SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Living Aboard (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/living-aboard/)
-   -   Living Aboard NJ (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/living-aboard/62352-living-aboard-nj.html)

djlm6738 02-25-2010 06:49 PM

Living Aboard NJ

Does anyone have any idea where you can live aboard in NJ? I Looked around and it seems most of the marinas shut off the water because of freezing worries.

SVAuspicious 02-26-2010 12:03 AM

I've been through a number of winters without water on the dock -- fill-ups are either by jugging water or a live-aboard hose party to an inside faucet somewhere.

Melrna 02-26-2010 08:33 PM

Liberty Landing Marina. They will put all the liveaboards on one pier and the pipes are heated when I was last there two years ago.

tager 02-26-2010 09:11 PM

Living aboard is the best.

JimMcGee 02-26-2010 09:31 PM

Not for the faint of heart

All marinas will shut off water and pump outs in the winter. The question is are there heated locker rooms with showers and restrooms that are open year round, do they have bubblers, and are they going to freak out about a liveaboard who's running an electric heater to keep his boat warm while he's at work.

You also have to contend with the weather. It seems like we've been averaging two nor' easters a month. If you're on the coast, or even on Barnegat Bay that means 50-60mph winds and six foot tidal surges.

FWIW, that long cold walk up the dock for your morning shower when it's 20 degrees and the wind is howling off the water is not for the faint of heart. :eek:

Even without all this winter's storms I wouldn't recommend it in this part of the country.

Just My 2 Cents,
Jim

bob chaisson 02-27-2010 11:09 AM

This has been my 3rd year living aboard in NE and it isn't much different than being a land dweller. We have a pump out boat, do community water fills each week and use the land showers. The only big thing is dock safety. The docks ice, and it may not be visible. Always have rocksalt handy, preferably the paw safe type as it is easier on your cabin sole and carpets. If you go in and there isn't anyone about, you most likely won't survive. If you opt for electric heat be sure to have a fossil fuel backup in case the electric runs out. The biggest thing this year has been the winds, gusts to 50K. That takes a little getting used to but after a winter of those your sea legs are well developed.

CaptainForce 02-27-2010 01:34 PM

I think Utsch's Marina in Cape May has the most liveaboards in NJ.

chef2sail 02-27-2010 02:38 PM

Our club has liveaboards all winter, and even though we are in Maryland the club turns the dock water off every December. Our solution has been to group the liveaboards in close proximety to each other and run a PVC water line from an inside water source along that dock under the water with spigots every 25 ft or so. If you need to fill with water you have to fish up the PVC pipe where there is a spigot hook up your hose...fill up. Simple and never has been a problem

Dave

CalEnron 02-27-2010 03:02 PM

I live aboard year round in Nantucket. The water is shut off from Oct. through May. I just use 5 gal buckets to fill the holding tank and don't use the head. Electric is pricey and this year the storms have been somewhat severe, but I wouldn't ever go back to paying rent.

CaptainForce 02-27-2010 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CalEnron (Post 574830)
I live aboard year round in Nantucket..........., but I wouldn't ever go back to paying rent.

Wait! Don't start some silly rumor that liveaboards don't pay rent!