Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2003

reid5009 is on a distinguished road
Liveaboard: state of mind

I look to this message board everyday in hopes of learning something new. I am just a college student, but I have been long planning and dreaming of living aboard in a few years. Just to get some lively conversation here this is for everyone: What is your favorite live aboard story?
Don''t have the boat yet, then what are your dreams about living aboard? What is something interesting about yourself that screams "Parrothead" or "boatie"? Mine: Well I believe living aboard is a state of mind, you either love it or hate it. As I am not right on the coast for now, I subscribe to six different boating magazines to get my boat "fix," two of which are "Living Aboard" and "Lats and Atts."
I''ve enjoyed talking to everyone and hope to hear some great things.
-Reid
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-13-2003

ABullard is on a distinguished road

Hi Reid,

I agree with you that living aboard is a state of mind. It is one of living in some ways more simply, yet in some ways more complicated. On the simplicity side, you have to break away from the "accumulation of stuff" disease that is so rampant in today''s world. Yet on the other side you have to become more engaged in those things that make living aboard practical and safe. So you have to learn weather patterns and boat systems, etc.

My wife and I just achieved the goal of living aboard three weeks ago. Twelve years ago we sat down and mapped out a plan to get to this point and posted it on the refrigerator. We didn''t look at the plan often, but it was always there sub-consciously. Surprisingly we are only 18 months off that original plan. (Teenage kids will screw up any plan)

We think it is important to actually have a plan and really commit to it. If you don''t life''s distractions will cause you to lose your way and before you know it a great deal of time passes and for so many people they run out of time. So many people come up to us and congratulate us for living our dream. The sad thing is most of them say they "wish" they had followed their dream too, but didn''t or ran out of time or health, etc.

It is so nice to walk around the marina at night, listen to the Osprey''s call, the wind, and not much else. Its great to be close to nature again, even the rain and cold nights. Its great to be living again.

Tony
sv Columbine
Old 02-13-2003

Mclion71 is on a distinguished road

Reid:
Do you mean living aboard a boat, tied to the dock, working and only occasionally slipping the lines, or cruising?
Old 02-13-2003

Tinawburgess is on a distinguished road

Hi

We have lived aboard our Morgan 416 since May last year. Whilst in Florida it was great, but now we are back here in England, the damp, wet weather is a real problem. Condensation is streaming down the walls and mildew everywhere. Any suggestions other than moving back to a warmer climate would be appreciated.

Geoff and Tina Burgess
Old 02-13-2003

fourknots is on a distinguished road

I wonder if anyone has considered the ramifications of living aboard during a terrorist attack.

Being a liveaboard seems to make me better prepared. I have at least 2 weeks of water available at all times, lots of food, the capacity to generate power, several means of communication and above all, in the worst case scenario, I can move my entire life in a hour''s notice. Being a sailor, I can even move during a fuel outage.

While that certainly is not my reason for living aboard, it seems to be a benefit.

I think one of the best parts is eschewing the materialistic lifestyle. No matter how much I want it, I''ll never buy a big-screen TV. Or new sofa. Or lots of clothes. Eventually, that becomes self-reliance, because you learn to make do with what you have. It changes your mindset.

Another great part is being a part of your world. I know the state of the tide, the moon phases and the temperature. There is an ebb and flow to life that seems more apparent living aboard. I see ducks, geese birds and deer that homeowners rarely see. I know when there are strong winds at night (and I love it). The seasons don''t touch me, they grab me and yell, "look! The snow is melting!" The air is a little warmer than it was yeterday. The water is a little clearer.

That said, if you''re gonna do it, do it right. Don''t add to the reasons marinas discriminate against liveaboards. Live on a nice boat. One that CAN leave if you want. Respect the environment and your neighbors. Don''t be viewed as "floating trailer trash". If they don''t allow liveaboards, don''t liveaboard.

Good luck.
Old 03-06-2003

mark71565 is on a distinguished road

Ahoy Reid!

You are 100% correct and I would have to agree with you that living aboard is a state of mind. Truthfully, I have not lived aboard (yet)... but I did spend nearly a year living in my VW camper bus and loved every minute of it. Too bad I ran the poor thing to death and finally it just died. I''d probably still be in it had I the money to keep it running. But even then, I was looking to the waves as my next residence...

About 10 years ago, I started toying with the idea of living aboard a boat for a few reasons. 1) my love of the water. I have always been around the water since I grew up in Wood River, Illinois which is on the Mississippi River. 2) I was led to believe it would be "cheaper" than buying a house, property taxes, etc.

Actually, back in 1989, I came across a book called, "Privacy: How to Get it; How to Enjoy it." It was a cool book and it talked about many different lifestyles... living aboard was merely one way to "drop out" of society.

Like most people, I have "issues" concerning the missappropriations of tax funds and am trying to do all I can to drop out of this society. That may sound like being an unpatriotic rebel, but truth is, I am tired of giving my hard earned tax dollar to Uncle Sam and having his spend it on things I don''t agree with. (Of course, no one likes paying taxes and living aboard will not completely solve that problem anyway... but that was a cool book and made ya think of alternative lifestyles).

OK, I''m ramblin'' now. I had better log off for the night. Take care!

PS: Yes, 4Knots... I would agree with you too... Living aboard would be preferrable to being tied down to a house in the terrorist scenario... Mobile is better! That Privacy book I mentioned earlier talks greatly about being prepared for anything!

mark
http://www.geocities.com/thebloodswordsaga
Old 03-09-2003

toucantook is on a distinguished road

Get a Dickenson heater or some such contraption. Dry heat to the point that I have to leave a tea kettle on for the vapor. This boat has never seen midew.
Old 12-30-2008
MI RHON II

mirhon is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to mirhon
Yes, I agree with all of you. Living aboard a boat is a state of mind. No better place in the world to live in the summers but wow then you have winters as well. Although I was living on my boat in Dana Point California and the winters are not that severe, it still gets pretty wet and cool outside. I was fortunate enough to live aboard for over 2 years and won't change that part of my life for anything. I have stated in other posts here also that my future wife has decided to live aboard so lucky me here we go again. For me the only boat I really am interested in is the Catalina 36, but she can talk me into a larger one if she would like. But Reid, no matter what boat you have, give it a try.
Old 01-01-2009

CaptainForce will become famous soon enough
Ried, I agree with Tony that planning is key. I staring my plans when I was in college, as you, and the last year before moving aboard my wife and I lived in a portion of a small trailer in order to adapt to the space. For me, the "state of mind" is the desire for independence and self-reliance. Fourknots suggests the importance of this with the "terrorist attack" scenario, but it can be expressed with numerous events. I remember hiding out at anchor in a protected cove during a hurricane and enjoying my electricity, water, cooking and communications while the neighborhood ashore was without. We raised two children aboard, who now live ashore, and enjoyed the close family that comes with the lifestyle. We bought our first liveaboard sailboat in 1971 and have never owned a home ashore. We've spent years at a marina, working weekdays and sailing vacations and weekends and we've spent years fulltime cruising with ownership of nothing that is not on the boat. We are now in our sixties and starting our 38th year of living aboard. We are latitude coastal cruisers seasonally sailing from Maine to the Bahamas. We share community in about 20 ports that we frequent. I can not imagine making another choice in life for me. 'take care and joy, Aythya crew
Old 01-01-2009
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Check dates folks...you're adressing people who are no longer here!