SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Living Aboard (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/living-aboard/)
-   -   Convincing the wife, living aboard in Florida is a good idea. (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/living-aboard/61657-convincing-wife-living-aboard-florida-good-idea.html)

RicknSue 01-30-2010 11:49 AM

Convincing the wife, living aboard in Florida is a good idea.

Hi All,
I am not new to Sailnet, been reading for years. I am convinced I need to retire at 59 1/2 and go to Florida. We will have a modest income to live on but I love the water and sailing. She on the other hand is tentative, conservative, and scared. Anyone have some thoughts.

CaptainForce 01-30-2010 12:25 PM

Where are you presently located? Do you have access to visit marinas that have live aboard vessels? Has your wife been in the interior of a liveaboard boat similar to what you're looking for? ...Boat Shows,...Charters? Does she spend time well within an efficiency apartment or an RV? Does she have experience and interests in non-liveaboard boating? Would she have interest in attending a community education Power Squadron boat handling & navigation course with you? My wife and I enjoy retirement cruising on the
East US Coast. What would be your potential cruising area? Keep us posted, 'take care and joy, Aythya crew

WanderingStar 01-30-2010 12:42 PM

Start her off with short cruises. Give her a chance to enjoy it. Involve her with the sailing.

sailhog 01-30-2010 01:45 PM

Buy or rent a small house in a place like Tampa that comes with a deep-water dock. Buy a boat and, voila, you've both got what you want. Maybe you can sneak out of the house for an extended Carribean cruises with your girlfriend while your wife stays home and works! I'm just thinking out loud here.

sailingdog 01-30-2010 02:47 PM

Get Debra Ann Cantrell's book Changing Course... read it and then give it to her.
Quote:

Originally Posted by RicknSue (Post 565309)
Hi All,
I am not new to Sailnet, been reading for years. I am convinced I need to retire at 59 1/2 and go to Florida. We will have a modest income to live on but I love the water and sailing. She on the other hand is tentative, conservative, and scared. Anyone have some thoughts.

RicknSue 01-30-2010 05:45 PM

Telstar28, I read the post. Hope I', not being redundant.

RicknSue 01-30-2010 05:45 PM

In the midwest. No except maybe on vacations. No we owned a 21 ft
American Mariner for a while, pretty cramped living space. The first
time out was a blast. The second time she wasn't feeling well but
wouldn't cancel the trip. Now she things she'll be sick constantly.
We have RVed for 6 years with no problem. The course would be good. We
have one over in Lawrence Kansas but on Sundays only. We can't make
that one. I am looking at another boat. Catalina 25 with center board
over on lake perry, KS. hoping that will give us some more experience.
I have 4 more years before I can make the jump. I would like to go to
the gulf coast of Florida down to the Keys for a cruising grounds. We
were in the Keys in Dec. I fell in love with that area.

Thanks for the help

Rick

RicknSue 01-30-2010 05:46 PM

Sailhog
Sounds interesting to me but the wife threw a fit......thanks alot

bljones 01-30-2010 06:00 PM

Damn, sailhog, you always leave out that one very important phrase after "with your girlfriend"... aforementioned phrase being, "that your wife doesn't know about..."

This is the fifth time that you have offered this advice without the right phrasing, and three out of five have ended in divorce, one threw a fit, and one we have not heard back from, but the search for the body continues. You gotta be more careful, dude!

Keldee 01-30-2010 08:38 PM

As far as I am concerned calling your better half"the wife " does not bode well for a partnership in living aboard together.The only way this works is if BOTH of you want it.
Wanderingstar has it right starting off with short trips also listen to her tolerance level when sailing and adjust accordingly it will pay off in the end and build trust.Forget about BFS's unless she wants them or just sail on your own.The power squadron courses arevery good not just for your wife but you as well.Good luck