Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2010

tager is on a distinguished road
I love my Haida 26. Standing headroom, a functional galley, a nice berth, what more can you ask for? The previous owner lived aboard for seven years and treated her well. 26 is about the minimum size to have a head, hanging locker, standing headroom, and reasonable size berths and galley. Smaller than that and you must compromise one of these things for the others.

I would not go larger than 30'. For a single guy who is trying to get away, it is not worth it. Every foot you add to your boat is a year less cruising in your lifetime...
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-07-2010

solman55 is on a distinguished road
Thanks guys. I will look around and I have a friend that used to live on a sailboat until she had a kid so I figure she can lend some good advice. I will call around to some marinas tomorrow and find out prices to see who charges what for live aboard and if there is a minimum size. Thanks for the encouragment, but i am not going at this half cocked, I plan on doing tons of research and even if I do not move out until I am 22 I will know that I made the right decision. Either way if you guys could suggest some brands from low end to high end so that I can get a good idea of which ones are higher and lower end before I look at them.
Thanks
Old 03-07-2010

wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about
I agree with most of the others, go for it. Have fun!

Please support my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-07-2010

Thanks guys. Not to sound pushy but I still am not sure what brands are considered high end brands and low end brands.
Thanks
Old 03-08-2010

imagine2frolic is on a distinguished road
I can't agree with every single foot you add to a boat is a year less of cruising in your life. Just where is the truth in that statement?

My first boat was 30ft., and it was comfy for me. It would've been fine for honeymooners, but would've been tight after a while for 2. I would give some thought to the future, and not just today's wants. BEST WISHES in finding a vessel to serve you well..........i2f

BORROWED, No single one of us is as smart as all of us!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 03-08-2010

kd3pc is on a distinguished road
Sol

Before any one jumps, I currently own a hunter...and I would say it tops off the low end sailboats, nothing wrong with any in this group:
Hunter
Jeaneau
Beneteau
Catalina
Seidelman
Bavaria
Cal
MacGregor

Higher End
Island Packet
Pacific Seacraft
Tartan
Cabo Rico, some of them, others seem to have been made ??
Sabre (owned a very affordable 38, awesome boat quality, poor sleeping for two)

Higher Yet
Swan
Shannon
Able
Passport
Hinckley
Oyster
Halberg Rasey
Dufour

Now that you have a list, visit a few and see for your self. I have seen some late 70's Swans that needed so much work, as to make them almost worthless, but the name prevails.

We sold our Sabre as the Vberth was just un workable for two 50-somethings to crawl all over each other to get in and out. Entertaining, but annoying at 2am...

All boats have issues and are compromises, even new ones. These are one man's opinions, others will share theirs.

Best of luck, it is an awesome lifestyle
Old 03-08-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by kd3pc View Post
Sol

Before any one jumps, I currently own a hunter...and I would say it tops off the low end sailboats, nothing wrong with any in this group:
Hunter
Jeaneau
Beneteau
Catalina
Seidelman
Bavaria
Cal
MacGregor

Higher End
Island Packet
Pacific Seacraft
Tartan
Cabo Rico, some of them, others seem to have been made ??
Sabre (owned a very affordable 38, awesome boat quality, poor sleeping for two)

Higher Yet
Swan
Shannon
Able
Passport
Hinckley
Oyster
Halberg Rasey
Dufour

Now that you have a list, visit a few and see for your self. I have seen some late 70's Swans that needed so much work, as to make them almost worthless, but the name prevails.

We sold our Sabre as the Vberth was just un workable for two 50-somethings to crawl all over each other to get in and out. Entertaining, but annoying at 2am...

All boats have issues and are compromises, even new ones. These are one man's opinions, others will share theirs.

Best of luck, it is an awesome lifestyle
I'd point out that most of the higher yets don't make or didn't make many boats smaller than 30' LOA... and as such are probably way out of the OPs price range.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-08-2010

Thanks for the information it is very much appreciated but one more questions what years should I look for. I know an older boat has possible issues so what is the oldest year I should even consider?
Old 03-08-2010
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough
I'd suggest that for a true liveaboard standing headroom is important where ever you cook and dress. Things get really old really fast without headroom for those functions.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

Old 03-08-2010
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road
older boats ar egreat especially for a youngun like yerself--lol--i live on board a formosa 41--lol--lots of room inside and sails as well---can go anywhere ... the slip fees are still smaller than renting an apartment--living on land is very spensive.....some folks donot enjoy living on boats so they will always promote land residences--others have plenty of money so they promote expensive boats--some have smaller incomes and promote .....
every one is different --is why this world is interesting----walk docks and cruise yachtworld to look for boats you like the lines of---then seek a boat not being sold by a broker--lol---they need their commission so they will promote that which will yield most dough for them...there are many boats in fla for sale---just have to look for what YOU like---donot rely on the opinions of others---lol you will have to live with the results--they dont!!!! there are many makes and designs of boats--look inside and outside the boat for what you like....goood luck.....i have owned for residences many boats in different cali locales---lol----i like the formosa the best--is most flexible as for use....westsail is also a decent boat--much headroom....heavy for long range cruising--in fla there are many places to go for cruising--so that may be a factor for you to consider....if you like the plastic fantastics, there are many to choose from --but do not expect them to be deep blue water ready or even blue water capable!!!! the hinkleys and swans ans masons are high dollar boats yet the over all problems with them include the aging and disrepair of wooden decking--lol---same as formosa and hardin and force..LOL....also known as leaky teakies--i love my leaky teaky and prefer the old time look of her..lol....i also own a 35 ericson---lol...is a more modern look and is fast and goood for coastal cruising and catalina/island hopping..short range as the water and fuel tanks only hold 20-25 gal each--much to look for in a boat--narrow down the basic kind of boat you desire--whether a coastal cruiser, weekender or long range cruiser--takes some time to really get a good handle on what you truly want...how much depth , how much beam, how far can it go without a fuel stop or water stop...how much "stuff" can it carry--lots to consider--have fun--looking for the right boat is just as much fun as sailing it!!!!.

as far as high end and low end---depends on pricing lol...the high end boats are expensive and keep value for the most part--low end is cheeeepo and acts it..lol...then there are the tough old birds--formosa and ct and westsail--that are heavy and most always able to be repaired so as to be deep blue seaworthy....do get a survey of the boat you intend to purchase--as the survey is on th ebuyer--make good and sure you really want to get into the boat before buying the survey unless you have more bux than ..........

Last edited by zeehag; 03-08-2010 at 11:44 AM. Reason: boatkat isunt awake and broakd speelchix...lol