much more, uh, "intimate":rolleyes:. You all have to be committed to the decision, and the lifestyle, in order to make it work.

Assuming that you actually want to sail somewhere, while I admire your spirit, but the risks that you mention have been all your own (jump out of a loft - break your leg, fall from a tree - break your arm, caught by a bull - you get gored, [forgive my ignorance, but what can a pig do to you?:confused:]). Assuming that you are in North America or Europe, there is always help readily available and nearby. Cruising on a boat requires that everyone know how to operate the vessel, and appreciate the risks and consequences of their actions and inactions. To relate it back to your examples; caught unprepared in a storm - ALL hands lost. You can't call for an ambulance when you're 10 miles from shore. When you do call for help, it's going to take time to get there.

Jumping in to a new lifestyle would be hard enough. Adding to the stress; the need to acquire new skills, your propensity toward seasickness, and the substantial outlay on a new-to-you vessel, (maintenance, insurance, etc., etc.) would be, IMHO, irresponsible.

Also, I've been out of work for over a year, and keep looking, but have no prospects at this time. Good luck to all of us, and may 2010 be better than 2009!

#5 ·
Can you do it? Sure.
Should you do it? maybe.
NOW is the time to have a family meeting and figure out if everyone is on board. If everyone is enthusiastic, then NOW is the time to create a plan, and put that plan into action. Unemployment can either be devastating, or an opportunity, depending upon your point of view and your plan.
so, IF everyone is on board, and IF everyone is enthusiastic, and IF everyone wants to get hull wet, right now you still only have a dream that everyone has bought into. You have to turn that dream into a goal.
What is the difference between a dream and a goal?
A goal is a dream with a timetable and a budget.
Determine when you want to set sail. An exact date. Day, month, year. Make it realistic, attainable with a bit of pressure. "Tomorrow" is unattainable. "June 12, 2020" has no urgency- you will never make it happen because there is no unrgency to do so. Write that "set sail" date on the fridge door, in permanent marker. NOW it is REAL.
okay, so you have a date, now how about a budget? We can help, but this is something that you and your family are going to have to get together on. Once you have a solid figure, double it. NOW you have a REAL figure.
Take that REAL figure, divide it by the number of weeks until your set-sail date, and that is how much you have to save, make, or find each day. Write this on your fridge door in permanent marker. NOW it is ALL REAL.

Are you hesitant to permanently deface your fridge? Then you aren't ready to set sail yet. Your fridge is more important than your dream.

If you have had the family meeting, if you have come up with the numbers to inscribe on your fridge, then you have taken your first steps. The rest is just momentum.

One last thing. make sure your son's decision is HIS, uninfluenced. There is nothing of greater help on a boat than an enthusiastic teenager having the adventure of a lifetime, and nothing will make a cruise more miserable than an unhappy resentful adolescent.

#6 ·
OK you've "been on a boat once" and your biggest concern is seasickness? Not your ability to sail or maintain the boat? This is not a well thought out plan.

It sounds like you're just looking for the easiest solution to a difficult situation. Doing something because it seems to be the easiest solution is usually not the right solution.

You need to be passionate about wanting a cruising lifestyle. You can do it, but you will have to work hard at it BEFORE you start looking for a boat. Sailing can put your life and your family's life at risk if you don't know what you are doing.

#7 ·
Nah, the sea sickness is not a big deal to probably 99.999% of people. I would not worry about it. Crap, I might even get sick on one of those stink pot volmit (I mean fishing) expeditions!

The boating lifestyle is awesome, hard, expensive, and free all in one! You get to pick which one you want to focus on. I seem to do a bit of al of them. We have two kids on board, 6 (now) and 9. It is easy with them as the age is right. However, they have been on boats most of their lives. I am not sure how a teenager would make the transition. Everyone here will give you an opinino on that, but only you know your child and their temperment. I will say that if they are engrained in friends, it could be hard.

There is a great book by Tom Neale called 'All in the Same Boat'. Get it. It is cheap and a grea read. I am a huge proponent of his thoughts and they mirror mine. At the very least, it will give you a feel for what to expect. He raised two girls on the boat.

