Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2009

ronspiker is on a distinguished road
Actually I like it when an old thread is reopened. I don't normally search for things but when a post comes up that is of interest I read it, and learn from it, or sometimes it makes me think of other questions or ideas that I wouldn't have thought about.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-09-2009

Boasun will become famous soon enough Boasun will become famous soon enough
If the comments and questions are in line with the context of the subject, then why can't that subject thread be on going for a few years? Only the computers are changing. The boat is still a boat and don't change at all.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Maritime Instructor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Rapture
Old 01-29-2009
No longer on Sailnet

chall03 will become famous soon enough
It doesn't much matter if your continuing a theme, or adding new updated info to a slightly older discussion, if thats the case i'm all for it. I think Cam's/SD's et all point is that if you are attempting to engage in an exchange with the OP who is long gone than that is going to be pretty fruitless. Plus the result is that a whole bunch of morons like us then come along and just add rubbish onto the end of a dead thread, causing it too continue to appear fruitlessly, which causes more morons to see it and add to it, and then the whole vicious cycles continues.......I can see how after a while on here that might get a tad annoying

Then again maybe Reid is just a slow mover and is about to come on here and tell us what happened??

Watch this space.

'Life is either a daring adventure or nothing' - Helen Keller

Old 02-12-2009

motion300 is on a distinguished road
Hey you guys are way off point This thread is about liveaboard state of mind
Old 02-13-2009
No longer on Sailnet

Then again maybe we are currently all livingaboard......and maybe this is just our current state of mind?

Welcome to Sailnet Motion. Way off point is very much a state of mind around here. Poke around a bit, you'll find threads on Mainsheet travellers that end up turning into political discussions about the bush government. You'll soon warm to it.

Old 02-13-2009

bossanova is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABullard View Post
Hi Reid,

I agree with you that living aboard is a state of mind. It is one of living in some ways more simply, yet in some ways more complicated. On the simplicity side, you have to break away from the "accumulation of stuff" disease that is so rampant in today''s world. Yet on the other side you have to become more engaged in those things that make living aboard practical and safe. So you have to learn weather patterns and boat systems, etc.

My wife and I just achieved the goal of living aboard three weeks ago. Twelve years ago we sat down and mapped out a plan to get to this point and posted it on the refrigerator. We didn''t look at the plan often, but it was always there sub-consciously. Surprisingly we are only 18 months off that original plan. (Teenage kids will screw up any plan)

We think it is important to actually have a plan and really commit to it. If you don''t life''s distractions will cause you to lose your way and before you know it a great deal of time passes and for so many people they run out of time. So many people come up to us and congratulate us for living our dream. The sad thing is most of them say they "wish" they had followed their dream too, but didn''t or ran out of time or health, etc.

It is so nice to walk around the marina at night, listen to the Osprey''s call, the wind, and not much else. Its great to be close to nature again, even the rain and cold nights. Its great to be living again.

Tony
sv Columbine
Wow! Congrats! Inspiring story. Hope living aboard is all you've hoped for.
Old 03-07-2009
Author in Hawaii

OrioninHawaii is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to OrioninHawaii
Well I'll probably get in trouble for continuing this thread lol! BUT the point about being better prepared in case of a terrorist attack did strike a chord-
Two years ago we had a large earthquake here in Hawaii and it caused a massive power outage for several days- Waikiki was a disaster area as there were no operating restaurants and the hotels were unprepared...people on land couldn't use their digital phone service...all the radio stations went off air- no one knew what had happened for some time-
We on the other hand had our NOAA broadcasts on our radio,propane for our meals, lights and every other convenience - We even could have made some money feeding a few tourists lol...We always have provisions in case of emergency but going through this exercise made me appreciate being self sufficient. Just thought this was interesting in light of what was said here.
Old 03-07-2009
No longer on Sailnet

I guess that is one of the benefits of living a cruising lifestyle, the self sufficiency means that if the wheels of society get momentarily clogged, you are able to sit there with a sundowner and smile

By the way, Welcome to Sailnet Orion.

Old 03-07-2009

quidam1947 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to quidam1947
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
Check dates folks...you're adressing people who are no longer here!
Hi Cam, I've notice this phenomenia (old posts being addresses as new ones). They're obviously sparking something to cause one to respond. Is there anyway to modify this program to indicate a Expiry date of sorts?

Just curious. Thanks.

Michele
Old 03-07-2009

quidam1947 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to quidam1947
...perhaps a Pop-up window that tells the postee "they're about to post to a thread that has been dormant for 6 months or longer" Just a thought.