Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2010
not-so-old salt

tonybinTX is on a distinguished road
Any 'ol dog will do as long as they're trainable.
Old 01-28-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
However, they're very rare, extremely expensive and have a very bad temper...
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
I recommend a New England Sailingdog. Though they can be testy sometimes, they usually help with fairly sound advice.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-28-2010
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
However, they're very rare, extremely expensive and have a very bad temper...
You're telling me. And I hear they can't be housebroken for squat.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 01-28-2010
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd
And if you do get a New England Sailingdog, as Bob Barker says: Spay or neuter your pet!
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Old 01-28-2010

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Do these NE sailing dogs know how to handle a mono hull? or a mono hull with trailing hulls? or a true multi hull..ie a catamaran?

ok, enough pushing buttons for the day eh!LOL

Marty
Old 01-28-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
That would be illegal, as I understand they're considered a national treasure and are a protected species as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbleheadMd View Post
And if you do get a New England Sailingdog, as Bob Barker says: Spay or neuter your pet!

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 01-28-2010
Midwest Puddle Pirate

US27inKS has a spectacular aura about US27inKS has a spectacular aura about
I disagree with the waterdog advice. There are a lot of labs around here, and you can't keep them out of the water. That's fine at the dock, but do you want your dog jumping off the boat while sailing? A dog that swims like a rock is very unlikely to jump off the boat, and a life jacket will keep it afloat if it falls off. To me the question is, do you really want to retrieve your retriever every time you sail?

John USYacht 27 "Cora Lee"
Old 01-28-2010

CapnSantiago is on a distinguished road
Pugs are great dogs, you can't look at them and not smile or laugh. They also have unique expressive personalities. Our pug Jazz loves the boat and the water and will fall alseep immediately & happily under the sailing motion of the boat. However, they can not swim well at all and their short neck and smushed face does not hold their head/mouth/nose more than a couple of inches above water so even the smallest of waves swamps her. My pug always uses a life jacket and sinks butt first without one.

Also, pugs can NOT tolerate the heat, again because their lack of a long nose that naturally cools the air they breath and many pugs have what's know as double coats. Hot to a pug is anything above 70, so depending where you are you will need constant shade for them and may have to wet them to keep cool. They cannot be in temperatures above 80 for prolonged periods without some relief. This is a serious concern that you should strongly consider. There are many pug rescue organizations throughout the US that will take them and adopt them out if you cannot provide the appropriate environment for them.

Pugs are also very routine oriented (mine will bark at a misplaced shoe or relocated peice of furniture) and can get stubborn if you shift their 24hr routine until at least it becomes the routine. They are touted as a big dog in a small package and I concur. They do require routine maintenance of their face wrinkle, bulging eyes (susceptible to scratches & infections), smushed nose, ears, and their anal glands (if you don't know about this please do some internet searching).

If you can deal with all that you will absolutely fall in love with it and you will learn it's quirks and subtle gestures that will make it & you happy. Pug lovers know you don't own a pug, it owns you and you are just there to serve their simple needs.
Old 01-28-2010

CapnSantiago is on a distinguished road
I forgot one other important thing, some people think pugs snore but I do not agree. They do however breath rather loudly and you will always know where they are because you will hear their breathing. This may bother some, but I find it to be a very comforting sound.
Old 01-28-2010
Telstar 28

A properly trained PWD or Schipperke will not jump off the boat typically.
Quote:
Originally Posted by US27inKS View Post
I disagree with the waterdog advice. There are a lot of labs around here, and you can't keep them out of the water. That's fine at the dock, but do you want your dog jumping off the boat while sailing? A dog that swims like a rock is very unlikely to jump off the boat, and a life jacket will keep it afloat if it falls off. To me the question is, do you really want to retrieve your retriever every time you sail?

Telstar 28
New England