If I can help answer any questions, let me know. However, my viewpoint is tainted as I recently sold everything to do this and make it happen. And my little sailors take sailing seriously, see....

HEHE!

Take care,

Brian

#8 · (Edited)
First, some very sage advice given by my peers... I'd point out that many people who get seasick on powerboats do not get seasick on sailboats for some reason, and that there is a very big difference between monohull sailboats and multihull sailboats, and some are much better for some people than others... One of my good friends, who is now on her boat awaiting a weather window to cross the Gulf Stream, used to get violently seasick on a monohull sailboat....any monohull sailboat. She tried a catamaran and the issue has become much less of a problem—it hasn't gone away entirely, but it is now a reasonable thing to deal with.

Yes, a teenager can get adapted to a cruising sailboat lifestyle, provided he actually has an interest in doing so. One who gets violently seasick and doesn't care at all for sailing probably wouldn't do well....but if he loves to sail and loves spending time on a boat, then the adaptation is relatively simple.

I would highly recommend that you and your husband take at least a basic ASA 101 course—preferably separately—and get all three of you out on sailboats in varying conditions. Getting some time on sailboats is key to figuring out whether this is doable for you and your family.

Ed's points about you and your husband both being able to handle the boat single-handedly is a very key one. Cruising couples, even with a 13 year old son along, are often effectively doing just that.

If, after you get some time in sailing, and you and your family decide to make the leap.... start off with a reasonably sized boat that you can singlehand if necessary and start by day sailing and then weekending, and work your way up to longer and more challenging passages. Not only will this allow you to build experience, but it will also let you learn about your boat and its quirks.

You should also do as much of your own maintenance and repair work as possible, since these are skills that will save you money and possibly save you and your family in the future.

BTW, this is highly doable. My friend, who I mentioned above, never sailed before the last two years or so AFAIK. Yet, this past year, she, her husband and son, have bought a boat, spent much of the spring and summer learning how to sail her, and are now on their way to the Caribbean. :) Needless to say, I'm damn proud of the three of them.

I'd point out that a boat that is capable of doing this is not necessarily a huge expense. Another friend of mine recently bought a 30' catamaran that would be pretty good for a family of three to go cruising on. The boat was relatively inexpensive, and with a bit of sweat equity, some upgrades for cruising and a new set of sails, they could easily be cruising for less than $35,000 all told.

#9 ·
I notice that, although they don't all agree, all those above have very good advice. We're sort of Missouri sailors. My wife's family is from Shelbyville and mine from Springfield, but we've been living on the sailboat since 1972,- mostly in Florida. I would only add that it's far more realistic to expect to economically survive living aboard with a job secured in one location and staying at a home port with ocasional cruises. It's far less likely to be able to remain mobile and continually "pick up" work at new ports. You will have a better chance of adapting to life aboard if you don't start with fulltime cruising. Also, the best slip rates and availability will bein the SE from the Chesapeake to the Texas Coast, with the exception of the "resort" marinas.
'take care and joy, Aythya crew

#10 ·
I'd point out, that while slips are very convenient, a properly outfitted cruising sailboat can sit on a mooring for far less money. With a marina launch service or a dinghy, access is not much worse.

#11 ·
Thanks everyone for your comments and suggestions. I was totally making fun of my life on the farm....in a good way. What I meant was I don't shy away from very much, I absolutely get the seriousness of being on the ocean with a family and the dangers that come with that. Lessons would be an absolute most for us to even consider this. We have discussed this as a family to some degree,but we are still gathering the facts and info to make the best decision for all of us, together as a family.

Living on a sailboat certainly has some downfalls to it, privacy could be an issue for us, and maybe the small space but I would think we could adjust to that. Our son will certainly have some bearing on this as well, certainly having an unhappy teenager would not make for a happy home.

It appears that many people are turning to boats after financial ruin. Houses are a huge upkeep and mortgages sky high, much more costly then living on a boat. exactly the reason we are considering it, That's the big question I think, where do you turn to live after any financial crisis. Giving the choice we would still probably want our home to live in and a boat for fun.

