Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2009
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Quidam...I am not a mod here so can't help you but the BB software can not do what you ask. I'm sure that someone could write a program to do it but that takes time and $$. The software CAN be set not to show threads older than a certain age...but that would deprive us of a lot of knowledge.

Good idea though!
Old 03-07-2009

quidam1947 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to quidam1947
Thanks for the clarification on mod squad roles, and software education. I only thought to direct my suggestion to you because you jumped in so fast with the "Check the dates..." commentary. I'm still learning who's who around here.

I'm OK with looking at the date stamp for now, as
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-07-2009

quidam1947 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to quidam1947
(oops, wrong key) ... as this makes "cents" to me.
Old 03-30-2009

chris2998 is on a distinguished road
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABullard View Post
Hi Reid,

I agree with you that living aboard is a state of mind. It is one of living in some ways more simply, yet in some ways more complicated. On the simplicity side, you have to break away from the "accumulation of stuff" disease that is so rampant in today''s world. Yet on the other side you have to become more engaged in those things that make living aboard practical and safe. So you have to learn weather patterns and boat systems, etc.

My wife and I just achieved the goal of living aboard three weeks ago. Twelve years ago we sat down and mapped out a plan to get to this point and posted it on the refrigerator. We didn''t look at the plan often, but it was always there sub-consciously. Surprisingly we are only 18 months off that original plan. (Teenage kids will screw up any plan)

We think it is important to actually have a plan and really commit to it. If you don''t life''s distractions will cause you to lose your way and before you know it a great deal of time passes and for so many people they run out of time. So many people come up to us and congratulate us for living our dream. The sad thing is most of them say they "wish" they had followed their dream too, but didn''t or ran out of time or health, etc.

It is so nice to walk around the marina at night, listen to the Osprey''s call, the wind, and not much else. Its great to be close to nature again, even the rain and cold nights. Its great to be living again.

Tony
sv Columbine

Tony thank you for this write up I am 29 and have a plan I hope to buiy a boat at the end of the summer been searching for a boat about a year but really been searching hard for 6 months and trying to learn everything I can about different boat. I hope to in about 3 years in and counting down to throw the lines and just cruise for a few years.

Thank you for that little write up I needed the boost.

Chris

OOPS sorry for replying to a old post but still was a nice read

Last edited by chris2998; 03-30-2009 at 04:39 AM.
Old 04-01-2009

cosmo1207 is on a distinguished road
This is interesting...

I too, have been thinking about living abroad a boat but just recently. I Googled "living on boat" and this site was one that came up.

The state of mind tread appealed to me. I started reading. A good question was answered by some great knowledgable posts. In particular, Captainforce's 1/1/09 post. I wanted to email that post to my g/f.

Then someone interrupted the tread with irrelevance. Who cares if reid is still listening or not? I am interested and so are many others. This is a community board, right? I and many others who Googled here are the new reids.

The interesting thing is that others started to fixate on this replying to old reid, as if he's some particular person living down the street. Then the b/b expert had to step in and tried to focus the discussion back to the original intent. yet the obessive distraction continues on for several more posts... amazing. I have no idea what mod squad has to do with living on boats.

This tells me several things. The most alarming thing is, does living on boat actually affects the way a person thinks? It really is a state of mind. After reading this tread I am not quite sure that I want to live on a boat anymore.

Lastly, I would like to ask quidam1947, what kind of boat is that? that you use for your ID picture. That looks like the perfect boat to live on! Thanks
Old 04-01-2009
Seeker

zaliasvejas is on a distinguished road
Cosmo,
I agree with you about the insignificant details people are fixating on.... must be a control thing... and then it shows up elsewhere in their lives... they loose the basics, the big picture... so on...
I have lived on a boat for two winters and a summer and I have to say it has been wonderful. This lifestyle is not for your regular TV fed consumer, though... it gets rough, cold, and crazy sometimes, you can't call an electrician when something goes wrong, and you can't head for the safety of the mall when weather pics up... You get to live in nature, though... sleep in your own personal water bed and feel like you are a part of this earth, instead of a consumer group.
Think about it...
Old 04-01-2009

imagine2frolic is on a distinguished road
Living aboard is a lifestyle. Just like living in an apartment in S.F., N.Y, or any big city. Not to mention living in a rural area is a lifestyle, and all of these are not meant for everyone.

