Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2010

Architeuthis is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
... the slip fees are still smaller than renting an apartment--living on land is very spensive.....some folks donot enjoy living on boats so they will always promote land residences-- ..........
It isn't promoting land residences when pointing out the fallacies in such an opinion as land residences being more expensive. You have a large boat so maybe you can rent an apartment that gives you the same volume but for smaller boats, like those in the 30’ range, all apartments will be huge with much more living space and amenities.

Apples to apples would mean comparing slip fees to rooms, not apartments, houses and as some have mansions. It would also be small rooms that do not require tens of thousands of dollars be invested and risked before renting.

In the town just up the hill for the same cost as my slip fees, I can get a pretty good sized room that is larger than my boat in volume. I know I looked at them for winter use. In more than one case I would have access to my own washroom and shower. Included would be electrical and heat and I would not have to haul water for two months out of the year or walk 1km for a trip to the washroom.

Of course we love boats so we tell ourselves how much cheaper they are which is fine, I do the same but it isn’t fair to suggest to someone that we don’t do that. We make it cheaper by accepting the lack of amenities or comfort because we see in this life something more important and nicer than money.

Which is what the OP seems to be after so I’m sure he can make it work, even if it costs more, which it very well might.
Have faith that the oceans are going to rise and flood the world, that plague and pestilence brought on by Climate Change is going to punish us for not believing. Please do as they say it is our only hope. :P
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-08-2010
Meat Popsicle

nailbunnySPU is on a distinguished road
Boats from the 70s don't have the blister problems that 80s boats have. That said, with a newer boat all systems are new.

I live on a 30, similar to a catalina 30 or so I've heard. The surveyor gave it a fair market value around your range, but the "market" now is not "fair"! You may find yourself getting the boat you're looking for less. That catalina you're looking at better be in great condition with a few expensive extras like a roller furler & dodger. Craigslist and ebay are good places to look for yuppies that are too lazy to get a good price.

I wouldn't live in smaller than a 27, but to each their own. Head+holding tank is important. I fill up a 12gal tank in no time.

I know for a fact that marina living can be far, far, cheaper than dirt dwelling in my area. You can get a 33' slip for $3200/y, power+liveaboard $115/mo, in a neighborhood where you can get a crappy appartment for $1k/mo!!!!!! There's a lot of incidentals but most of them add value to the boat, and the entry fee is steep. What's more, if you like the life and can't relo, you could might take to a condo marina, lay down 20 grand and get a slip forever, rent income when you're out.

What you're looking for in a liveaboard is
-hull liner, overhead liner, insulation. enough of it and condensation is not a problem
-AC outlets with big amperage, if you're gonna run space heaters. mine didn't have enough wiring to keep warm!
- big holding tank, water tank
- less teak exposed to weather
- nothing crazy like a wood hull
- cooking facilities, propane is best
-engine, diesel is best
- icebox. if it's well-insulated, check to make sure you havent' slipped into a bizarro alternate universe. marine refrigerators are $$$$$$$$, big big bonus

You don't seem to be looking for one, but i think it's worth saying, it's a bear to live on a "project boat". I wouldn't take the introduction to living aboard and advanced boat repair on the same day.

Last edited by nailbunnySPU; 03-08-2010 at 02:56 PM.
Old 03-08-2010
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road
my moorage fees are 130.month--hard to beat that and still have the space i have in a formosa 41--lol-----rethinking slip and considering mooring is a big step but one a 21 yr old wouldnt find too objectionable as an adventure--lol and still be on the water!!!
beats renting a room...LOL
Old 03-09-2010

solman55 is on a distinguished road
I called the local marina and they said like 100 a month so I think I am going to go for it.
Old 03-09-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by solman55 View Post
I called the local marina and they said like 100 a month so I think I am going to go for it.
Is that for a mooring or a marina slip? I seriously doubt that you can get a liveaboard marina slip for $1200 a year. There is a big difference between living aboard a boat on a mooring versus one at a slip.

On a mooring, you will need to use the head on the boat more than you would if you are at a slip. This means you need to have a perfectly functioning head or you, your boat and your stuff will smell like sewage. You will also have to pump out your holding tank far more often.

On a mooring you won't have access to shore power. This means you will need to have some sort of passive electrical generation to re-charge your batteries—either solar or wind. IMHO, using your engine to recharge your batteries is unwise. This also means you won't have easy access to cable TV or 110 VAC, which is often available at a slip.

On a mooring, you're also going to have to consider how you're going to get to and from the boat. Either you'll need to have a dinghy or use a launch service. Going grocery shopping, getting water, etc is all more complicated when you live on a mooring. Getting to the boat or off the boat is a lot more difficult in heavy weather. Owning a dinghy gives you more flexibility, but using a launch service is more convenient. However, using a launch service means that the hours you can get to or leave your boat are limited.

If you haven't considered all of this, you probably should before making the leap.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-09-2010

I did not think about that. I will call again tomorrow to find out if that was for mooring or a live aboard slip. I will find out tomorrow because I would rather have a wet slip where I could have restroom and shower facilities available I have had to dump sewage at work and that sucks so keeping that to a minimum would be great.
Old 03-10-2010

tomwatt is on a distinguished road
Good for you! And yes, check on what you're getting first, rowing to the dock in a rainstorm on your way to work - or a hot date - isn't the best of options.
But definitely go for it. At age 60, I'm looking back thinking, "wish I'd done that when I was younger."
Reminder to check all through-hulls on whatever boat you get. And recheck. It would suck to come home after a long day to find your "home" sitting on the bottom with the mast sticking up out of the water.
Old 03-10-2010

hehe thanks for the advice, I plan on having the boat surveyed by a professional marine surveyor to make sure that does not happen and plan to have a redundant bilge system to avoid those unfortunate issues.
Old 03-15-2010

Hey Guys/Gals whats up, I have been looking at several different boats and have recently seen a C&C and a Newport those seem to be rather nice boats for the money. I saw a Newport 30 which seem to be quite common here and it is very nice for 14k which would leave room for improvements and upgrades as needed. But what I am wondering is what is your experience with these brands. I plan to do some cruising with the boat I would like to eventually when I feel more comfortable with the boat take it down to the keys from pensacola so it would be a nice long haul so I want to be sure the boat will be a sound vessel.
Thanks
Old 03-15-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
It would help if you said which C&C it was, as some were better regarded than others, as is the case with almost all brands.

There was a thread a while back on the Newport 30, which you can read HERE.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.