Who knows what our future holds, maybe a sailboat , maybe not.
Of course I'm holding onto hope that everything will work itself out no matter which way we go.
so cheers to all of you for weighing in on this.
~Monark

#12 ·
It appears that many people are turning to boats after financial ruin. Houses are a huge upkeep and mortgages sky high, much more costly then living on a boat.
If I may share an observation; I've been shopping for the right boat for going on 3 years now. I've noticed that while powerboats can be had at about 40% discount (maybe better), sailboat prices, while down, are not down as much.

"Industry reports" will refute what I state above;
... Brokers sold 15 percent fewer boats over the course of the year, with 5,411 boats changing hands in 2009 compared to 6,399 in 2008. Valuations didn't improve against 2008 figures as quickly as unit sales, lagging throughout the summer, equalizing in September and October, and finally moving strongly ahead in [November & December]. The net decrease for the year, in valuations of sailboats sold, dropped 21 percent, more than $100 million, down from $505 million to just under $400 million.

Compared to the powerboat market, which showed a 7-percent gain in units in 2009 (to 21,839 boats) and a 12-percent drop in valuation (to $2.2 billion), the sailboat market didn't perform as well. Roughly 20 percent of all boats sold were sailboats and 15 percent of total sales valuations came from sailboat sales. By one measure, the sailboat market showed a bit more strength: the average time to sale for a boat listed on YachtWorld.com didn't change much in 2009, increasing very slightly from 272 days to 274; by comparison, the average powerboat sale took an extra three weeks, increasing from 250 to 271 days.
... but in my search, I've seen that well maintained Sailboats in the 30-40 foot range, seem to be holding their value.

Sorry about my earlier post. I don't mean to bring rain to your parade. However, you are asking for advice. ("Free advice is frequently worth less than you pay for it.":D ) You, and your family should learn to sail, first. If you decide that you like it, then proceed with your dream. However, given your statement about you and your family's level of experience, buying a boat and making it work for all of you seems like a recipe for disaster.

#13 ·
You know, and I am sure I am in the minority on this, but sailing is so easy and quick to learn that I am not sure how high I would prioritize it. Living aboard, which is what they are going to do, requires more of a knowledge of systems and how to fix them. The sailing... that is easy. And lets not forget that it has a motor - though that can be a feat to master in itself.

I think the biggest issue (my opinion) is whether you can really survive in the space. That is the killer. And if the answer is no for a sailboat, look at a motor boat or a house boat. Unfortunately, the cost of operation is much higher on those.

Just some thoughts.

Brian

#14 ·
Dear Karen

The advise given here is all good. I will try to put it in other terms for you and the rest of the community that reads Sailnet that are contemplating such a move.
Lets talk about sailing first. Seeing how you and your family are not sailors, I see this a big problem. Gigantic problem actually. Sailors for the most part are a different breed of humans. Even more so than powerboaters. We are in a class of our own. Taming the wind to our will, managing the boat and the labor required is not in most peoples skin. The romance of it all in movies, books and occasional sailors yarn that most people see is very misleading. It's work. A lot work. Both in sailing, maintaining even a simple boat and living on one. Nothing can compare to it that I have come across in all my adventures. But for us sailors, there is a sense of pride, accomplishment and love of the lifestyle that is hard to explain to the average person. Can you learn to love this lifestyle, you bet. However, not by giving up everything you know about living, lifestyle and managing everyday life as a landlubber. In order for this lifestyle to be successful, it needs to be taken slowly, methodical, and great care. Jumping in with both feet into this abyss with no knowledge of what it really takes to live is tomfoolery.
The expense of it all. Tons of books, articles in magazines and discussions on various bulletin's have beaten this subject pretty hard. There are roughly 3 camps out here on the sea; simplistic, moderate and luxury. From your post you will fit in the simplistic camp. This means living like camping in a park at worst to living in a small RV at best roaming the countryside. One will need to buy an older boat with few systems and need of repair. Skills to fix and maintain this boat will be required. Upgrades to systems can be very expensive. The term B.O.A.T stands for Bring On Another Thousand. I found this axiom to be to true. Than there is dockage and insurance. This can vary greatly depending on location. Major cities or popular locations are the most expensive, average > $600 a month to rural areas or private docks, $300 for the season. The problem with rural areas is finding work or having to commute great distances each day for work. Of course there are exceptions out there just have to find it.
The lifestyle itself. The boat is a floating home; constant in motion, small ( some prisoners have more room than we do), no privacy, constant boat maintenance, wonderful sunrises/sunsets, great sailor folks to be around, one with the sea and the environment to name a few. Each sailor has their own experiences and the same. This lifestyle will test a marriage/relationship like no other. Living in close quarters requires all norms to be thrown overboard. Privacy can be the most treasured commodity on a boat. Virtual privacy will be a new word in your vocabulary. Simple things like storage, cooking and cleaning will take on a whole new meaning. No longer just going to closet or cupboard to get things or even store things will be as simple as living in a land base house. It is different. I believe it is a whole new genre one needs to get used to. Point is what is simple on a land base house can be complicated in a boat. Taking a shower or going to the head is different. It is no longer just pushing lever or turning on the water for a 20 min shower.
Without writing a book here, I just want to point out a few things one needs to consider for such a radical lifestyle change you asked about. Take the advise others here and elsewhere. Weigh them with reality of your life at the present time. Keep asking questions until you are satisfy so an intelligent decision can be made. I wish you all the best and luck.

