Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2010

musazwana is on a distinguished road
Smile I Want to Boat Sit!

I am a freelance graphic, web designer and videographer. I am looking for a situation where I can live rent free while working on my next projects. I heard about living on boats and am trying to find someone who would be willing to allow me to learn about boat care while staying on their vessel.

ADDED INFO:

I have a degree in computer graphics from syracuse university and alot of computer science skills as well. i am currently developing several projects for 2010:

a regional media group in upstate new york:
- TV Show on the CW on Time Warner Cable in Upstate NY, VT & MA
- Several Public Access TV Shows
- Several Radio shows on various local stations
- 2 Monthly print newsletters
- website which includes live webcam shows (not of the sexual nature)

All of the above have been started but need some additional development.

I am almost finished shooting a documentary on gun violence and will need some time to do the post production (editing, etc) on that project as well.

Since most of my work is done over the internet, I am open to locating almost anywhere.

Like most freelancers, I generally find myself having to deal with clients while trying to develop my own projects, in order to pay the bills. At 34 I am looking to change my business model from freelancing on other peoples projects to developing my own. I am here exploring ways to be able to concentrate on the development of these projects.

I have a long list of references from clients that I can provide that will vouch for my ability to make anything happen and my willingness to do whatever it takes to make a project work, from programming the computer network, to shooting the camera or sweeping the floors. I am not scared to work hard and get dirty.

I understand that I don't have any real experience, but I know that noone has experience in anything until they make an effort to learn. This is the beginning of my effort.

Last edited by musazwana; 01-26-2010 at 12:34 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-26-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Just curious, but what boat maintenance skills do you have that would make it worthwhile for someone to allow you to stay on their boat for free??

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 01-26-2010

Thumbs up Experience?

I have none. I am working on some projects (graphics, video, web, radio) and while I am developing them needed a low/free rent situation. I did a search on google and it recommended boat sitting.

I have been on the ocean and didn't get sea sick. I have a degree in Computer Graphics from Syracuse University and I am a fast learner and would be honored to learn some new skills.
Old 01-26-2010

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by musazwana View Post
I am a freelance graphic, web designer and videographer. I am looking for a situation where I can live rent free while working on my next projects. I heard about living on boats and am trying to find someone who would be willing to allow me to learn about boat care while staying on their vessel.
Translation- I have a facebook page and an iPhone and my mom finally kicked me out of the basement.
Old 01-26-2010

Thumbs down Not even close

I graduated college in 1999 and i don't have a iPhone. i haven't lived with my parents since i left for college and i would appreciate it if you would treat me with the same respect you would want me to treat you. If your not interested in this posting all you have to do is move on.
Old 01-26-2010

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
Respect is earned, it is not a gift.

You wander in here looking to beg a floating couch, and expect to be respected? Tell you what, chuckles, let's start over. Introduce yourself, tell us where you currently couch-surf, what projects you're working on, and explain in 100 words or less why letting YOU occupy MY boat for free is a benefit to ME.

In other words, EARN my respect.
Old 01-26-2010

k1vsk will become famous soon enough
This used to be a welcoming forum - not anymore...
This isn't the forum to visit if you hope to receive nothing but constructive responses. With a boat most people would consider a "live-aboard", it is large and therefore expensive enough such that most people would be wary of anyone living on it for free, particularly someone totally unfamiliar with how to take care of their investment - would you want someone living free in your 6 figure condo while you were away, particularly someone you don't know, never met and know absolutely nothing about?
Old 01-26-2010

gtod25 is on a distinguished road
I love that some people "demand" to be treated with respect...

Quote:
Originally Posted by musazwana View Post
I graduated college in 1999 and i don't have a iPhone. i haven't lived with my parents since i left for college and i would appreciate it if you would treat me with the same respect you would want me to treat you. If your not interested in this posting all you have to do is move on.
OK, lets pretend that this is an interview and you want me to let you boat sit my $250K boat in a nice marina while I pay $1K per month rent. Please tell me what you will bring to the party. It should be a little more than you graduated 10 years ago and are "freelance" aka unemployed. Are you doing a video project on World hunger, Haiti, saving cats/dogs? I assume you are +/- 30 yo so I expect to be impressed.

Old 01-26-2010

Thumbs up Thank you for the positive responses

I apologize for being a newbie, but not knowing how to approach this type of thing I was hoping that any slightly interested party would do what the last 2 people did and ask me what additional info they wanted to know. I won't comment on the negativity.

I have a degree in computer graphics from syracuse university and alot of computer science skills as well. i am currently developing several projects for 2010:

a regional media group in upstate new york:
- TV Show on the CW on Time Warner Cable in Upstate NY, VT & MA
- Several Public Access TV Shows
- Several Radio shows on various local stations
- 2 Monthly print newsletters
- website which includes live webcam shows (not of the sexual nature)

All of the above have been started but need some additional development.

I am almost finished shooting a documentary on gun violence and will need some time to do the post production (editing, etc) on that project as well.

Like most freelancers, I generally find myself having to deal with clients while trying to develop my own projects, in order to pay the bills. At 34 I am looking to change my business model from freelancing on other peoples projects to developing my own. I am here exploring ways to be able to concentrate on the development of these projects.

I have a long list of references from clients that I can provide that will vouch for my ability to make anything happen and my willingness to do whatever it takes to make a project work, from programming the computer network, to shooting the camera or sweeping the floors. I am not scared to work hard and get dirty.

I understand that I don't have any real experience, but I know that noone has experience in anything until they make an effort to learn. This is the beginning of my effort.
Old 01-26-2010

Cool On the question of Respect...

I was taught growing up to treat everyone with respect until/unless they do something to make you treat them otherwise. When someone treats someone they don't know with disrespect, it reflects more on their negative character as it is witnessed by ALL of those around the situation.

So unless I did something disrespectful to you, I would expect to be treated with the same respect you would expect to be treated with, EVEN IF I don't know you.