Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2010

heins58 is on a distinguished road
take time to set up your "head" she'll be more than happy with your plans
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-21-2010

DDandCD is on a distinguished road
Thank you Poopdeckpappy. I read a poll on sail.net and it totally changed my outlook on the age of the boat I want. Originally I was looking for a boat no older than 10 years, but the price was too high. Over 80% of the people who voted owned boats from 16-20 years old. I've since started looking at older, more affordable boats, which has brought my dreams closer to reality. I currently live in the Pacific Northwest. I'm fairly certain that I'll be able to sail the sound for a long time before seeing everything. I'd like my first boat to be my only boat, meaning blue water capable. Right now, I'd settle for anything reliable enough just to get me started.
Old 01-21-2010

COOL is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDandCD View Post
I'm fairly certain that I'll be able to sail the sound for a long time before seeing everything.

I'd like my first boat to be my only boat, meaning blue water capable.

Right now, I'd settle for anything reliable enough just to get me started.
One of these sentences is not like the others.
The first and third thoughts go together and the second
is contrary.
You should not expect your first boat to be your last,
and it does not need to be what some would classify as
Blue Water capable. Just about any modern fiberglass
production boat is capable of a circumnavigation if well
prepared and sailed intelligently.
It is a more sensible approach to have your first boat
be a stepping stone to your ultimate goal.
Gain experience on a boat with simpler systems,
that sails well, is responsive, and that you can
easily afford.
Many of the boats that are touted as Blue Water cruisers
are expensive, filled with elaborate systems, and are built
to archaic design philosophies.
They are often relatively poor performers under sail and
difficult to handle in close quarters maneuvering.
Old 01-21-2010

wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about
I think a boat the requires a huge amount of maintenance is more appropriate if you are actually leaving than if it is going to sit at the dock too. If you're actively cruising on it you're going to maintain it better, because, well ... what else do you have to do ?

Please support my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-21-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
In Don Casey's This Old Boat, he points out that many people buy two boats in their lifetime... the first boat is what they think they want, and the second boat is what they really want/need, and the lessons they learned from owning the first boat went into driving their selection of the second one...and that is often the boat that they own for decades....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

óCpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

StillóDON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 01-21-2010

Siamese is on a distinguished road
As per usual, this site is offering you some great advice. Jeff H pretty well nailed it.

I'm thinking about learning curves. Competence under sail comes with determination and experience. It's a fun learning curve, but not to be underestimated. Being able to handle a cruiser safely under a variety of conditions is learning curve 1 that you'll have to deal with. No shortcuts.

Learning curve 2:
Boat ownership and upkeep is another learning curve altogether. Maintaining current systems takes time to master (I'll let you know when I master it). Evaluating where upgrades and mods are required, and effectively implementing is another. Knowing what needs attention is part of this learning curve. My first cruiser was a 1972 26 footer. I made a few mistakes with that boat. Not catastrophic, and all fixable, but stuff I just laugh at now. And that's despite carefully considering each upgrade or fix I attempted.

There's no getting away from learning curve 1. But learning curve 2 can at least be minimized to some extent. The teak decks are one example already given. I look at a teak deck, and all I see is hundreds of holes in the deck waiting to leak someday. Brightwork is a thing to behold...on someone else's boat! But that's just me. I'm a woodworker, but I get no thrill from applying 7 coats of varnish. Even without brightwork on my boat, there's plenty of waxing to do, valves to adjust, fuel filters to change, oil to change, cables to lube, shafts to align, anchor windlasses to lube, rigging to maintain...whew. I'm a coastal sailor, so I can't point you to the bluewater boat that minimizes maintenance, but it's doable.

Those who have suggested that your first boat will not be your last (or even be your boat in two years) are so right. It's just unavoidable. Inconvenient, but unavoidable. Not that one couldn't strive to get right the first time. If you do... write a book.
Old 01-21-2010

PCP777 is on a distinguished road
DDandCD

One of the most important things to consider is how your wife will respond to sailing. Some spouses love it, some can be terrified by the boat heeling etc. so if you make a huge investment on a blue water boat and it turns out she doesn't like the life style that can be a big problem.

I agree with Tager, get a small, simple exciting one design like a Laser first. This way you can both explore sailing, get your sailing chops down on a fun, fast, super simple boat that you can trailer and have limited financial exposure.

That's what we did, she loved sailing (Yes!) and then we moved up to the Catalina 25 the next year. (We still have the Escape Captiva for beach runs) Still not a blue water boat but it's a nice pocket cruiser that's very capable to do some over night anchors etc. A boat like this is not too expensive or too much to handle and helps you get a better idea of the skill level, work and maintenance involved with sailing a keel boat. The good news is that if you take care of the boat and put some money in it you won't take a loss when it's time to upgrade and get that big blue water boat.

The reason I selected the Catalina was that she's stable, easy to sail, has a lot of room down below for a small boat and is fairly simple to maintain. As for age, mine is a 1979 and was super well maintained. Even though I did a ton of sailing as a kid/teenager I had about 25 years of non sailing and I think anything bigger would have been a bit intimidating to get back into things.

Good luck!
1979 TR/FK #1390
~Stephanos~
Bayview Marina,
Lake Ray Hubbard
Dallas, TX

Old 01-21-2010
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road
I think DDandCD are thinking of living aboard from day one. In which case starting smaller than 30 feet is not really an option. 35 is a reallistic minimum and 44 about maximum. Two people can camp out for a night or two in a smaller boat but few manage to liveaboard. Lynn and Larry Pardy being the obvious exceptions to this.

Perhaps a Hans Christian 43 will do nicely - there is a 85 Telstar version with a cutter rig at 99k with, bring offers, motivated seller, attached. Teak decks as usual would need a close inspection.
Old 01-22-2010

poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by TQA View Post
I think DDandCD are thinking of living aboard from day one.
That was my impression also

Quote:
In which case starting smaller than 30 feet is not really an option. 35 is a reallistic minimum and 44 about maximum. .
We have a TY37, very comfortable for the two of us, easily handled by the two of us and easy for me to work shorthanded when she's nap'n

If his plan is to LA from day one, he could do the HC or simular boat, he could go between 36' ( minimum required for LA's in most marinas ) and a 44 or even a 48HC, he could live aboard, learn his boat inside and out, take the ASA courses and for kicks get a small sailing dink to play around on a tune his skills, all the while learning and applying he growing skills to his big boat.

In that frame, his first boat can and could be his last boat, should he choose

Freedom comes when youíre ready to sail away. True freedom comes when you donít have to return

Cut off from the land that bore us, betrayed by the land we find, where the brightest have gone before us and the dullest remain behind, .......but stand to your glasses, steady,.......tis all we have left to prize, raise a cup to the dead already, hurrah for the next that dies