Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2010

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
musa, cut and paste that reply into your original post, and you have an intro that people will take a little more seriously.

You still haven't told us what your preferred base of operations would be, but by the sound of things, it seems you are looking for accomodation in NYC?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-26-2010

GeorgeB is on a distinguished road
Perhaps you shouldn’t take every thing you google at face value. I have moored boats in marinas for close to thirty years and I’ve never heard of anyone loaning their boat to a complete stranger so they can live aboard rent free. You were badly miss-informed if you thought this was the case. Perhaps you can google real estate boards to see if someone would give you free use of their house. Have you tried the banks? Maybe they will give you free use of a foreclosed property? About the only chance you are going to get a rent free use of a boat is if your parents own that boat. Good luck on your search for a free living situation!
Old 01-26-2010
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
musa - from what you've laid out, there's a lot of "quid", but not much "pro quo".

In other words, what's in it for the owner? I think that's what you're being asked - and it's a perfectly valid question. And your listed credentials don't help answer that very well.

Reading through your posts - the only "pro quo" I see would be the case of a boat owner that had a personal mission to help young creatives who he/she believed in, or who's work he/she believed in. In that case, you might actually find a benefactor because financial gain or true assistance with labor is not that important.

Apart from that, if you've got no skills or money to help the owner with the boat (even though you're willing to learn them) what is the "something in return"? The "pro quo"?

Maybe those creative benefactors are out there - and it definitely never hurts to ask. But it sure seems like a hard sell.

Personally, I'd sue Google.

(PS - welcome to SN dude.)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 01-26-2010

wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about
Musazwana,

There is a thread here at Sailnet about renting boats to people and even in that thread the overwhelming response is that it isn't a good idea, so even if you were offering to pay rent you'd probably receive a cool response.

You have to understand, besides having a lot of money invested in their boats, people are also paying money, sometimes lots of money, just to tie their boats up to a dock. In a place like New York City you could be talking hundreds, maybe even a thousand a month or more just in marina fees. Then on top of that if the owner of the boat wants to live aboard the boat then they often have to pay even more over and above the fees they are already paying, a special "live aboard" fee. Then if the boat is going to be a live aboard there are the usual electrical and cable bills, etc, just like with a house. So, the obvious question is, if someone is going to pay all of those fees to make the boat capable of being lived on, why wouldn't they be living on it themselves ? You wouldn't pay a live aboard fee if you weren't going to live on the boat, right ? So at the very least you might think about offering to pay the live aboard fee and utilities.

The only time I could think of that something like what you want would work is if there is someone who comes in with a boat and wants to spend a few weeks or months exploring the United States and they would like to have someone watch their boat for them while they are wandering around the country. In that case you'd probably be called "crew", and you'd be better off finding situations like that in a place that has classifieds looking for crew. We do have a forum like that here.

The reason they're giving you a cool reception is because you've kind of asked the equivalent of "Hey, that's a great car, I love all the work you did restoring it, would you mind if I drive it around for a few months for free because I'm a great person ?"

Please support my

Last edited by wind_magic; 01-26-2010 at 01:30 PM. Reason: sp
Old 01-26-2010

musazwana is on a distinguished road
Smile Thank you...

Unfortunately I was born with a bold spirit and am willing to ask questions because I want to know the answer, or at least get closer to it. If all it takes to explore the idea of boat sitting is posting a question on a forum and getting some REAL answers from experienced people, I JUST LEARNED SOMETHING! Sorry if I ruffled any feathers but I appreciate those who honestly gave me their thoughts into the situation.
Old 01-26-2010
Weekend Sailor

edguy3 is on a distinguished road
Looks like you figured out that you're not likely to find a free couch here, but you might be able to share expenses with someone in distress.

Another option is to find a part time job in a marina that would get you some experience; I'll bet you could do some pretty awesome graphics work as most of the work from your SU studio is simply amazing*. Then, you could learn more as you go.