I also find living aboard connects me closer to Mother Nature. Watching the tides, and current can be very important depending on where you are.

As far as terrorist attacks yes we are already prepared, and mostly self suffecient. Generator, solar, wind, engines of all sorts to sustain us while dirt dwellers are without.

I have a 3/2 brick home with a pool, fireplace, sunken living room that sits empty, because I prefer to be in the marina with people that hold like minds to my own. I would much rather be out cruising again, but that is coming.

I guess to love the lifestyle you will need a certain state of mind to deal with it. It's much easier to live on dirt, but I still prefer the small inconvenieces of being on the boat. Hopefully the person who began this thread is out living his dream, and it suits him fine where ever he is......i2f

BORROWED, No single one of us is as smart as all of us!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-01-2009

cosmo1207 is on a distinguished road
You're right, of course, zaliasvejas. But I do have some serious questions regarding water living.

I too own properties on dirt which I currently don't live in; having just recently move out of a 2500 sf ranch house to a major US port city due to my g/f work relocate. I work from home and can basically live anywhere with modern communications.

We currently rent an apartment, a small dog lives with us. We've been looking for a condo in this city to buy, we both like the convenience of city living, but are particularly drawn to the wonderful water views and sunsets. Prices are good and we found views but there were certain "land-based" issues I didn't like. Without touching details, it occurred to me that to escape these issues, I can live on water.

Having already downsized from 2500sf to 900 sf apartment living, I am aware of the space/neccessity/storage issue; and I know I must rid more things. I will most likely be living on the boat only with my dog. My plan is to have my partner live on land; I will dock/live nearby and move freely between the two.

I am thinking a 30' - 40'

I do not have much sailing experience; I did sail a tiny sailboat on vacation once. I think 1/2 hr of instruction, then I was off. It was windy and it seemed I was going fast; it was a blast. I was out there for several hours and had to sunburns to prove it.

So, at this point I think a motor type boat makes more sense.

Is this the wrong forum for motor yachting?

Thanks for any inputs on size and type of boat.
Old 04-28-2009

Musketaquid is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainForce View Post
Ried, I agree with Tony that planning is key. I staring my plans when I was in college, as you, and the last year before moving aboard my wife and I lived in a portion of a small trailer in order to adapt to the space. For me, the "state of mind" is the desire for independence and self-reliance. Fourknots suggests the importance of this with the "terrorist attack" scenario, but it can be expressed with numerous events. I remember hiding out at anchor in a protected cove during a hurricane and enjoying my electricity, water, cooking and communications while the neighborhood ashore was without. We raised two children aboard, who now live ashore, and enjoyed the close family that comes with the lifestyle. We bought our first liveaboard sailboat in 1971 and have never owned a home ashore. We've spent years at a marina, working weekdays and sailing vacations and weekends and we've spent years fulltime cruising with ownership of nothing that is not on the boat. We are now in our sixties and starting our 38th year of living aboard. We are latitude coastal cruisers seasonally sailing from Maine to the Bahamas. We share community in about 20 ports that we frequent. I can not imagine making another choice in life for me. 'take care and joy, Aythya crew
Hi CaptainForce,
I have recently become interested in sailing and living aboard. Ideally, I would like to travel with the seasons down the east coast. What kind of work is available for someone who does this?
Old 04-29-2009

CaptainForce will become famous soon enough
Musketaquid, Unfortunately I have little information about working while cruising. My wife and I were both teachers and did all our cruising during the summer break or spring and christmas holidays. Now, as we are retired, we cruise fulltime. I've have met some people who are able to maintain their employment largely over the internet and I have known people with skills in areas like refrig/AC repair or boat canvass work. We know of a couple who carried stocks of sunbrellla and had a "canvass shop" in their v-berth, but they also had a retirement income and one of them sold artwork at consignment in several ports. 'good luck, Aythya crew