Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2010
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by eryka View Post
What makes ME feel like I'm camping out is walking back from a shower with wet hair, so very high on my list is a hot-water heater and good handheld sprayer for the head. We've never had the condensation problems Sailingdog warns about, after 8 years of showering aboard.
I agree with Eryka. I've never had a condensation problem aboard that was traceable to showering on the boat. I read it over and over but have never run into it or talked to anyone else with the issue. Everyone has heard it or read it though ... another cut and paste urban legend perhaps?
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-22-2010
Meat Popsicle

nailbunnySPU is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVAuspicious View Post
I agree with Eryka. I've never had a condensation problem aboard that was traceable to showering on the boat. I read it over and over but have never run into it or talked to anyone else with the issue. Everyone has heard it or read it though ... another cut and paste urban legend perhaps?
The only problems i've experienced is in the one i've got, it wasn't really made of water-proof stuff and the plywood has delaminated and warped past the screws holding id down, and soap seems to be the nemesis of teak oil. I may have made it sound like a big deal earlier but i haven't had much experience with it, i just got my hot water working, i just don't like to leave water lying around as I can't take spontaneous drying for granted.
Old 02-22-2010

scottyt is on a distinguished road
here is a trick i learned from a guy who did a circumnave. he had a cheap pool toy dingy like i use, he used it as a back up dingy, and a bath tub. boil 2 gallons of water and 2 gallons of cold dump it in the dinghy and enjoy. if your in a marina just cart a jug of hot water back to the boat. you can do this in the saloon when its cold out

when done bathing do the laundry in the dinghy
Old 02-23-2010

EagleSailtwo is on a distinguished road
Has anyone livaboard here questioned sewage issues? I mean, how do you dispose of your sewage? You cant pump it overboard! So you awake in the middle of the night, and in your pajamas, you need to take a leak! Do you actually get dressed and proceed to the yard provided (heated) bathrooms, 25 yards away, if there is any???

Or...what about No.2 ????? What do you do when it's 15 degrees out and you gotta go???

There are ways to do this legally, but how many liveaboards do it? aNd what is it, and how do you do it, to make it legal?

GREY SUBJECT.....
Old 02-23-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Umm...that's kind of what they have holding tanks for.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleSailtwo View Post
Has anyone livaboard here questioned sewage issues? I mean, how do you dispose of your sewage? You cant pump it overboard! So you awake in the middle of the night, and in your pajamas, you need to take a leak! Do you actually get dressed and proceed to the yard provided (heated) bathrooms, 25 yards away, if there is any???

Or...what about No.2 ????? What do you do when it's 15 degrees out and you gotta go???

There are ways to do this legally, but how many liveaboards do it? aNd what is it, and how do you do it, to make it legal?

GREY SUBJECT.....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 02-23-2010
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough
Quote:
I mean, how do you dispose of your sewage?
I use an Electroscan waste treatment system, which is fine for discharge of treated waste (for now) on Chesapeake Bay. Unfortuantely, RI is a NDZ (thank your elected representatives) and you don't have that option. I know that in many areas of RI and MA there are pump-out facilities that operate year round.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

Old 02-23-2010

sarafinadh is on a distinguished road
Quote:
So you awake in the middle of the night, and in your pajamas, you need to take a leak! Do you actually get dressed and proceed to the yard provided (heated) bathrooms, 25 150 yards away
yeah well... we do get up in the middle of the night and schlep, in the rain and cold, to the marina facilities.

as you can imagine, getting the composting head built in is a PRIORITY!

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
Old 03-01-2010

EagleSailtwo is on a distinguished road
Holding tank?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailing dog View Post
Umm...that's kind of what they have holding tanks for.
Forgot to mention.......Most pump out services are curtailed during the winter months here in the NorthEast.........Pumping of holding tanks is not possible!
Old 03-01-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
The OP is in the Chesapeake area, not the northeast.
Quote:
Forgot to mention.......Most pump out services are curtailed during the winter months here in the NorthEast.........Pumping of holding tanks is not possible!

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-01-2010

CaptainForce will become famous soon enough
An increasing number of marinas have a pump-out plumbed to each slip. In many South Florida areas this is the law for liveaboard slips. I know Spring Cove Mairna in Solomons, Md. has slip pump-outs. Of course, I'm not north of 33 degrees Max in the winter, so I can't speak of the frozen stuff. 'take care and joy, Aythya crew