However, you might do better by purchasing an old boat and learning by trial if you can find a cheap place to anchor. Unfortunately, your work is typically centered around NYC and LA and neither of these places are anywhere near cheap. I did knew a guy in Austin that used this approach. IRC, he helped out at the marina in exchange for reduced rent. He also acted as the unofficial night watchman. OTOH, maybe that's more of an asset in the NYC area...

Happy sails.
/ed

* When I was at SU Computer Graphics involved soldering irons.
Old 01-26-2010

wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by musazwana View Post
Unfortunately I was born with a bold spirit and am willing to ask questions because I want to know the answer, or at least get closer to it. If all it takes to explore the idea of boat sitting is posting a question on a forum and getting some REAL answers from experienced people, I JUST LEARNED SOMETHING! Sorry if I ruffled any feathers but I appreciate those who honestly gave me their thoughts into the situation.
I think you could get somewhere if you were offering to pay part of the marina fee on a boat. There are people out there, with the economy like it is, who own boats and are finding themselves in difficult situations, they don't want to sell the boat, but they also need to cut their expenses, so if you were offering to help cover part of their marina fee I think you might find something. It isn't free, but it also probably isn't much when compared to paying rent, marina fees can range anywhere from a few hundred to many hundreds, and even higher in a large city. Then the owner is getting something from your offer, they might have been paying say 400$us/month in marina fees and you come along offering to cut that in half, if you can convince them you were not going to cause any harm to their boat, or better, that you might actually keep it clean, etc, for them, then yeah, maybe you could find something.

Please support my
Old 01-26-2010
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Okay - so here's a question...what kind of situation would make something like this attractive? For example, let's say it's some kid with killer handyman skills (fiberglass work, painting, plumbing, mechanic, etc.) and you had just bought a floating trainwreck of a boat in need of TONS of work.

The kid is willing to put X number of hours per week doing a great job of cleaning, fixing, etc. - under your general supervision. The kid's also willing to pay some portion of the slip fee for stupid cheap rent. Does it become attractive then?

Seems to me, as you mention wind, that at some level it could start to make sense.

I mean, forget all the legal/insurance crap for now. I'm just trying to see what people think WOULD work in such a situation.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40

Last edited by smackdaddy; 01-26-2010 at 02:18 PM.
Old 01-26-2010
NON member

AE28 is on a distinguished road
Maybe musa could incorporate gun violence whilst visiting this website into the documentary???

Paul
Old 01-26-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
As pointed out above, a boat big enough for you to live and work on comfortably, is going to be a fairly expensive asset for the owner. As far as I can see, you have NO real skills that make you desirable as a boat sitter. You don't have any woodworking skills, varnishing skills, fiberglassing skills, plumbing or mechanical skills from what you've said. So as SmackDaddy put it...there ain't much quid pro quo there...so what exactly is the incentive for anyone to allow a complete stranger, who is not capable of maintaining much less upgrading the boat, to live on it rent free?

The internet says a lot of things, but not all of them are anywhere close to being real-world accurate. Boat-sitting is not a viable option in 99.9999% of the marinas that I can think of. I'd point out that having someone living aboard actually costs the person who owns the boat money, as many marinas have a liveaboard fee. Also, the electrical and water usage for the boat will go up if someone is living aboard. Yet, you're expecting someone to absorb these extra costs for the privilege of having you mooch off of them.

Now, paying part of the marina fees may not be an option... since accepting money to let you live on their boat may move them from a personal boat to a commercial venture. That gets into a lot of money for commercial insurance and also requires that they have a USCG license, since they might be considered chartering the boat in effect.

Of the ideas offered in this thread, the only one that might even be close to reasonable is you buying an inexpensive boat to liveaboard. If the boat was outfitted properly, say with a decent solar panel, small refrigerator, a shore power setup with hot water heater, etc... you could probably live aboard it for far less than your rent would be in many locations. My marina charges about $2700 for a boat to sit at a slip from April until November...if you figure that's almost eight months... that is less than $350 a month... There are not many places you can rent your own place, on the water for that amount.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.