#15 ·
I’d advise focusing full time on the income problem for now, and then once that problem has been addressed (be patient, and optimistic! –even though that’s hard to do right now), beginning a more careful transition to the sailing / live-aboard lifestyle from a position of improved financial strength.

Transitioning to a live-aboard situation now may or may not help bridge you through this tough time, depending on all the new costs you’d incur (e.g., buying a boat, renting a slip, paying for any needed repairs and upgrades, paying for routine maintenance, etc.). This all should be carefully calculated up front so you know if you’ll actually be getting the relief you’re hoping for.

Regardless, your family will still need to attack the income problem head-on so you can meet your medium and longer term financial needs. The financial realities don’t disappear such as food, heating/cooling, room & board (in some form, e.g., slip rental), health care, college for your son(?), the need for retirement money of some kind, etc. etc..

Rather than “give up” in the face of a scary immediate circumstance, have faith that the job market will eventually recover. These things have ALWAYS been cyclical. If you commit yourselves now to living on or very near the water, you may miss out on (and may not even look for or be aware of) many job opportunities that may become available elsewhere as the economy begins to recover. Despite the scary news reports – this IS just beginning to happen, just as it has every time before. You may end up spending crucial job-search time instead dealing with all the new tasks associated with purchasing a boat and transitioning to a live-aboard lifestyle. Your family should not give up on the job search; long term persistence is very important.

If you think you’d like to try the sailing and the live-aboard lifestyle, you’ll find a lot of support here and I think you should do it, but it’s important to work on maximizing your chances for success all around. Best of luck, and welcome to SailNet!

#17 ·
Sorry Guys and Gals...

the thought of "the job market may recover" is just tom foolery for many of us. It has been a down hill roll the whole decade and any one who thinks it is going to recover soon....well I'd rather be broke on a boat, than broke with NO place to live.

How do you get back to a position of financial strength, when a job is lost. I am here to tell you that you can not put the brakes on fast enough to stem the bleed. And if you own a house, you have two choices - walk away, or give it away. That market is GONE.

So to Karen and others in our situation, you have hard choices to make, that many will never have to - because they have a job. With no cash flow, you are truly in the pickle...and the thoughts of you paying college for your kid is out the door,

or waiting....all of you with such great advice - how do you survive "until the great turn around" when your old expenses and the new ones like health care that you will have to pay at +100% rates, if you can get them are now 500% of your take home pay...

sure you get Cobra subsidy, that will knock off some, but now with the extension...you get to pay full premiums until the insurance/employers get the official word...How do you get an additional $750 for the next three months..

Get the boat, hold your family close and I will tell you that the stress will be far less than the unknown of waiting and watching what cash you have flow out while "waiting" for things (totally out of your control) to get better.

All the best...and to those of you who are not in a similar situation (i.e. you have a job, with benefits) - you have NO idea what this is like. So suggesting to someone to "wait it out, it will get better" is so unrealistic as to be laughable.

dave, been there done that nothing left

#23 · (Edited)
yep..get the boat

Get the boat, hold your family close and I will tell you that the stress will be far less than the unknown of waiting and watching what cash you have flow out while "waiting" for things (totally out of your control) to get better.
I agree... Regardless of obstacles to overcome, why not learn something new, experience, love - laugh - cry together and live a little for a change. Of course owning a box on a patch of grass and seeing the same things day after day hoping for better while time passes you by is still an option.:eek: Just stay inside and forget the ocean until you gain sail experience and can accept the possibility of loosing your boat.

#19 ·
The choice is not:
Option1: Sit back and hope things will get better while watching your savings vanish to the point you can no longer meet your obligations, then lose it all . . . OR
Option2: React in a panic - sell everything now to preserve what little you have, buy a boat, and (think you'll . . . ) sail the world and be happy.

What about Options 3, 4, 5, and 6?

One way or another, most people will need an income to remain financially viable over the long term. To recover, people in this situation need to be proactive, persistent, and flexible. If you've previously worked in an industry that's been in a long term decline, recognize that and be flexible about trying something different. If you're local area has been in a long term decline, be flexible and consider moving. But don't resign yourself to failure, give up on your future, and become destitute on a boat. For Neptune's sake, the OP has a 13 year old son whose future also has to be considered.

I've seen job loss really take the wind out of people's sails and it's sad to see, but it's not necessary. It's not that you fail, or loose, or fall but instead, it matters a great deal how you react to those circumstances. If you get knocked down - get back up! (. . . no, I didn’t say what you’re thinking . . . of course it’s not easy, it’s hard – but go fight for it anyway!).

The economy will recover, but it's true things may look a little different than before. That's OK, you be a little different than before too. You may find doing something new to be a really good thing. Don't just sit on the sidelines crying in your rum and watch the recovery pass you by.

To say that having hope is unrealistic and foolish is itself foolish. It's talking yourself out of your own recovery. I've seen these economic cycles run numerous times and invariably, people willing to put in the effort and who maintain a can-do attitude land on their feet. I've watched companies let go thousands of workers over several months, and then 6 months later hire almost as many right back in. If you're defeated and negative, that's a key obstacle to your own recovery. Get back up instead!

Yes, minimize expenses and be smart about preserving your assets in the short run - but panicking can land you in a worse predicament, and adopting a boat often results in a whole new set of (sometimes unforeseen) expenses.

Yes, be realistic about what's happened to your job, maybe your line of work, maybe your locality - but be flexible to try something different and/or move if need be.

Yes, pursue boating if you're interested, but don't attempt to run from your problems TO boating (they'll likely follow you onto the boat) - focus full time on solving the income problem, then look into a new way of life on the water within the scope of a longer term plan.

There's lots more that can be said on this topic than will fit in a post, a thread, or maybe even on Sailnet. I would caution though that people should be careful who they take advice from, those that have had a bad experience and are resigned to failure or those who have had a bad experience and have recovered. Remember the story of Ray Kroc who went bust 10 times before his success with the McDonalds franchise? What if he just gave up on attempt 9, bought a boat and resigned himself to living on a pittance? . . . We'd probably all have better eating habits I guess :).

I wish everyone well in this really tough economy, we WILL get through it. Just my two cents anyway.

#21 ·
I agree with kd3pc. If you're bleeding all over the place, it is great to hope tomorrow is going to be better than today, but it is also helpful to stop the bleeding. If you aren't working, yeah, things are going to eventually turn around, but you have to cut your expenses now before you and your family end up sleeping under a bridge.

That said, I don't think a boat is the best way to do that, a much better way is to go and stay with relatives, especially if you have children.

#22 ·
Buy a beat up 27, get moorage in the city, and live aboard. This will probably cost you at least $3000 to start and $500 a month. Then you will need to get a job. This is easy if you aren't picky... You will probably be destitute, but you will get to enjoy life on the water. That's about what I am doing. Just remember, just because it isn't conventional doesn't mean it isn't good.

Don't get steamrolled by norms. You don't have to live in a house and pay a mortgage. In fact, living on a boat can save you a lot of money which you can use later to buy a house or whatever.

We are all born

#24 ·
Curious...

ALL four of Monark's posts were on January 18, 2010... I wonder where she is now, and what happened...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.